[1.0] Slower work = More XP?

Started by Merudo, January 17, 2019, 04:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merudo

In previous version of Rimworld, experience was given for each second spend doing a job.

To preserve material while maximizing XP, it was beneficial to drag jobs for as long as possible, such as handicapping the notice pawn working at the tailoring machine by removing tool benches, setting the station outdoor and cutting its electricity.

I've notice that in 1.0, some jobs provide XP only once they are finished (surgery, cooking meals, shooting bullets), so slowing down these jobs is actually counter productive. However, some other jobs (crafting items, construction) the XP is seemingly provided per second of work - so that would suggest slower work provides more XP.

Should I slow down my construction & crafting crews until they are more skilled?

Canute

You need to differ the job.
Some jobs just give XP after the task is finished.
Other jobs give XP while crafting, mosttimes jobs you can resume.
For these jobs it is better to work slower, because you geting XP each tick/second.
Implant some bad protetic to that trainee if you got better replacemant for him later, so he got bad manipulation skill.
Then you can reduce the material need for his training.

If you want slow down your pawn, you need to decide self.
Sometimes it is more important to have something even when it is poor quality.

Kirby23590

I'm not too sure about it...

So if your Builder is trying to train his Construction Skill, You could build a Chess Table that's made of stone which can take for ages, so why don't you test that out for !!SCIENCE!! if it gives you more Construction EXP?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

Build electric sewing tables for your crafters / tailors.  Turn on the power when you're making parkas to keep your pawns warm.  Turn off the power when they're making dusters for sale.  You increase the XP they get and you don't run out of cotton before the next crop sprouts.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Canute on January 17, 2019, 05:35:49 AMImplant some bad protetic to that trainee if you got better replacemant for him later, so he got bad manipulation skill.
I find it pretty funny, that something that in a lot of games would have been patched to prevent an exploit, provides an interesting story/interaction in this game. i.e. "To become a master tailor, you must first learn to sew with two hook-hands, outdoors, in the middle of winter!"

Shurp

"Here we run into a problem. Smokeleaf + drinking enough beers into drunk status would seem to be the most convenient way to ruin your surgery speed since the drunk consciousness hit is massive, but unfortunately, this is EXACTLY enough to down your pawn via 15% moving. So you can use a bionic leg to circumvent this"

LOL LOL LOL
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

RicRider

If you're into mods, check out something like Work Tab. It lets you set all the tasks with sub priorities, so you can have pawns that just repair, pawns that just deliver resources, and pawns that just construct placed frames, etc. That way you don't have everyone doing everything!

Bonus mod, Real Ruins. It puts random half destroyed ruins all over the map, which you just claim at the start of the game. You'll get plenty of XP just repairing everything and by the time you're ready to construct things that matter you'll have a few levels in construction!
##Coding Scrub##