Is it actually possible to survive with a permanent toxic fallout on the map ?

Started by Grillbye, January 20, 2019, 04:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grillbye

So I've had this idea for quite a while now for myself : Making a colony that's gonna have to live "like" in a vault, I don't have much mods for that but it's not the subject. Is it actually possible to survive while the map is struck with a toxic fallout that I made permanent ? Mostly about the animals and the fact that going outside get them a toxic buildup and that the pawns would need the Undergrounder trait.
Prisoners? Don't wanna keep them? Eat them! ALL of them.

Shurp

It's easy.  Grow your food indoors, send the colonists out once in a while for, erm, "fresh" air, then make sure they get back inside to detox.  Toxic fallout is only a nuisance once you have indoor food.

Now, toxic fallout and a tribal start, *that* would be a challenge.  You'd have to send out traders to buy pemmican to keep your colony alive... but it'd be much easier to just leave and settle another hex.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Grillbye

What if I have no hydroponics ? And no mod to put soil myself inside ? I know it exists, but it's probably not for B18 anymore !

Kirby23590

Yes, i would recommend having your guys with to get the Undergrounder trait and Researching Hydroponics Quickly or Getting the Power Ready for those Sunlamps...

Is one of those challenges that changes you how play the game, there is no animals coming in but there is still manhunter packs and raiders if your colony is made of cannibals...

If a Toxic Fallout is happening, i say keep your power steadily strong and make sure your freezer is larger so it can hold more food and if you know how to make indoor farms, and also for starting out i would prefer to build the colony next to a mountain so i can get stone for stone walls with stonecutters...

Are you playing as Tribals or the Crashlanded Colonists? Tribal Colonies are going to be a tough challenge while New Arrivals Colonists have a better chance with Electricity and Air Conditioning...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Grillbye

Quote from: Kirby23590 on January 20, 2019, 05:33:41 AM
Yes, i would recommend having your guys with to get the Undergrounder trait

And as I said earlier though, I'm on B18 - Undergrounder trait does not exist on this version. I searched it up with Prepare Carefully and even added mods that adds more traits and still no trait that is similar or close to Undergrounder. :/

Kirby23590

Quote from: Grillbye on January 20, 2019, 05:35:39 AM
And as I said earlier though, I'm on B18 - Undergrounder trait does not exist on this version. I searched it up with Prepare Carefully and even added mods that adds more traits and still no trait that is similar or close to Undergrounder. :/

Well if you don't have them and you're in B18, keep some areas unroofed or otherwise your colonists will go crazy from isolation from cabin fever which is kind of alien to me...

So keep some Rooms Unroofed like hallways to keep cabin fever building up, it also allows you to put air conditioners for the rooms next doors as well like say a dinning room or a bedroom of a colonist...

Grillbye

Or I can set an entire thing to happen only outside BUT roofed. I'll see what I can do for that. Thanks :D

Canute

As tribal you will be doomed, before you can research electricy you are starved.

When you can build sunlamps, roof a 11x11 area on rich soil or at last soil. Sunlamp at the middle, and then you are ready to grow rice and maybe you can harvest it before you starve.

I would complete enclose it later, so you can heat it during winter if needed.

B18 Mods for terraforming still exist.
Fertile Field
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36687.0
Vegetable Garden (B18 on nexus)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36926.0

Grillbye

I went in and checked the mods - picked Fertile Fields and Smooth Stone Walls, that's gotta be good ! I can't get Vegetable Gardens because it conflicts with growthable grass. Edit : I didn't activate Growthable grass for this colony as it would be useless so I just went on and got all Vegetable Gardens "modules". I don't understand for the terraforming thing though, I wasn't able to find an option to turn stone into soil.

AileTheAlien

If you get the mod RF Wild Cultivation, you can plant mushrooms, which would let you survive as tribals, if you started on a tile with caves, since they'd have some stony soil in them to start with.

Grillbye

Quote from: AileTheAlien on January 20, 2019, 10:03:55 AM
If you get the mod RF Wild Cultivation, you can plant mushrooms, which would let you survive as tribals, if you started on a tile with caves, since they'd have some stony soil in them to start with.

Yep, but it's not a tribal colony, though it could be useful.

Shurp

If you're on a dry map (desert, ice sheet) then finding soil to greenhouse is going to be a challenge.  But you should be able to find plenty of soil on arid/forest/tundra maps.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

Yea if you don't have a lot of soil or no soil at all... Well there's always hydroponics...

Luckily you're not playing a Tribal Colony since it would be hard challenge in permanent toxic fallout ;)

Canute

And then settle in a perma winter tile too ! :-)

But when you let be all your pawn's be cannibal, and setup a daily raid, you might get enough supply of meat :-)
Post-apocalypse, surviving is anything, humanity comes later.

Grillbye

They're not cannibal, but I have a mod that can MAKE them become cannibal if they keep eating human meat. Unfortunately my biome is from a mod and is called Wasteland.