Halp with Suggestions

Started by kawasaki333, January 08, 2019, 01:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawasaki333

https://imgur.com/kxhKdDf
https://imgur.com/nwPd8OU

Any suggestions how to deal with this menace without moving my colony?
I heard that the nests die at -20 degrees? If so i will wait out the winter where it gets to near that temperature and plan for their attack.
Any weapons of mass destruction that i could use, tho they are in a mountain and only a small entrance is not covered in roof tiles.

Canute

I would either wait until i got enough sniper rifles, and then snipe a few and retreat once they come close.
Or alternativ, you got 2 marine armor so they can tank pretty good.
Build a fortress room 5x3 double wall's at front so close you can do before they aggro.
But the tank at the entrance so they block the room and only need to fight 1 insect. All other behind them.
If you got frag grenade, he should non-stop throw these on a fixed spot outside into.
Then let one pawn aggro them and let him run inside.

kawasaki333

Quote from: Canute on January 08, 2019, 03:30:18 AM
I would either wait until i got enough sniper rifles, and then snipe a few and retreat once they come close.
Or alternativ, you got 2 marine armor so they can tank pretty good.
Build a fortress room 5x3 double wall's at front so close you can do before they aggro.
But the tank at the entrance so they block the room and only need to fight 1 insect. All other behind them.
If you got frag grenade, he should non-stop throw these on a fixed spot outside into.
Then let one pawn aggro them and let him run inside.
Thank you for the suggestion. I just saw someone do this exact thing on a youtube video and was thinking of organizing it my self.
Still more suggestions the merrier! Tho the question sitll stands if the HIVES really die at -20 ?

Shurp

Your second image shows that you can tunnel from your base to their hive fairly easily.  So you could try that -- build an underground killbox stuffed with turrets / traps / etc, then cut out an opening into the bug chamber.

You're in the middle of summer... I can't say I would recommend waiting until winter, the bug population will probably explode and eat your base before then.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

kawasaki333

This is a great alternative indeed, but i have one question that has been bugging me for a while.
If i indeed dig a tunnel to them,kill them, than fill it whole with wall blocks,after that i have this strange feeling that pirates that attack me will for some reason choose it as a place to dig and attack me. Its like i have a feeling that if i building some wall or something connecting to my base they will always choose it as a place to start digging if they dont go thru my front door kill box.

Canute

You can refill the tunnel you dig with stone walls, step by step.
With 3-4 layers of wall i think the raider will rather take the way outside.

At my base i allways have the front door open, and raiders try to path to come through these door.
Except sapper, they like to destroy the closest wall/structure.

Yoshida Keiji

and before you decide to attack, don't forget to take all their jellies so they get malnutrition and become enweakened for combat.

Shurp

If you really want to keep pirates out, seriously mine it out except for a few support pillars, then have someone shoot them out and collapse the whole thing (like part of it already is).

Or better yet, leave the pillars there as a trap and shoot them out when the pirates show up.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

kawasaki333

Thank you all for your suggestions!
Sorry to say this, but i failed brutally.I digged out the tunnel and wanted to do something before i did the choke point strategy.I left 1 wall left to dig out and shot with mortars on the edge of the map so i hit 1 ant and all of them started to come towards my base (i knew that they will stop half way and turn back) and so i wanted to use that and open that wall throw a molotov so all the hives can burn while i deal with them on the choke point (cause i had 20 hives that someone of them reproduce soon and some a little later so i was going to get a continues stream of ants and die).
So i did that threw the molotov but the ants didnt stop this time and continues to the front of my base where i did a quick regroup on my front door to do the same strategy but there i failed cause ants started digging my vents out and came at 2 points at the same time. Probably managed to kill 85% of them and the rest murdered me.
Lessons learned at least!

AileTheAlien

I think it would have been easier to work every night while they were asleep, to wall them into the mountain, with a roof, then stack a bunch of wood near the entrance. Throw a molotov, run outside, lock the door, and wait for the whole room to cook to death. Right?