[HELP] trying to update a mod from A14 to 1.0

Started by sk031119, December 16, 2018, 10:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sk031119

Hi, I really enjoy the game with all the mods that playable since I join at a9, and it finally comes to 1.0. I really want to see some of my favorite coming back to Rimworld while the author no longer update the mods for some reasons. I have two mods here and I want to update them back and working in 1.0. But I am really new to modding, is there anyway I can learn how to updating these mods without learning modding form step 1 or better learn from basics ? i got some experience on C# and java but not xml or dll.

Here are the mods I would like to see them live again:

Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5)(dead at a14)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731693333&searchtext=Zombie+Apocalypse

someone did update it to a17 but it is not official and it didi not post on steamworkshop

Wave Survival [Game Mode](dead at a14)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732261506&searchtext=wave+surival

I don't see something similar since this, someone say it could be remade with scenario but it does not have the effect of loot drop between waves and the events

Someone would say there are some replacement and I tried them, it did not make me enjoy as some features missing or just didn't work as good as them, i really want them works again, is there anything I could do?

Canute

About Zombies why you don't try
Zombieland
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46548.0

And about wave survival,
It was a raid every x days, you can add a similar things at the Scenario, a Raid with repeating every x days.
And so far i remember some resource drops too, you could add resource pod and ship chunks repeating.

sk031119

Yea zombieland is a good zombie mod and I pretty enjoy it but there is something missing compare the one I posted above, something like lootable and inventor for the zombies, airborne zombie virus(as an event but not setting) and the little status that shows zombie is active and ending a horde by just killing all the zombie on board (temporarily)
sometimes i just like get meshed my pawns cannot go to work while the horde is overrunning me oh also something like all zombie have their own name rather than just zombie, and they should deserve a story .

the raid also the same, the Scenario doesn't work like better loot drop over time and under a high frequency u can't live without the increasingly better loot drop
also, some minor things again like temporary disable raid and no siege raid something like that and loot drop beacon and oh wave survival counters etc
I am looking for something little more detailed and the existing mod doesn't match my expectation, that's why I want to rework them

Mehni

Quote from: sk031119 on December 16, 2018, 10:07:09 AM
But I am really new to modding, is there anyway I can learn how to updating these mods without learning modding form step 1 or better learn from basics ? i got some experience on C# and java but not xml or dll.

There are a few tutorials (some less out of date than others) and about 2000 up-to-date mods to learn from. Most of them have source, some of them are even made by people who know exactly what they're doing. :P

There's a learning curve and you can't expect to make a mod without knowing at least something. Bad news: it's gonna take effort and a time commitment, even after it's been released.

red3dred

All i can say is, perhaps you're taking a step longer than your legs, biting more than you can chew-- Starting modding by updating a project that is not yours, with a complex way past XML defs. This is the kind of thing that would require assemblies (DLL's), and i don't even dare step that far into modding.... So, yeah, good luck to you, hopefully you can get those mods going! Wave survival sounds like fun.

As for helping, i'm afraid most modders already have their hands full with other things, but indeed, learning from the sources of mods can be useful, but isn't anywhere as good as being taught how to do things.

LWM

I hate to point it out, but the Zombieland mod owner hasn't given anyone permission to change their code, have they?  Unless they included a license somewhere in the mod?

It's really important, modders - if you make a mod, put a clear license (preferably open source) in it (with a rider Ludeon Studios can use it in the main game if they want! ;) )