Haste Makes Waste?

Started by Anan, December 31, 2018, 04:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anan

We're 1.2 days from launch and relying on a system of 8 traps to protect our entry-way. That really saves ammo but there are a lot of chores to get through before the next raid shows up (averaging about one daily): rebuild traps, haul bodies, retrieve dropped items, repair damage to surroundings. We've also needed to cut trees, haul wood, put out fires, hunt & prepare food, eat and sleep. My habit has been to use double-time between attacks (and triple-time when everybody's sleeping) to avoid boredom... but then we started to get a lot of colonists trapping themselves by accident.  This became a real threat to our small colony's survival! Recently, I tried dialing back to single time for the hazardous parts of the job; although I have a small sample of three colonists working in the traps for several hours each, we've had no casualties so far. That made me wonder if running the game faster was causing the trap-avoidance algorithms to overload, leading to more accidents. Anybody have an opinion?

dkmoo

my vote is that there is no difference between game speeds. just RNG working its magic.

Shurp

If you enter devmode you can crank it up to speed '4' by hitting the 4-key.  This was disabled in regular play because apparently there were issues with pawn behavior.  I wonder if something in the latest pathfinding update caused those issues to spread to other speeds. 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.