Looking for infos regarding long loading times with modded games

Started by Kenneth, December 18, 2018, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sosltice_The_Tech_Marine

It normally takes about 46 seconds for me to load vanilla rimworld, but about 18.07 minutes to load my current mod list.

MB: Intel 0GDG8Y
CPU: I5-2320 @ 3.00 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 750 TI
SSD/HDD: SSD

[attachment deleted due to age]

Auraknight

14 minute load time, spent whole thing with Rimworld in-focus. This is a reduced modlist, mind. With the full list, it takes 40 minutes. (also previously timed) You'll excuse me for not wanting to spend an hour for a log mid-week! If you want the full mod list, gimmie a shout, and I'll do it when I have time to check back up on it. I have a feeling the problem is exponential? I only trimmed off 1/5th of my mod list, and reduced the loading time in half from the 40 minute one.

32gb ram
SSD
64bit Windows 10
Intel i7 @ 2.80 GHz
GTX980M

Canute

Kenneth,
maybe you should add at your first posting that people should enable Verbose logging at the options.
Then the log contain the time how long Rimworld take for earch step.
To see the difference check this log.
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/c82fb0ebec1d2396ca26fa902d701880

Coomby

It currently takes around 18 minutes to access the main menu with run in background enabled. After loading into a game, I typically have to wait another 10-15 minutes for my research tab to load due to Fluffy's OP research tab. Worth the wait imo  ;D

300+ mods

Intel I7-3770k(not overclocked)
16gb RAM
Intel DZ77GA Mobo
Titan X 12gb GPU
Rimworld is currently installed on a Samsung SSD(EVO)

My Logfile and modlist are attached to this post.

***Added logfile with verbose logging enabled***

Kenneth

Quote from: Canute on December 19, 2018, 05:23:42 PM
Kenneth,
maybe you should add at your first posting that people should enable Verbose logging at the options.
Then the log contain the time how long Rimworld take for earch step.
To see the difference check this log.
https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/c82fb0ebec1d2396ca26fa902d701880

You are correct, i edited the first post to include infos on how to enable it. Everyone having this issue, please rerun the game with verbose logging enabled and reupload your logfile.

Zaltys

Updated mine to verbose (previous page). And noticed this in it:
<...>
- 60ms Load language metadata.
- 5644ms Loading language data: English
- 1329ms Copy all Defs from mods to global databases.
- 9849ms Resolve cross-references between non-implied Defs.
- 204ms Rebind defs (early).
- 390ms Inject selected language data into game data (early pass).
- 1008ms Generate implied Defs (pre-resolve).
- 0ms Resolve cross-references between Defs made by the implied defs.
- 171ms Rebind DefOfs (final).
- 4099ms Other def binding, resetting and global operations (pre-resolve).
- 2055693ms Resolve references.
- 22ms Generate implied Defs (post-resolve).
- 6ms Other def binding, resetting and global operations (post-resolve).
- 4209ms Error check all defs.
- 9ms Load keyboard preferences.
- 429ms Short hash giving.

As you can see, the resolve references part is by far the slowest. There are other things that take a few minutes, but that took 34.

ambivalence

would be so great to solve it somehow, to run the initialization multithreaded or something. even though it's possible to way half an hour to run the game if you want to play it (half an hour, Karl), it's completely impossible to experiment with the load order of mods, adding something new, bugchecking etc. thanks for trying to solve it.

eksynn

took me about an hour to load the game with 216 mods in the folder xD; (i was timing it, but i literally fell asleep waiting)
attached are my dxdiag results (system specs), along with the output log (i didn't close the game, so the last few lines might be strange) and my mods list

Ira671

CPU:AMD A10-46000 APU WTH RADEON(TM) HD GRAPHICS  2.30GHz
Memory: INSTALLED MEMORY RAM 8.00GB (7.47 GB USABLE)
SSD: HITACHI HTS547575A9E384 (686 GB)

I am one of those who it takes more than 30 minutes to load into a game (at least the main menu or when I'm done fixing my mods.) Loading to generate a world takes a minute or two. I actually tried to make new games but end up adding more mods which end up making my load take longer.

EDIT: I finally timed it. Takes at least 2-3 hours to load my game. I also don't know how to upload my mod listing if someone can give a step by step process that would be much appreciated. Thank you.

NobodyImportant

CPU: Intel Core i5 M480 2.67GHz 2.67Ghz
RAM: 8GB (7.8GB usable)
HDD: HGST HTS541010A9E680 931GB
HDD Read: 0.3-80MB/s
HDD Write: 1-76MB/s
ModsActive: 160
ModsInstalled: 189
ModFolder size: 808MB
Loading time: 30-40 minutes in background, 20-30 minutes when only application and in foreground.
Hugslib Log: https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/4608b55c359b77d601aacbedab9289c8

The real kicker here is that i used to be able to run Fallout 4 with 4GB RAM and 180 mods that were 20 GB altogether and at the very worst i'd get load times of 5-15 minutes.

Meanwhile the 2D Rimworld with a measly 800MB in 160 mods, is loading for half an hour.

Oh and this part "Please also make sure that you have "Run in background" enabled or keep the game window in focus while its loading. If this option is disabled and you're not having rimworld in the foreground while loading the loading process will stop entirely until you bring it into focus again." is inaccurate.
The loading process will only stop twice without focus. Once right at the start around when the steam overlay activates, and once before building the research tree when memory is being reclaimed although this second one doesn't always happen. Other than these points the game loads basically just as fast in the background as when i am watching those dots blinking.

Canute

QuoteThe loading process will only stop twice without focus. Once right at the start around when the steam overlay activates, and once before building the research tree when memory is being reclaimed although this second one doesn't always happen. Other than these points the game loads basically just as fast in the background as when i am watching those dots blinking.
Maybe the steam version is different.
I modify my desktop shortcut, so it minimize on start.
When i disable the "Run at background" option, the game don't start up. Doesn't matter how long i wait.

forahilarm

Been meaning to chime in here, but I had dev mode off for the longest time and it pains me to boot this game up at all anymore Lol.

Intel Core i5-6400 @270GHz
SSD
16GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

256 Mods installed
230 Mods Active
Load time is about 40 minutes.

ayyyy lmao

ozzymandias

Quote from: Canute on December 30, 2018, 09:57:01 AM
QuoteThe loading process will only stop twice without focus. Once right at the start around when the steam overlay activates, and once before building the research tree when memory is being reclaimed although this second one doesn't always happen. Other than these points the game loads basically just as fast in the background as when i am watching those dots blinking.
Maybe the steam version is different.
I modify my desktop shortcut, so it minimize on start.
When i disable the "Run at background" option, the game don't start up. Doesn't matter how long i wait.

I can confirm, I have the steam version and i'm seeing the same thing as he is.

I'm very happy this thread was started as I play a heavily modded rimworld and it's been taking several hours for rimworld to load up to the main screen. It barely takes 2 mins to load with no mods but i've got about 200 running. I'll be posting the information required soon and i hope it'll help with find a solution to this issue.

Tynan

I moved this thread to General since it's fair critical and we want to get as much info as possible. Thanks to all those giving info so far!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

YokoZar

Quote from: Canute on December 19, 2018, 12:44:13 PM
Or maybe "Run at background" only start to work once the game is loaded and a safegame is loaded.
I allready made this suggestion at B18 :-)
I think this would be a better experience in general.  Players aren't expecting to have the game not bother loading when they alt-tab out of the load screen, especially by default.