How to buy RimWorld without Steam?

Started by Indistinguishable, January 11, 2019, 08:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indistinguishable

Hello, is it possible to buy and play RimWorld without having Steam installed?

Indistinguishable

Quote from: BigHugeNerd on January 11, 2019, 09:07:24 PM
Check out https://rimworldgame.com/

You didn't think I checked the homepage of the game before making the thread? It says "all versions can be immediately registered on your Steam account through the automated Steam registration system", which is why I'm asking if it's possible to play this WITHOUT STEAM. They don't actually specify before purchase if I need Steam or not, what they write makes me suspect that I will be buying a steam key. I want to make 100% sure I can get the game without a penny going into Valve's pockets.

5thHorseman

I have no idea, but it does say "can" which implies you don't have to. I clicked the "buy" button and it immediately went to the credit card screen and I'm not buying it again just to see if I'm forced to get it on Steam or not. :D

You can always try it and see, and then return it. You may actually end up costing Valve some money to refund the transaction if that makes you feel better.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Indistinguishable

@5thHorseman: Really want to buy this game but I'd rather wait a couple of days for an official answer from Ludeon Studios to know for sure. I assume they lurk and answer their own support forum.

Canute

QuoteIt says "all versions can be immediately registered on your Steam account through the automated Steam registration system",
"can" but not "must be" !
When you buy it over the homepage you can it register at steam, but you can just play it without it.

harpo99999

rimworld (from the ludeon store and sendowl download) does NOT use or need steam, and in the sendowl downloads are windows, mac and linux releases.
btw am using the sendowl personal download an a NO STEAM computer (it runs on electricity not steam)

Indistinguishable

@Canute & @harpo99999:
Any of you two running the game on a computer without Steam installed at all?

It kind of sounds like harpo99999 is guaranteeing that I don't need Steam but I'm a little unsure if you're just making a joke.

I'm also suspicious that if I buy the game Valve will still get some money even if I don't have Steam installed, since it apparently can be redeemed on Steam. Because why would Valve allow that unless they do get some money even if I buy from the Ludeon homepage?

Canute

Steam, what is steam never heard from such thing. :-)
Yes i play Rimworld without steam.

Valve allow the game developer to give out steam key's because they hope the customer will stay at steam and buy the next game over steam, not to speak about some data they can gather about you.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Indistinguishable on January 13, 2019, 02:06:09 AM
I'm also suspicious that if I buy the game Valve will still get some money even if I don't have Steam installed, since it apparently can be redeemed on Steam. Because why would Valve allow that unless they do get some money even if I buy from the Ludeon homepage?

Watch out, if you buy shoes and the shoe salesperson goes home and buys a game on Steam, you just indirectly gave Steam your money.

Boycotting a product or service is a time honored tradition. But it can be taken too far.

If you want the game buy it. If you are so paranoid that Valve could benefit from it then don't. If these are at odds, pick which is more important to you.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Indistinguishable

Quote from: Canute on January 13, 2019, 03:56:57 AM
Valve allow the game developer to give out steam key's because they hope

That's why I'm asking if I'm buying a steam key on this here website or a standalone product. I've no problem paying Ludeon if I actually are buying just from them. If Valve will receive a penny I won't. Today's Monday so I hope to receive an official answer.

Quote from: 5thHorseman on January 13, 2019, 06:44:08 AM
If you are so paranoid that Valve could benefit from it then don't.

This is very annoying. Why do you think I'm here? If it was clear what I would be buying I wouldn't be here asking. Consumers vote with their wallet but it's getting harder and harder to do, sometimes I could buy a physical copy of a game in a store and in the package I just receive a steam key without warning. Don't come nagging at me when I'm just trying to find out where my money goes.

harpo99999

Quote from: Indistinguishable on January 13, 2019, 02:06:09 AM
@Canute & @harpo99999:
Any of you two running the game on a computer without Steam installed at all?

It kind of sounds like harpo99999 is guaranteeing that I don't need Steam but I'm a little unsure if you're just making a joke.

1 there is an ANTI steam punt in my reply,, BUT
it is also factual, as I am currently running rimworld 1.2096 32 bit on a computer thathas NEVER had any version of steam installed on it, and as I said, the ludeon/sendowl method of rimworlding does NOT need that sublimated ICE (yes another steam dig)

Indistinguishable

@harpo99999: Copy that, thanks!

No official reply today even though it's Monday, I'll repeat the question to make it more clear:

Hello Ludeon, if I buy RimWorld on your homepage does Valve get any money from my purchase?
Really want to play your game, thanks!

Indistinguishable

Since Ludeon apparently doesn't monitor their support forums I e-mailed them. I will post the answer here to help anybody else wondering.

"Valve doesn't get any money.

I don't know exactly why they let us sell Steam keys like this. I think it's mainly because 97% of the sales are still on Steam, and they see Steam key sales as a way to get new people to start using Steam (so they can buy Steam games later). It also reduces the incentive for developers to move off Steam."

It makes sense for Valve to do this. 97% still buys via Steam though, that's awful. People should try to buy directly from the developers themselves - they make the game so they should get the money. Valve usually takes a very unfair cut.

Canute

So you are buying your food and other things you need for your daily life direct from the developer too ? Or do you got into some kind of superstore next to you ?

Basicly steam is a good things, just how they made it and their policy are a different thing.
Don't forget there are other currency then money.
And i don't use steam either.