Old Outdated material written out from the Fiction Primer.

Started by Kirby23590, January 21, 2019, 04:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby23590

Hi, ahem hello!

If you read the title of Subject, I'm talking about the Fiction Primer or the Universe primer of Rimworld, Essentially the Lore and the universe of the game...

But some elements that were Cut out and are written out of cannon and thus became non-cannon, because of reasons and the changes made to the game?

But there are things that i can remember but is now removed from the lore, i will try to get my reasons why they were removed if it's too out of place or hard to program in or just silly and cartoonish...

• Tribal worlds, Reason? Doesn't make any sense to be stuck in the stone age for a millennia?
  • Whip Cactus, Reason? Very Difficult to program a hostile plant that attacks anything in sight near it or might cause problems when it attacks wildlife.
  • Opti-Animals and Trans-Animals aka Talking and Intelligent Animals. Reason? Too ridiculous and out of place or hard to implement?
  • Boomfruit Grenades. Reason? Too weird or that Frag Grenades already take their places already?

I hope this List is was and kinda interesting to read, since there's something that you can look back at and read something that was removed...

I might be missing other things but here are the ones that are more interesting to me at least... I hope you find something out of it... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

AileTheAlien

I think most of the Whip Cactus could be put into the game, with the mechanics that are already there. Small animals already try to run away from danger, right? The Whip Cactus could attack small animals that come within range, and they'd either run away, or be killed and eaten by it. Larger / predator animals would be avoided by the cactus, unless it's desperately hungry.

Talking / intelligent animals sounds fine to me. Half of the things on the planets are genetically engineered; I don't see why uplifted animals would be out of place. (EDIT: The current lore primer even mentions talking dogs.) It's definitely not too complicated to put into the game; I think you can even do it entirely in XML, if you're just making a basic re-skin species, with a different pool of traits and/or basic stats.

I think "tribal worlds" are basically just part-way between "animal" and "medieval"; There's no reason they couldn't exist, even for a long time. They wouldn't be very fun to play in the game though, since the player wouldn't be able to trade much, if they've got a surplus of expensive rifles, and their neighbours only have pemmican and bows.

Kirby23590

@AileTheAlien

Yea i do kinda wish that Whip Cactus should've been part of the game, There is something interesting about a Plant that attacking anything with it's vines or Giant Man-eatting Venus Flytraps, or a plant something out of Little Shop of Horrors...

And Uplifted animals like intelligent dogs or monkeys don't seem that bad, but talking squirrels or velociraptors sound really a bit too much...
I think it's something like programming an rare item that turns animals like cats or dogs into talking animals or Opti-animals and Trans-animals like Mech Serums that uplifts them or something like that...

However i do wished they were in the game like making a Cougar into a Trans-Cougar that doesn't require a handler anymore but i can control it like a normal human pawn or even make it repair damaged buildings ( There was something with the past lore primer that said about genetically giving pigs human hands to make use of tools, yeah don't question about it. ) or even make opti-monkeys throw frag or emp grenades as well...

Yeah, Tribal Worlds doesn't make any sense for staying in the neolithic time periods forever... Sure they are fine by themselves in isolation, until space pirates start appearing with advanced modern firearms and power armor or even mechanoids with inferno cannons in their worlds, turning them into Rimworlds... Tribal Worlds were Probably short-lived and they mostly turned into Medieval Worlds instead where they have some sort of governments with kingdoms and empires compared to chiefdoms and small tribes....

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.