Rim World end-game and Ending

Started by RaitzuViMate, July 14, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Having some fresh colonists crash land in your old base could be kind of interesting.  Especially if your base was designed to be run by 20 people... and now you're trying to defend it with only three...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

NephilimNexus

What the game needs for the ending:

1) Write up a few hundred short story pieces based certain triggers.

2) Code system for compiling & editing trigger-story piece connections.

3) Turn this into a narration that can be saved for posterity.

For example:

Fred (name), the a vat-grown soldier (background) who had survived many brutal battles (injury count) finally returned to his home unit (background).  Soon he retired from service (age) and lived with his wife, (relationship) Helga (name).

Helga, the sickly child who grew up to be a (background) tribal hunter (background) and has two bionic legs (medical history) returned home with her husband (relationship), Fred and continued to work as a game warden for many years (age).

Bob was a prodigy child and an inventor whom, sadly, never made it off the planet, having died from malaria (cause of death) during the third year (time of death) of the colony.

Red Hawk the tribal herbalist never imagined himself living on a Glitterworld someday.  He and his loyal dog, Sparky, were very popular curiosities.  Soon he opened an apocathary selling ancient tribal remedies and kept busy for many more years despite having a bad back that was never treated.

As you can see, the idea is that the game remembers numerous little triggers associated with every character (there's plenty of room for more, too) and weaves them into a little story for them at the end of the game.

Then the game can save all this to a file that acts as a sort of achievement/memorial wall for all the player's colonies.  Something they can look at and wax nostalgic over past games, or simply use as a measuring stick of success.

milon

Yes!  I've been thinking that exact same thing!!

Off topic:
Quote from: Shurp on May 19, 2016, 10:48:06 PM
Epic thread necromancy.  An army of the dead has awoken and is shambling towards the castle gates.  Ready the Deathcoaster!!!

Sounds like an AWESOME mod!!

JimmyAgnt007

An ongoing log of colony events that cover the death, marriage, kidnapping, killing, building, and so on of all the things.

In year 5502 an infirmary was finally built and the first patient was Tom who had his leg replaced with a bionic.

5501 The colony was starving and Phil died.  Then he was butchered and consumed by George, Tom, and his brother Steve.

Tynan

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 26, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
An ongoing log of colony events that cover the death, marriage, kidnapping, killing, building, and so on of all the things.

In year 5502 an infirmary was finally built and the first patient was Tom who had his leg replaced with a bionic.

5501 The colony was starving and Phil died.  Then he was butchered and consumed by George, Tom, and his brother Steve.

The game already records events like this in the TaleManager; someone could write a mod to express them in a story-like style. Though it would be quite difficult to make it to be totally random. Computers don't understand the significance of events, just that they happened.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Tynan on May 26, 2016, 01:49:04 PMComputers don't understand the significance of events, just that they happened.

For this problem I would suggest spending some time looking at how Crusader Kings 2 handles event logging: The player themselves gets access to a little menu tab that lets them decide for themselves what kind of events are worth noting in the chronicle and which should be ignored.

It's an easy solution and one that will make people happier than trying to automate it.

cultist

Quote from: Tynan on May 26, 2016, 01:49:04 PM
The game already records events like this in the TaleManager; someone could write a mod to express them in a story-like style.

This is going a bit off-topic, but can you provide more information about how the TaleManager works exactly? I've often wondered why what I consider big events (large raids, many colonists killed in a short timespan) never seem to make it into art crafted by pawns? And why is it so fascinated with animals on fire? :p

Kegereneku

Old thread is old,
I have always been with the idea that it's the Journey that count.
This game have a massive Re-playability, but for that it would need to actually end, things is, not everybody are motivated by a Spaceship-Ending.

So... ** UNLIMITED ENDING WORK ** someone ?

edit: I just read about the "Scenario system", nevermind.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Dread Zep

Ok so this thread is still the first thing that pops up  when you google "rimworld ship launch"

well thanks for confirming my suspicions, I kinda had a feeling the game was going to end once i finished building a ship, which was going to take some time.  now i dont care to finish it, knowing that ive built a sustainable colony was enough for me.

so I will relay my hopes and aspirations to you about what this game  could be since thats all i have left.  im not holding anything back either, i dont care if any of this is realistic, it's just what i want and curious if other people agree... while still trying to be somewhat reasonable of course

1. When you launch the ship, it should then phase into a mini-game mode much like FTL. 
a. micromanage your starship and the crew members you brought on board and go from star to star trading goods
  a1. available starship designs will therefore need a drastic over haul
b. side option to land on colonizable planets and establish trade/manufacturing/military bases
  b1. ability to land on and invade/ establish partnerships with already colonized worlds
c. side quest available to help fight some factional war.
  c1. faction war questline has you invade enemy homeworlds and fight other ships in space
  c2. given the option to seed and trade with past colonies that you've developed to help
  c3. classy points if you make defeating the enemy homeworld nearly impossible
2. elevation, like dwarf fortress.  nuff said.
3. multiplayer. impossible i know, but fantasies are fantasies.
4. massive online multiplayer in a giant persistent universe.
5. ok this is just starting to sound like an 8bit starcitizen ill just stop now, you get the idea

john pretzel

Pretty simple thing to do for now would be to watch an ending sequence within the game where the ship could scale up to pass the notion of lift off and start moving to whatever edge of the map. This could reasonably be a "sort" of ending.

Mudder

I googled Rimworld ship launch and landed here.

Makes me want to create a better ending myself. The only thing that stops me is configuration hell with getting all the modding tools properly set up and automated...
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

MikeLemmer

I imagine a better ending will be put in right before the actual release, if at all. No biggie.

Grishnerf

Alert Pops up:

You have survived for 2 Years. Congratulations!
Steam Achievement Unlocked!

- Press any key to go to Main menu

srsly: there is no ending in that game.
the "build spaceship and leave planet" Option is just there so People think they have an endgame Goal.
(most People nowadays Need rewards/goals to Play games.)
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Mudder

Absolutely. I think this game should only really end with the death and destruction of all colonists. Though still give a goal to always work towards, get in the spaceship and be transported to another area with only your ship that was damaged on the way. You have to repair it, get some upgrades, and hope the next trip is more in your favor though all the while it's just throwing different obstacles in your way.
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

submarine

What if Rimworld would team up with FTL.....