More Sensible Ages

Started by BasileusMaximos, January 23, 2019, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

All vanilla factions in Rimworld are pre-industrial in essence, with the only exception being Mechanoids and high-level pirates. I've crunched some numbers and determined that the average age of someone living in pre-industrial times is about 28.4 years of age. If that is the case, why is everyone a geriatric fuck?

Ages for colonists should generally fall within an average of 28 years, with a higher chance to find older colonists among Spacers. More experienced fighters, especially pirates, should be generally older but not too old. 

In addition, Outlanders should not have a "cryosleep age" as they are just as native to the planet as Tribals are and shouldn't have that tech.

The cryosleep age for Spacers you find in ruins should be more uniform and dramatically higher (I found you after a mountain grew on top of your house!).

Serenity

This mistake again? The average age in earlier societies was lower because of the very high infant mortality rate. But once someone was 30 or so there was a good chance they'd reach an age of 60

BasileusMaximos

Yes, so there shouldn't be so many people over the age of 30 roaming around. The average age of pawns should be in the late 20s.

Serenity

That's not how averages work. Especially since the game doesn't have children

RicRider

Basileus you're always going to have at least 2 camps of people every time you bring up a discussion about realism. Ones who want the game more realistic and others who want to play it like an Esports and care only about "balance". My suggestion to you is to mod what you want or ask the modding community to help you. I for one would love to see your suggestion done as a mod and would use it.
##Coding Scrub##

5thHorseman

Future humans in degraded societies are not the same as pre-industrial humans from Earth. They could have been genetically modified to live longer.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: 5thHorseman on January 25, 2019, 06:10:22 PMThey could have been genetically modified to live longer.
It's in the back-story lore thingy that the game links to - all humans should be assumed descended from mutants, genetically-engineered super-soldiers, or grown in vats by super-AIs.

TLDR:
It's a sci-fi game - who cares if they live to a million years old, and stay in cryosleep for a billion? Have fun instead!