[Request] A melee mod that probably already exists

Started by MostNimbus, January 18, 2019, 04:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MostNimbus

Oh hey hello

So listen me out, I know Tynan tweaked melee combat a bit making it less useless and especially the new door delay that makes it easier to chase and harder to hide is a good addition. But can we all agree that the main problem of melee combat is the melee combat itself? I mean, take an outside look on what's happening during the battle: Two pawns are facing each other. Hit - wait - Hit - Wait - Evade.
I know this is one of the best ways of handling the combat in rimworld-like games but this just makes it not only boring but also pretty useless.

So was thinking here for a while, how hard would it be to make some additions to the system? If it isn't deeply hard-encoded into the game core and is available to ehance how about these couple small details?

• Faster combat - lowering the "wait" time so it looks more like a brawl rather than a chess match
  • Evading - it doesn't really makes sense if a character can evade narrow hits in a tiny tiny space. Possible solution is to make evasions actually move the pawn one tile to the side around their enemy. It would look cool and encourage the player to seek open spaces for a fight.
  • Parrying - now I know, souls-like rolling is sure a meme, but vastly increasing the hit chance after a successful parry isn't a bad idea at all.
  • Less hits and more damage - it isn't a stabbing contest. Watching pawns block and evade more frequent with rare hits dealing huge damage would be nicer
  • Visuals - swings, block sparks from colliding metal and some new sound effects can make melee battles more interesting to observe.

Just maybe someone knows how hard it is to modify melee combat code? I have some experience in modding but I really have no clue how protected and hard is melee code to edit. If someone worked with it before and can clarify some things It'd be just great!

Thanks!

Kirby23590

I remember a Mod that used to enhance melee combat, as in your post...

Things like parrying, evading and things like that...

But also things like blocking with their weapons and also critical hits by chance or backstabs if your brawler attacks a pawn that wasn't looking or was paying attention to someone else that isn't attacking your brawler...

I do forget if that mod was in A15 or A16 in the Alpha days but now i can't find the mod, i don't know if was in Ludeon forums or in Steam workshop but got removed or is moved into the outdated released mods sub-forum...

So my memories are a bit fuzzy, and melee does need a rework like parrying and blocking melee attacks along with their dodges depending on their melee skill... :(

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Kirby23590

Yes it was Melee Skill Rebalance, thanks Canute!

Though unfortunately it's discontinued and oreganor the creator of that mod last posted in July 14, 2017...

The mechanics like Parrying is something that Rimworld is missing...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

MostNimbus

Well! At least now I know that melee combat is completelly moddable. And that old mod even has source files included, how convinient. Looking forward to forking it and hopefully making some adjustments for it to work with the release.

Thanks for the links, will look through them