Is it worth it to play without mods?

Started by Chesssx, December 20, 2018, 11:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesssx

Recently, I have been playing a heavily modded game. Some of my favorite mods in it are Rimatomics and More Doors, but I have been wondering if it is worth it to play without mods. I have never really done a dedicated "no mods" run that has lasted more than 5 years. Is it more fun to play without them?
Remember that enemies get turned into hats, colonists get turned into chemfuel unless they are a pyro then they get to burn alive.

Canute

It is different.
After each Rimworld released i played at last one plain vanilla playthrough.
Mosttimes just to see how "new feature" are working.
General i say mod's are basicly little cheat's to made it easyer for me to play. Sure a few mod's enhance the difficult but these are only very few.
I suggest to everyone to play at last one or more playthroughs with plain vanilla, so you get the felling about the difference to play with mods.

Demoulius

Well ive never played with mods and I enjoy the game just fine  ;D

To each their own though, depends on what youre looking for in the game :)

Yoshida Keiji

Plus one more guy who has played Vanilla exclusive since my very start in Alpha 16 and have more than 5.000hs on Steam count all without any mods.

I just started using 3 mods now from Tozenbo, Japanese who made things look... Japanese... And I would have never ever bother to check this out if it wasn't because I think version 1.0 is a very fucked up build. I am playing other games now and RimWorld was left to rot in my Steam Library but the Zipangu series I play only when I feel some nostalgia about this game. Oh, and I switched to A17 which I think is the last decent Alpha...long before even Advanced Components appeared. From A18 onwards I only launched the SpaceShip once per Alpha and then never again... in v1.0... I played two unstable games and could "not" even start the last third of the game.

Just like Canute says... (like)...to me, mods look like cheats.

[attachment deleted due to age]

5thHorseman

There are a few UI/UX mods that I consider critical (Call it cheating if you want, I call it knowing at a glace that everybody has a weapon) but almost all of the almost 500 hours I've played the game, the "rules" of the game have been basically vanilla.

And I have had a pretty awesome time.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Shurp

I've been looking for a mod that expands gameplay but I never really found one that I liked... I generally just play vanilla with a few tweaks (eg: extending the range on charge rifles to 35 so they're not useless).  But if I could find a mod which offered a variety of late-game weapons or made armor useful I would probably go for that.

In the meanwhile, my 3 year old colony still only has 17 wolves from the two I captured in the first year 1... I have no idea if I'll ever have enough to butcher for food.  And I should have charge rifles researched in another year end so I can start going out and start knocking over outposts and such.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.