Utility mod request

Started by Krolon, January 09, 2019, 04:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krolon

Could anyone make a small mod that would add a button for turrets to become extremely hostile? I mean shooting wild animals.
(yes, I do know that it sounds like cheesy hunt, but instead I rather want it to make a wide open gate and I do not want wild animals to wander into my base :/)

dninemfive

This is actually a good first mod project, if you're up to the challenge. Use this tutorial for setup, then modify the methods in "Building_Turret" to return wild animals in addition to hostiles.

Krolon

Uhhh, I understand the "fish and fishing rod" help type, and I actually do appreciate it, but I have no experience whatsoever, gonna try tho  :D

Krolon

okay I don't even know how to start... I'm not even reading about all the C# stuff because I've read through some XMLs at least a couple times and I just do not understand how the targeting works, I don't even see it

LWM

Quote from: dninemfive on January 11, 2019, 12:50:20 AM
This is actually a good first mod project, if you're up to the challenge. Use this tutorial for setup, then modify the methods in "Building_Turret" to return wild animals in addition to hostiles.

Aaaaah...did you look at Building_Turret?  You actually want to look at Building_TurretGun, which has the targeting logic.

Also...you didn't post a link to Harmony, and that's probably what you'd need to modify the default Turret.  And by "that's probably what you'd need" I mean you'd probably have to patch an anonymous delegate validator function (AttackTargetFinder.cs, BestAttackTarget(...)).  Not even close to appropriate for the faint of heart or low on experience.

Heh.  Oops.

OP:  If you're up for the adventure of coding, I think the way to do it is to create a type of turret that's specifically anti-wildlife......actually, you can't simply derive from the original class, because TryFindNewTarget() is "protected."  Well, F.

Also, you'd have to rewrite a fair bit of targeting code, because everything - EVERYTHING - has checks to make sure the target is hostile.

Just how much do you want this mod ;)  It's still doable :p  (also, do you care if it shoots your own animals?  I think that would be more fun, tbh - make the player work to keep them safe from the really stupid AI...)

--LWM

Krolon

Weeeell, that doesn't sound any easier... I've never had experience with coding and never even felt a need to learn to code...

LWM

Have you ever felt a *desire* to learn?

If not, you may have to ply a programmer with caffeine while they write something ;)

--LWM

PS - Or booze, no judging here.  Or caffeine and booze.  I don't recommend offering yayo or flake, tho.

Krolon

yes, I have, but not for coding

LWM

Krolon

I guess it's just not going to happen...

LWM

Oh, I might get around to it, but it won't be until I've solved a few problems in my current mod project.  As noted, shooting your own animals sounds very amusing (okay, one could make it only target *non tame* animals).  How good are you at drawing/creating textures for modded objects?

Krolon

never touched it, and I'm not even good at all at pixel art

LWM

Heh.  Join the club.  I am v much impressed by digital artists' work.

Well, you may be stuck with caffeine and patience as your options.  I could certainly see making this someday.

--LWM

Kirby23590

I think when you meant for turrets to become extremely hostile... I think you mean't the word Aggressive...

TBH The Turrets are very passive, until a raid come in with a club in their Line of sight if the turrets are still able to shoot them... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.