Rim World end-game and Ending

Started by RaitzuViMate, July 14, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopdevil

I really enjoyed the ship and how it played out.  It was nice having a goal.

I kinda expected a score break down though.   Something that gives you a certain amount of points based on the number of colonists that escaped and your difficulty level.  The player could be awarded for other things as well, but the bulk of the points should come from evacuating colonists.

groznij

I assumed, for some reason, that when you took off with x amount of colonists you would get to start a new colony somewhere with all those colonists. That sounded like a great reward. Like a New Game+ kind of deal. Instead I got a bit of text. Felt a lot like the elastic failure Tynan is on about. "Oh hey, you lost, sure, but your favorite colonists survived!"

Maria

It would be cool if you could see a dashboard and some animation. And have options like:

1: Attempt traveling home.
You would make it if you had enough supplies with you. Imagining that you need to stock the ship with supplies before launch. .

2: Escape to nearest sustainable planet.
Starting a new game with the characters and supplies you bring with you on the ship. This could make a whole new level, like a really rough planet with unfriendly environment: ice/dessert only.

3: Self destruct! If you dont have enough supplies to survive the journey. You can stay in the game or fly into space without ever knowing what happened to your colonists.   

Each choice gives you a little animated story. That is how I would imagine it:)

SSS

Quote from: Maria on August 30, 2014, 09:57:03 PM
It would be cool if you could see a dashboard and some animation. And have options like:

You would make it if you had enough supplies with you. Imagining that you need to stock the ship with supplies before launch. .

Starting a new game with the characters and supplies you bring with you on the ship. This could make a whole new level, like a really rough planet with unfriendly environment: ice/dessert only.

3: Self destruct! If you dont have enough supplies to survive the journey. You can stay in the game or fly into space without ever knowing what happened to your colonists.   

Cool ideas, but instead of "self destruct", why not "let AI decide" for the third option. It would leave the door open for pretty much anything, including the self destruct option. (Hey, it might still be mad at you. ._.;) No definite ending would be needed in that case, similar to the current ending.

The new game plus ideas sound pretty cool.

Shurp

Time for some thread necro.

Since this is the first link that shows up on a google search of "Rimworld Launch Ship", I thought I should update it.  There has been a modest improvement when you click "launch ship" on your AI.  You now get some sound effects, a little story blurb, end music and credits.  So it's a bit more satisfactory than the original OP's complaint.

But... something is still not quite right with it.  The music ended, the translator credits continued to scroll, and I got bored -- and discovered my mouse could scroll the credits.  OK, weird.  Then I hit "esc" and it bounced me back to the map with no colonists and nothing to do, just the ~hey, everyone is dead or gone~ message.

So are there any near term plans for developing the game ending further?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

asanbr

I used to build a ship and escape but after doing so a few times I find it is usually a boring way to go and doesn't improve the fun for me. So far I agree with most people here.

After getting to the point where I've made peace with the tribals and can defend against most pirate or mech raids, things get stable. I usually have 5-10 colonists at this point and played for 1-2 years. Either the map has plasteel and then it's a boring amount of time spent mining it, or the map doesn't and there's a much longer boring time amassing cash to buy plasteel from bulk traders. In the second case at least I try different ways of making money and improve on that, so it's actually more interesting.

I would like to add two things that people seem to miss

1. If you keep playing, eventually there will be a "wanderer joins" event and you can take it from there. I actually like this idea and find it interesting as a sort-of new game, you have just 1 person but a fully developed base, usually with energy, heating, farming, food and a weapons storage. This is definitely a different way to "start a new game". I'm not sure how raids scale to this since I haven't done it for a long time.

Same thing after getting raided and losing because everyone died. Hang around for a while on max speed and once you get a wanderer, you can restart and rebuild in the burnt out ruins of the old base. For some reason both these scenarios appeal to me.

2. I agree the end of the game (ship launch) is super boring, but I'm not asking the devs to do anything about it because I think what they are doing, adding more content to the game will make the game as a whole much more interesting, rather than changing the endgame. So I think their time is better spent on content and making the mid/lategame more interesting.

Shurp

Yeah, I agree that the ship launch ending isn't a priority.  Getting more mid/late game content is more important.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Tebor

Quote from: Maria on August 30, 2014, 09:57:03 PM

Quote from: Shurp on December 16, 2015, 05:46:36 PM
Yeah, I agree that the ship launch ending isn't a priority.  Getting more mid/late game content is more important.

Why not both? Heading out into Space with your ship and try to get "home", might be used as late-game content.
Landing (crashing) on another planet to resupply, rearm, repair, enhance the ship under different conditions could be interesting and challenging.

Shurp

Sure, starting over on another planet (as hinted at by the in-game text) with the escapees and minimal starting gear could be interesting.

laser_man6

Quote from: BetaSpectre on July 15, 2014, 07:47:49 PM
I hope that yearly updates don't whittle down to pay2win OP guns like many other games I've seen xD.

whats the point? the game is not online, just use dev mode to spawn them, https://ludeon.com/forums/Smileys/default/cool.gif

Thane

Now this was some sorcery here. It probably involved demon contracts and some sort of blood sacrifice. What word am I looking for people?
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Shurp

Epic thread necromancy.  An army of the dead has awoken and is shambling towards the castle gates.  Ready the Deathcoaster!!!

Headshotkill

I'm not sure what he's talking about, in my mind I see an epic escape from the planet with an engine failure due to arrows stuck in it and the pilot is holding the ship barely flying. Lasers fly everywhere, they escape from a black hole, darthvader suddenly comes shuffling in and and, ... I think that's enough of an ending... xD

KatherineOfSky

Quote from: Shurp on December 17, 2015, 05:31:43 PM
Sure, starting over on another planet (as hinted at by the in-game text) with the escapees and minimal starting gear could be interesting.

I'll add my voice to those who desire a continuation of the "end-game".

I just finished my first successful colony, launched the ship, and got the text hinting at another planet.... but to my surprise (and disappointment), everyone just disappeared... and all my animals now had no colonists to harvest food for them... the place was deserted.

I hoped, (and expected), that I would be able to begin a new colony in a different environment: perhaps random, perhaps guided by the player.  The ship would crash land with basic equipment, some money (maybe 50% of silver?), and around 80% of the colonists surviving.  (Some pods might have become damaged on crashing).

I grew quite attached to my colonists, and wanted to follow them on their journey!  This simple addition would add continuity to the game, being able to play with the same colonists instead of just starting over with random people. 

The idea of continuing with the base instead of the colonists seems contrary to the story of the game -- are we telling the story of the place, or of the people?

At ship-launch, much of the map has been completely mined (even on the largest settings), and there are few resources left to tap... so there's not much point to sticking with the colony.  Better to follow the colonists and have a go at a new area.

cultist

Quote from: KatherineOfSky on May 24, 2016, 03:11:40 PM
The idea of continuing with the base instead of the colonists seems contrary to the story of the game -- are we telling the story of the place, or of the people?

That's actually a very good question.
To me, it's a bit of both. Your pawns have backstories and traits, they aquire injuries and form relationships, but none of this would be happening if they were not trapped on a hostile, distant planet. When the colonists leave on the ship, I assume they head off to a better, i.e. less interesting fate. Maybe not all of them make it to the core worlds and if not, they are as likely to die as to crash somewhere else. Getting on the ship is the end of the story, or at least the end of the interesting part of it.