How do I get a large colony?

Started by Shurp, January 12, 2019, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

I'm trying to create a colony large enough that it can send out attackers to knock over enemy settlements but still have enough troops at home to defend it while the attackers are gone.  It seems I need about 20 colonists to do this; 10 to attack and 10 to defend.

Trouble is... how do I get that many people?  Obviously doing this with Cassandra is a bust.  I tried Randy and tried setting up a separate colony as bait... but even there with only 5 pawns enemy raiders bite the dust as soon as they hit the ground.  Getting fresh captives after I have about 12 pawns is just really hard.

Any suggestions?  Or should I just give up on getting more pawns and focus instead on building marine armor and try to knock over settlements with merely 6 pawns?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

OK, disregard, I think Randy will do it for me.  I brought all my pawns home, and my colony of 14 was raided by 20 in a siege.  3 of the 13 raiders I dropped survived and I now have 2 prisoners (the third bled out before I could do much).  So Randy seems forgiving enough that I can get enough pawns eventually.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

XeoNovaDan

Once you get lategame, generally around 4 guys in power armour with decent shooting skills and assault rifles will do the job.

Kirby23590

I think some mod like Orion's Hospitality allows you to recruit guests with good social colonists with 7 or 9 points... Sure the Tribal Chief or Outlander Prime Councilor might get angry at you at successfully recruiting one of their people, but gifting them good stuff like gold, silver or yayo and etc, will do the trick to make up for the loss of goodwill...

In Late Game it gets harder like you need 5 Social Colonists or more to a Guest to make them satisfied so you can recruit him or her...

Though in unmodded, you can try visiting friendly faction bases in the world map if they have slaves for sale that you recruit, or just do the mad man's thing like arresting a friendly faction's own people to recruit them while they start bring in the angry mob with torches and pitchforks...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

Hmmm, that could be an effective plan B, running up to a dozen merchants and trying to arrest them... but I'm pretty sure they'll fight back, and then die if I pummel them to the ground.

Is power armor that effective that a few guys in drop pods can knock over a pirate settlement?  Not an outpost, the full operation.  I know in b18 I needed more but I haven't tried yet in 1.0.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Shurp on January 13, 2019, 04:27:01 PM
Hmmm, that could be an effective plan B, running up to a dozen merchants and trying to arrest them... but I'm pretty sure they'll fight back, and then die if I pummel them to the ground.

Is power armor that effective that a few guys in drop pods can knock over a pirate settlement?  Not an outpost, the full operation.  I know in b18 I needed more but I haven't tried yet in 1.0.

Sure they might get angry and become hostile from arresting their people and recruiting them while they are in jail. But if you have reserched and built transport pods and got very valuable stuff like yayo and gold and some expensive junk, just send the transport pods as a gift to the faction you just angered as an apology gift and they might forgive you by becoming neutral this time... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shinzy

Running multiple colonies helps nicely with getting more colonists
my tiny 2 man outposts got new recruits shoved onto them fairly fast
then I could launch some of the non essential scrubs back to HQ

Shurp

But how do you avoid getting overrun by 6 raiders when you only have 2 defenders?

(Not that getting overrun by 10 raiders when I only have 5 defenders is much of an improvement...)

Canute

Only 6 raider vs 2 in power armor or flak armor?
You don't even need charge rifle, even some good mellee weapon would do it.
Some traps, and maybe some micro so they come out of cover while you shoot from cover.

Shurp

So focus on gearing up first, new settlements second... thanks, I'll try that.

Jan2607

I'm using a mod called "More slaves" where slave traders will sell slaves even in lategame and htey have more slaves to offer.

Demoulius

I find it alot harder to get new pawns compared to previous builds that ive played. I have skipped a few but I find I can even kill people with melee hits from weapons or even fists and they wont go down  ???

Then again ive had a few pyromaniacs go down and rather then see my (part wooden) colony go up in flames ive sold them into slavery.... So I guess at the same time I shouldnt complain ::)

Shurp

I like that all recruited pawns now have a "melee" button that you can hit to tell them to beat annoying colonists (pyromaniacs, food bingers, etc) senseless with rifle butts.  Dealing with them is much easier now.  Though I did have someone lose a leg that way, that was a surprise.

Canute

Hmm do you beat them while they set things on fire or do you beat them to death.
Then you just could banish them.

Shurp

I just beat them while they're trying to do something stupid.  Once they're downed they stop, and they get a nice catharsis mood bonus for the next several days.  It's less micromanagement than chasing them around and putting out the fires they start or dealing with whatever other calamity they're causing.