Kreuger's Journal or The Chronicles of the Colony of Cosariano

Started by Chicken Breast, November 01, 2013, 08:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken Breast

Day 1 -

Well, it was not as bad as it could have been, in all honesty. I am glad we were just able to survive. Speaking of, looks like we are going to have to get to work very quickly if we want to continue to do so. No matter, with my charm and brains, Gilbert's strong working hands, and Adam's soft way with plants, we will have little trouble I am certain.

-Kreuger

Day 3 -

We have shelter, food growing, and some metal for future construction being mined out. We are off to a good start. Steady work will make this colony happen one step at a time. -K

Day 6 -

Everything is coming together. We have energy coming from a Geothermal generator just to the south, and extra reserve power funneling into batteries coming form solar arrays set up just outside near the growing areas. I am getting comfortable in a new bedroom with some long-awaited privacy and looking forward to a bright future. Also, tomorrow I will wake up to talk to a prisoner we just captured and put into the new prison, our previous sleeping quarters. A friendly chat and he should be up to join us. At least, I hope so, we desperately need a miner! -K

Day 7 -

Tragedy today, as a raider scout was found outside our base. Our first experience with death in quite some time, and I am still a little shocked by how it all happened. Gilbert is building defenses as I write this, in expectation that this is only the beginning of a long war with raiders. I had often heard stories about raiders and how they had all ambition just to burn down everything you loved, to mock and defile it as devils so well do. Oh well, we did not lose anyone, not yet. We just had to kill him, though Adams did take a bullet. I have already treated the wound, and I expect she will be working tomorrow, determined and stubborn as she is. On another note, the prisoner we captured yesterday joined us fairly quickly. He goes by Gomez, he says. He is welcome to be here so long as he works, in my eyes. I don't think Adams likes him, though. -K

Day 10 -

The last day of our first cycle on this planet. I wonder if we will ever be able to find a way back to our old lives? Will we last that long? Could we find greater success here starting a new colony? Only time will tell. Me and Gilbert discussed future strategies should raiders return with more numbers, and set up a few choke points where we could have cover from sandbags and walls while firing in accompaniment with the auto turrets he had set up. We discussed putting rocks near the choke points to slow down enemy movement, but that is a low priority compared to all the things we have been working on. New bedrooms, mining further into the mountain around us to find more metal, making more defenses and outposts to defend from every possible angle.

Day 4, Cycle 2 -

Just as I thought, another attack. I took a bullet this time, and almost got my head blown clean off by a frag grenade, but Gilbert has better eyes than I do, and he saved us both! If this was a business, I would give him a raise, but since I can't, I simply suggested that he make his room bigger. I plan to further decorate all the bedrooms myself since it looks like we will be staying a while. Also, I have been researching at the new bench. Carpet might be in the future, if I can just figure it out. I almost have it! Anyway, we also captured a raider named Gallegos. Gomez took a few whacks at him since he took a bullet from the bastard too. I am going to go in in the morning to talk with him. Maybe we can make this colony grow a little more. Things might get more efficient. I can only dream. -K

Day 9, Cycle 2 -

Unbelievable. I honestly can't believe that that was how he had to die. We lost Gilbert today. Me and Adams were the most distraught about it. We dug him a grave and a quick burial took place. Me and Adams talked in praise about him over dinner and reminisced a little, but we sadly have little time for grief. As for how it happened, well...it was a matter of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Not raiders, but an electrical explosion. All the power we had saved in all those batteries, all exploded out at once in the once piece of conduit he happened to step on right at that moment. I talked to Gomez about covering all the conduit in Metal Tile and he agreed that it might help but wouldn't guarantee that no future shortages would happen.

Day 5, Cycle 3 -

A slave trader passed through Comms range today, and we had enough to offer the slavers to afford an Assassin named Avila. She is a young girl, almost 20 years old, but with a shot sharp enough to make me consider giving her control of the only M 24 we had on base. She was certainly fond of it once I gave it to her, though it doesn't seem like she talks much or anything. She is a slave, but I tried to tell her that she shouldn't feel like one here, just so long as she does her best with that sniper rifle. She spends her time walking around, from what I have seen, patrolling the area around the base behind cliffs. She has even found some good spots to snipe from. She was definitely a good investment! -K

(That is all I have so far. I will likely update this to include more later but that is all I have for now that I can remember and put into diary form. Kreuger died not too long after all of this, I definitely know that. I will try to put some other stuff together when I find the time, hope you enjoyed it so far though!)

Sig by Me!

W1Z25

Chicken Breast

Thanks man! I also forgot to say this, but I played this on Tough Cassandra, and I finally lost. I play tough on myself and start a new base when I get overrun by raiders, to give it some kind of realism. Anyway, I made it all the way to cycle 17 before finally losing everyone. I am going to continue through the story of my newest base, Raptor Rock, played with the Randy Random AI storyteller. I know there are no pictures but I hope I can do well enough describing the important points.

----
Raptor Rock.
Day 32, Hour 05
Hogan, Leader & Entrepreneur

For three cycles we have been striving in an unknown environment. The world has been surprisingly kind to us for the past thirty days, and we have had no hostile visitors. All we have seen is stragglers wandering by that we quickly captured and indoctrinated. I say we, but I did all the talking to convince them. It is not always easy, but they always get tired of the prison cell eventually. Speaking of, we are doing so well on metal that we need to expand the prison and our number of beds, if colony growth is going to continue like this.

That said, our arsenal is limited, since we have yet to encounter any raiders, and combat suppliers have not had much and have been rare themselves. What we have seen a lot of is slave traders, and that worries me a little bit about this system that we have landed in. What kind of black market system is this? We will have to be careful. Slavers are cold and calculating, and never quick to enact a plan when the odds are against them. We have defenses, with some choke points built in the mountains rigged with blasting charges and auto turrets. Hopefully they will suffice, but there is no telling in what number we will encounter them. They often send too many, or at least that is what I was told by one of the colonists we picked up from the surroundings who had survived a raid from another colony that had been destroyed completely.

I was determined not to let that happen to us. Luckily, today a combat supplier stopped by and I was able to acquire us a beautiful M-24 Sniper Rifle. Lozano, our Assassin, was ecstatic to get a hold of it, and I felt a little more safe almost immediately. I can only feel under constant threat now, however, as I know there has been too much peace to last. There will be a raid soon, and I hate to jinx us that way, but I know it in my gut to be true.

I will consult the construction crew about some new defenses, and maybe that new Scientist, Long will have some ideas that can help. I know we need better defenses, and I honestly wish we could set up a shooting range or something, maybe even a small arena to practice melee combat, that way we could be more prepared beyond past experiences, but we don't have time for that anyway, so instead we decided that we should set up some more sandbags, including some inside the entrances that way we have a fall back option. I got Robbins, the Brawler, to agree to set up an ambush near the entrance closest to any enemy invaders, should we have any, and he was actually enthusiastic. I like all these people so far, and I am very impressed with how well this new colony, Raptor Rock, is doing.

This is Hogan, and this is my journal.

---
Day 34

I knew it. Today, we were hit by raiders. Their numbers weren't as large as I initially expected, but that too worries me. I fear that they may have just been a scouting party. One did manage to get away, but we managed to capture another one. He did say that there were more raiders, but he didn't say when they would come. I converted him to our side. I'll make sure he is on the front line when I hear that alarm go off.

As far as the blasting charges, they were a huge success! It only took four, placed well with a little predictability, to kill six of the entire ten of them. The other four were no match for the squad of six manning the defenses led by Lozano. We need to set up our defenses for the next time though, I know there are more to come, and I know just the plan for them.

---
Day 48
Long, Scientist

Ex-Military Researcher Long here to report that the keeper of this journal has been changed to me. Hogan, the lovable and sociable salesman that was so popular here, died in a surprise raid. They landed close, and blindsided us. He was caught in the crossfire in the worst of situations, and died promptly, shot down like a wild animal. Our defenses quickly rose to the occasion, and spurned by the sight of Hogan's death, defeated the odds against them. Well-armed raiders with explosives and assault rifles attacked us in numbers upwards of twenty.

Nobody could see how many got away, but we know the body count was twenty-two, and we took another two prisoners. We were able to thin them out with some baiting tactics mixed with blasting charges. After an explosion here and there, a sniper bullet placed accurately into the leader charging into the fray, the raiders promptly decided that they needed a better plan and retreated. We got one or two of them while they were turning tail, and we were quick to celebrate, though we didn't have too much time too.

On that note, big projects coming up. We have been smoothing stone around the base and stockpiling metal. I estimate all the metal we have planned to mine out, including what we are just waiting to haul, to be about 3000 units of metal, and by then we will be ready to work on new construction projects. We have not decided on a new leader, and I don't think the colony really feels right appointing one. We all just sort of kept doing what we had been doing before, and leaving decisions to votes or the most experienced. The warden was changed to a noble we captured though, nobody really liked the idea of having that position besides him, anyway.

We have lost a total of six people so far, and killed about thirty-five raiders. I like that ratio, though I would prefer our number of deceased colonists to stay in the single digits. I have great fear that this will not remain true for long, but I do believe that this colony will strive for a long time to come. Raptor Rock is a good place, and a place definitely worth fighting for. The six marines on base have to agree, but they have moxie when it comes to everything. No matter the struggle, they are up to it, and they basically saved us today. Them and that crazy Assassin character, Lozano. He unnerves me sometimes, when I see how cold his eyes are. I know he has taken many lives, and I honestly don't think he has any compassion left.

Not my place to say, he says, but it is no matter. He is right, I am just a scientist. I did take on this responsibility though, I figure someone has to. I look forward to the future, this place should be getting more comfortable! We found another steam geyser, and plans for another generator are already in motion. We are going to need plenty of extra power for all the plans we have coming up.

---
Day 56
Long

Raiders hit us hard today. There had to have been thirty of them, easy. I didn't get into the fray, myself, but I know that we lost Lozano. He was shot and someone tried to pull him in, but he died in the arms of Parrish, the last marine remaining from the battle now. The other three died noble deaths, and we all have had a great amount of sorrow weighing heavy on our hearts today. Again, the strategy before used consisting of choke points, blasting charges, turrets, and people behind sandbags and walls, we prevailed. The numbers are now at fourteen. That's how many warm bodies we have filling beds, and we have about eighteen available. Fortunately, we have captured more stragglers, and managed to get some new marines. Should get better from here.

We got that other generator working, and even some solar generators. The next project will be expanding our defense and our base all the way to the other mountain. We have decided that this place can get big and entirely more successful. The oafs had a good idea, suggesting putting hydroponics tables outside. I thought it was redundant, but then they explained that it would save energy, and reduce overall time taken to grow the potatoes due to the difference in time between regular potatoes and accele-potatoes. Taking this into account, I agreed with them and it has been set up. Everything is working very smoothly, and I am more than impressed by the capability of the colonists here. Hopefully things will continue to be so easy. There is no telling with this planet, however, we have seen a lot of wild animals attacking us randomly.

--

That's it so far! I will play more tonight and add on as I go! I hope you guys enjoy this, I didn't want to spam up the forum with another story thread so I just put it here! Thanks for reading, let me know if you enjoyed it or if you have any questions or suggestions, I welcome it all!

Sig by Me!

Chicken Breast

Hate to double-post, but I finished it already. I know, it didn't take long, but read what happened to the mighty Raptor Rock.

---
Day 58
Garrett, Prisoner

A dark day. I awoke in a prison cell, well furnished with actual beds instead of just bedrolls. I was still wounded, but after a while of not seeing anyone, I finally decided to wiggle out of my restraints and see if I could escape. Just as I got out, I smelled smoke. Fire overtook a wall and I was out of the prison cell easier than I had originally hoped. I saw many dead bodies, and raiders satisfied with the slaughter, departing. I found this journal and decided to leave it as a testament to the great battle fought here. I saw almost twenty colonists (I assumed they were all colonists, I might have gotten some bodies mixed up) dead, and many raiders killed.

From my deduction, it looked like they were hit from one side, then another just afterwards. From evidence, it looks like they were blindsided and attempted to make a final stand to the second wave of raiders, one of equal number to the one that had just decimated them and left. I was the only survivor. I have seen much death before, but never in so great a scale. This was no mere battle, this was a war of survival. The drive to do so was apparently not enough this day. I shall live on to tell this story, strange as it may seem as its only surviving prisoner.

---

Man, Random Randy is ruthless! He is truly random, and I have to mention almost brutal. Even Tough Cassandra isn't so crazy as to send raiders on you back to back without a break in between. My colonists were destroyed, even with all the work I had put into the defenses. Sometimes it just doesn't go well and you get overwhelmed, and I guess that is the moral of this story!

Sig by Me!

CodyRex123

Ha, playing a randy right now, and wanna know how far i am? Day 119! lol I wish i knew how to use the photos on this. ;p
Dragons!