Modders: would these mods be possible?

Started by The Man with No Name, January 03, 2019, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

I'm wondering if these mods would be possible to create:

1) No Through/Access Only zones

Colonists wouldn't enter these zoned areas unless they had a job that gave them a reason to be there. It would stop a colonist, for example, from walking through a freezer to get somewhere rather than using the nice corridor next to it.

2) Animal refuge area

A way of sending all animals to a safe refuge area with one click when the base is under attack, rather than having to change the current allowed zone for every animal individually.

3) Universal colony cap

So that founding new bases does not increase the overall population cap, instead of the current system whereby building a new base will increase colony size by 20. This can currently be done manually every time one founds a new colony by adjusting the "populationIntentFactorFromPopCurve" values in the Storytellers.xml, but this is not ideal.

LWM

Quote from: The Man with No Name on January 03, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
I'm wondering if these mods would be possible to create:

1) No Through/Access Only zones

Colonists wouldn't enter these zoned areas unless they had a job that gave them a reason to be there. It would stop a colonist, for example, from walking through a freezer to get somewhere rather than using the nice corridor next to it.

Probably.  It would take getting intimate with the pather system, and might take a lot of thinking to make sure you've got all cases of why someone would want to go into the forbidden zone.  (fire, what?)

Quote from: The Man with No Name on January 03, 2019, 08:56:13 PM

2) Animal refuge area

A way of sending all animals to a safe refuge area with one click when the base is under attack, rather than having to change the current allowed zone for every animal individually.

Almost certainly.  Hasn't someone already done something like this?

Don't know anything about the 3rd one ^.^

--LWM

Mehni

Quote> I'm wondering if these mods would be possible to create:

Anything is possible. I'm serious. If you can think it up, it can be made. RimWorld is just a computer program, and they do what you tell it to do. It's just a matter of time/skills/motivation. You need two out of three.

The question you should be asking yourself is "is it *worth* it?" The question you should be asking us is "My goal is X. What do I need to look at?" or "My goal is X. I've looked at Z and concluded I need to do Y to achieve X. How do?" or "My goal is X. I tried to achieve this by doing A, and it's not working. How do I do X instead?"

So yes, #3 is possible. Looking at the source though, I find no evidence that PopulationIntent is per map.