Is There A Technical Reason an Area Union Tool Mod Doesn't Exist Yet?

Started by ohgodspidersno, January 15, 2019, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohgodspidersno

Why isn't there a mod that lets you create lots of smaller areas and assign pawns to several at a time?

I dislike that if I need to make a brand new area for a pawn that I only want to have access to the kitchen, rec room, part of the hospital, and his room (for instance).

It'd be great if I were able to just make an area for each room and then tell each pawn which of them they can use.

It seems like a rather common sense feature, and I'm surprised no one has already developed it. Is there some sort of technical limitation that makes it impractically difficult to develop?

Should I develop it myself or it a fool's errand?

(My plan was to make a unique 'virtual' area for each pawn that is hidden and cannot be modified directly by the player. When the player ticks off each area they want the pawn to have access to, the game modifies that pawn's personal area to be the union of all the selected zones. But I don't know much about modding so this might be a complete misunderstanding of how areas even work. )

Thanks!

ohgodspidersno

snedhle

If you do make this, it will surely be a very popular mod.

I can only dream of the possibilities! Setting up a Home area, Farm area Close area, easily switching between them  and this is making me excited, what am i.

Prophetly

Quote from: ohgodspidersno on January 15, 2019, 07:47:02 PM
Why isn't there a mod that lets you create lots of smaller areas and assign pawns to several at a time?

I dislike that if I need to make a brand new area for a pawn that I only want to have access to the kitchen, rec room, part of the hospital, and his room (for instance).

It'd be great if I were able to just make an area for each room and then tell each pawn which of them they can use.

It seems like a rather common sense feature, and I'm surprised no one has already developed it. Is there some sort of technical limitation that makes it impractically difficult to develop?

Should I develop it myself or it a fool's errand?

(My plan was to make a unique 'virtual' area for each pawn that is hidden and cannot be modified directly by the player. When the player ticks off each area they want the pawn to have access to, the game modifies that pawn's personal area to be the union of all the selected zones. But I don't know much about modding so this might be a complete misunderstanding of how areas even work. )

Thanks!

i think you can manually create many areas to set discricts to your pawns for where should they be, and where should they work. but you didnt mean that right?

ohgodspidersno

No. I'll try to give a more specific example.

Imagine I have three pawns. Let's call them "Abigail" "Benjamin" and "Alec Baldwin".

I want Abigail to be restricted to area "A"

I want Benjamin to be restricted to area "B"

I want Alec Baldwin to be restricted to both areas "A" and "B".

In the vanilla game, I would have to make a new area "C" specifically for Alec Baldwin.

What my mod proposes is the ability to make just two areas, "A" and "B", but give me the ability to restrict Alec Baldwin to both areas A and B.

mew_the_pinkmin

This is a great idea, it doesn't "sound" hard to implement. Perhaps as simple a matter as allowing multiple areas to be selected at once, but I'm not knowledgeable in that field.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver