Framerate Lock (and loss) for Alt-Tab on 144hz Display

Started by Lirisimah, January 19, 2019, 10:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirisimah

Hi all, long time player, first time poster. Haven't played for a long time but came back recently and noticed a very unfortunate issue that's occuring now.

I play the game with G-Sync at a comfortable 144hz and 140-144fps at max speed, no problems. However, as soon as I alt-tab from the game for any reason, when I return, my framerate in game is locked to 22-24fps MAX. It will never increase above that, if I reload my game it won't even fix it. I have to close the whole game, and start it back up all over to restore my fps.

Things I have tried:
- Disabling Steam overlay
- "Disabling Full Screen Optimizations" in compatibility settings for RimWorld
- Reducing refresh rate to 60hz (would prefer to never do this again.)
- Running in Win7 compatibility mode
- Running in Fullscreen or Windowed
- Creating a new game, since other posts indicated sometimes it is related to specific saves or mortars being active and stuff

Things to note:
- I have two displays, one is 60hz, the other is 144hz G-Sync display. I play on the 144hz display, but this frame loss does NOT happen if I am playing on the 60hz display. The game is playable on my second monitor at 60fps.
- Simply moving the window to the 60hz display returns it to 60fps, but moving it back down to my 144hz display returns it back to 22-24fps.

Please let me know what I can include that will help someone provide ideas or solutions, I'm at my wit's end with this weird problem. I've tried perusing other threads for ideas but I'm not seeing anything else that helps me narrow it down.
Thanks.

Wisq

Yeah, same issue here.  Same FPS too -- drops to 22.

Sometimes it seems like alt-tabbing will fix it, especially if I close all other windows first.  But I don't have any solid advice on how to deal with it, other than just exiting and reloading.