Jetpacks

Started by BetaSpectre, July 14, 2014, 12:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BetaSpectre

Its mostly to allow colonists to get a drop on anywhere on the map. Raiders have drop pods so why can't colonists employ a similar tactic on raiders when they siege you?

Also due to the high rate of mental decay out in the field zipping in and out quickly has great benefits.

Our colonists live in a sci fi era and their gear should reflect it. Heck maybe only allow this when you've finished building the ship (IMO the ship should be manned and allow transport around the map or to a new map to begin again but with an option for the same planet or not)

I'd also like to see the ship being able to be armored and fitted with guns for you know combat.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

iskillzi

I could see something like this being used for raiding enemy colonies and potentially thinning their ranks, but just for traveling around the map it might be a little op since it'd be able to fly over stuff..

BetaSpectre

True True avoiding disadvantageous terrain may be a little OP, I'd like to be able to play the raider part sometime though.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

iskillzi

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 14, 2014, 12:39:30 AM
True True avoiding disadvantageous terrain may be a little OP, I'd like to be able to play the raider part sometime though.

Could always be done by simply adding a raider mode like some other games have where all you do is literally play as a raid team and try to beat some crazy setups made by other players, after something like that is made creating raids in the actual game would be a lot easier to manage..

But still this is only alpha 5, these types of things I would imagine is lower priority than for example setting up the art skill so it's not useless and adding traits as they should be fairly easy to accomplish.

I would really enjoy if he took the time to add this by or before the game enters beta however.  ::)

Klaatu

I would also like to see something akin to an orbital drop. Load colonists into a space elevator (mass driver). Launch them onto the map.

Space elevator would have other delicious implications though...

StormProxy

could use some thing from planetary annihilation and add to rimworld

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Shinzy

Drop pod launchers! one way trip to where-everland!
and then a long trek back on foot

and I've never seen drop pods survive the landing so you'd need to create new one everytime out of metal
I could see a lot of possible limitations for these being denied of being used just for joyriding or "cheaty" gathering trips or whatever