please add real food controls - pawns will "just eat kibble" for no reason

Started by MustHavKoffee, December 29, 2018, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MustHavKoffee

Please add food controls.
I'm sick of my pawns eating kibble and being really unhappy with it.
I've read tons of posts about why pawns might eat kibble but the fact seems to be they will just eat it sometimes because it is there!
I had 5 pawns. 4 were ASLEEP.
I was sitting watching this one pawn at the time.
He was shooting something. (note 4 asleep so they couldn't reserve the stack of meals)
And he didn't have "eat bleeping kibble" queued.
He killed something and then carried it in and dropped it. Then he pathed past a meal to eat kibble.
The pawn literally pathed right next to a meal just to get to the kibble.
Everyone else was asleep so no other pawn could be reserving the meal stack even.
So this idea that they just eat the kibble because the other food is reserved is not true or not always true.
Unless they can reserve stacks of meals in their sleep. If so I have another suggestion... or 3

That and I'm really tired of my highly trained hauling animals not knowing that human food is not for them.
I could understand an untrained animal, but one you've invested the time in training to be able to actually pick up and haul items is definitely highly trained.
So why wouldn't it also have been trained to not eat the human food?

derped

I noticed this too, this rather seems to be a bug, than a feature.

Prophetly

Make a Food restriction for them and manage food restriction for your pawns untick kibble thats all bruh  ;D

derped

Quote from: Prophetly on March 01, 2019, 05:49:02 PM
Make a Food restriction for them and manage food restriction for your pawns untick kibble thats all bruh  ;D

Read the post again, he says he set the restrictions, and they still eat kibble.
And that's exactly what happens if you watch carefully.

And even if you didn't set food restrictions, they should prioritize eating simple food over kibble if available, I think that makes sense, since simple food is more desirable -theoretically-, than kibble.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: derped on March 01, 2019, 06:02:00 PMRead the post again, he says he set the restrictions
I don't see that anywhere in the original post.

derped

Quote from: AileTheAlien on March 03, 2019, 11:04:07 AM
Quote from: derped on March 01, 2019, 06:02:00 PMRead the post again, he says he set the restrictions
I don't see that anywhere in the original post.

Quote from: derped on March 01, 2019, 06:02:00 PM
And even if you didn't set food restrictions, they should prioritize eating simple food over kibble if available, I think that makes sense, since simple food is more desirable -theoretically-, than kibble.

Kirby23590

If you look at the "Assign" button and click on it, there should be a button in there called "Manage Food Restrictions" And you change "Lavish" where your colonists can eat lavish meals, or "Raw" where they eat raw food to make people unhappy unless or if they have the "Ascetic" where it's almost the opposite... And making them don't eat kibble,
or make them eat only kibble because you're a cruel person... ;)

Though derped... It might be a bug or a feature if they are starving to death, why would i starve to death do i want die of starvation or just eat some animal kibble like dog food or dirt from the ground or even paper from my old notebook...
Though it depends how far away the food is and how near the nearest food is, depending on the colonist and animals...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

derped

It looks like you guys don't understand what's going on, so again in short:

• I know food restrictions, they are set properly, alas eating kibble is denied, simple meal allowed
  • pawns still eat kibble, even when there are plenty of simple meal MUCH CLOSER than kibble

So yes, its maybe a bug, maybe intentional, what I do know is that its supposed to work properly, and its not ;)

vzoxz0

derped

Quote from: vzoxz0 on March 04, 2019, 11:03:23 AM
Provide a save, this seems very unlikely.

The original poster is @MustHavKoffee.
I merely said I remember seeing it myself eating kibble on restrictions...

vzoxz0

...I know who the original poster is, I would like _anyone_ who has this bug, to post a save, so that if Tynan does by chance decide to read this post, he can actually look at it instead of go "ok, what am I meant to do with this information".

avilmask

It doesn't help, but I'm more often than not have to change restrictions for pawns, so they actually can eat some "other food" and not just starve because they were restricted to meals only. I would try to check if mods do something funny in OP's place.