Rant and question

Started by Dumbarsegame, January 04, 2019, 05:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumbarsegame

>:(

Why is pathing so abysmal?  Raid happens and one of my colonists is injured so I want him to move to a hospital right away as the rest of my team can finish the raid. Instead the colonist, when I right click on bed to rest till healed, decides instead of going thru the door right behind him thinks it would be wise to run laps around the invaders first and promptly dies.  This is unbelievable and it happens way to damn often.

Also is there a way to remove the auto slow down before, during, and after a fight?  I can understand auto slowdown, but let me choose when to speed it back up.

Thanks for reply and sorry for the rant but my goodness was that aneurysm inducing.

Shurp

Do you have a screenshot of the path he took?  Pathfinding has actually been improved in the latest release, it used to be much worse.  But ordinarily a door won't stop a pawn... still, it's always helpful to check which way a pawn plans to run in combat.

As for the autoslow, I agree, it would be nice if after it kicks in we could speed it back up right away.  Especially when raiders are waiting at a gathering point and you don't plan to go out and attack them.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dumbarsegame

Sadly I rage quit and I rarely do screenshots.  The pawn was at a wall with a door behind him and the enemies were all 6+ tiles away as I was using a blot action rifle.  I turned off recruit option and told him to go to the hospital bed and the pathing had him go up to the enemies and circle them then inside.  I re-enlisted him to try to force him thru the door first and again pathing had him go to the enemies, so I let time lapse and tried again and same thing. Different paths, but always around the enemies before inside.  His que of orders was to goto bed when not enlisted and to goto waypoint when enlisted it just had him goto the enemies first. This had him killed thus the rage.

As to the game speed at least I wasnt missing a command somewhere.  While annoying not as rage inducing as the rant lol.  Around the base the pathing is great imo.  Only real quirk is when the pawns go thru the entire stock area to lay an item in the furthest from them corner lol.

Shurp

Usually the pathfinding is better than that.  Did you have some weird zones set up?  I've found that even if a pawn is recruited they will still try to walk within the zone they're permitted to move in.  So if you had excluded the door or the hallway he would stick to the rest of the zone.

(Note that a recruited pawn *can* move outside the allowed zone the pawn is set to, but they try not to and will take a crazy path from A to B... which sounds a lot like you're describing)

Alternately, did you forbid ('X') the door?  That will stop even a recruited pawn from using it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dumbarsegame

Didnt have zones set up manually. Only zones are what are naturally made as home and roofed when building.  Pawns are set to unrestricted.  Normally I would assume a one off bug but this has happened a few times, statistically less than 1 percent but sticks out so bad when happens.

Next time ill remember to screenshot(just the print screen key or is there a keyboard command in game) and post so it can be seen and better info given to help me.

I thank you very much for the attempts at troubleshooting even with my lack of helpful materials.

Side note, I hate you mr. poison ship that falls and kills a pawn out cutting a tree !!!! 

Shurp

You are having some really outstanding bad luck!  I've heard of pawns crushed by ship parts and meteorites but never had it happen to me in thousands of hours of play... wow.

Also, one of the F-keys does an automatic screenshot (I forget which) but alt-printscreen works too.