I've got a plan to make pawns more "alive"

Started by Reize81, December 13, 2018, 11:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reize81

I am playing this game for some (rather long) time now.

It always felt strange to me that pawns use their private room for sleeping and that's it. Yes I know, they meditate and they pray and they spend time hiding in their room when they have a breakdown. But to be honest this does not feel like "doing" something. At least not to me.

The next thing that always bugged me is that one should not place tables in private rooms because all pawns will use them to eat their meals. That ruins the immersion. I would like to place tables in rooms. Rooms without tables feel incomplete to me. I like the mini table mod - but because of the meal consumption problem it makes no sense to me to place tables in private rooms.

So the solution for me would be a "personal recreation work table". In essence that would be a crafting spot that looks like a table and that automatically restricts all available jobs to the pawn or pawns that are assigned to a bed within a 5 tile radius. To make it more personal I would like it that the player could not choose which jobs a pawn does at his personal recreation table. The pawn could do anything. Craft a gun. Tailor a duster. Make a statue. Cook a meal ... and so on. Just like anybody does at home. I/ve got friends who like to paint. Others like to cook. Skilled people create amazing stuff in their free time at home. This could simulate that behaviour.
I would like it if the jobs would be done in the time set for "recreation" in the restrict tab only. And obviously there should be at least a 3x multiplier for the time/amount of work needed to be done at the personal recreation table.

What do you think ? Good idea ? Doable ?

Sadly I can't mod myself. But I thought I would share this idea.

JackWearskin

Are you a manager in real life?

You basically want your pawns to work during their break.

Reize81

no that's not my intention. My pawns got a variety of recreation they can choose from. billard, hoopstone, chess and so on.
My intention is to make private rooms more like an apartment. Right now there is no point in making private rooms larger than 2x2 for single beds or 3x3 for double beds because the activities to do in the private room are very limited.
I would like my pawns to have a hobby. Sure you can call making an armor "work". But if you are in the late game and for example you've unlocked marine armor and your pawn starts to make a wooden plate armor in his private room for fun I would not call this work. It's like making a traditional samurai armor in your free time. It's got no use but it's pretty cool.

And to me really important: I don't want to be able to tell them what to create. It should be random. They should create what they want. And they should use the materials they like (random). I don't want this to be usefull, I want this to have flavour.

Moreover I don't want to add too much new content to the game. I don't care if they paint or sculpture or create jewelry in their free time. But the only "art" in the game are sculptures. So if they choose to do "art" at their personal recreation table the outcome will be a sculpture - because there is no other art option available. But to me that's ok.

Moreover I would like to make this slower than at the regular work tables. Because they don't have the special tools in their private rooms.

Canute

RimWriter
-Features
  * Libraries that colonists will go into, pick out books to read, read them for joy, and return them when they're done.
  * Customized text generation for tablets, books, and journals.
  * Compatiblity with Lord of the Rims and Call of Cthulhu mods.
    - Writing reduces sanity loss over time.
    - Future compatability with storing Grimoires and Wizard textbooks inside bookcases/scrollcases.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=45847.0

But other's sound for me like you want The Sim's into Rimworld ! :-)