[1.0] Simple Slavery

Started by Ziehn, January 26, 2019, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziehn

Quote from: KojiOyama on April 14, 2019, 07:39:37 PM
also this happens to work and medical tab. restrict and assign stay the same with all colonist listed.
In the work Work Tab mod try disabling "Vertical Labels" and "Fix Vertical Fonts" in the mod options. The current build of Simple Slavery doesn't add anything to the UI yet so it shouldn't be the problem.

KojiOyama

so I learned that im dumb. didn't mention that im using rimHUD too. I disabled worktab and still same result. havnt tried without rimHUD yet, but I thought id see what you and the community say first.

Ziehn

Update: Fixed failed looping enslave attempts, unconscious pawns can no longer refuse enslavement - Thanks to Keeper for the final clue I needed to finally find this bug

fantasticrat

Hey Ziehn!

I've noticed a few strange glitches with this mod and wanted to report them.

Firstly, it's integration with More Slaves is pretty awesome! But I've noticed that when a slave is purchased, they're fine - at least, until you reload the game, at which point they're gone (with no error messages in sight besides any objects they happened to be using still having tasks reserved until you reprioritize). It's as if the pawns are deleted? In all cases i've 'adopted' slaves from traders they simply vanish. I've tended to adopt slaves that have 'defection risk' tho, so it might be a conflict with "Rainbeau's Rumor Has It"? They were also both with 'stockholm syndrome'. Thought I should report. Because there's no error messages I have no idea where to start with giving you clues on how to fix it / make more compatible.

The other thing is that there's a very minor incompatibility with whatever mods adds fire drakes (something from the LOTR set but not sure which part). The mods adds custom thoughts regarding the drakes when they're observed depending on what they're doing, as well as adding a custom thought when the dragon downs someone. Or at least I think it's MEANT to - when the dragon kills or downs a pawn with Simple Slavery installed there's a nice error that it cannot generate the thought because it's not sure whether or not the pawn downed is an acceptable target for generating that thought because it COULD be a slave. Even if the pawn was never a slave, or even a prisoner. Other 'colonist died' thoughts are functional, though.

Senio

Thanks for your dev and share.
Support Multiplayer mod , right?

Ziehn

Quote from: Senio on May 20, 2019, 06:21:28 PM
Thanks for your dev and share.
Support Multiplayer mod , right?

It *works* with Multiplayer but any of the buttons on the UI will cause a de-sync, Adjust Shackles, Emancipate and any of the special collar functions. The first two you can get around by having all players push the button at the same time.

Additional support will be added when/if the Multiplayer mod gets a proper API

Senio

Thanks for your reply.
Looking forward to supporting multiplayer mod

firestrock

I am not 100% sure but I think commit 82fc0a17 has broken trading from an OHU Dropship (Master branch is for version 1.0). The first time you try to trade from a ship with your mod enabled this error is thrown:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at SimpleSlavery.SettlementBase_TraderTracker_ASCP_Patch/<sellableThingsAndSlaves>d__0.MoveNext () <0x0018b>
at OHUShips.TradeDeal_Worldship.AddAllTradeables () <0x000ea>
at OHUShips.Dialog_TradeFromShips.PreOpen () <0x0007b>
at Verse.WindowStack.Add (Verse.Window) <0x00054>
at OHUShips.WorldShipUtility/<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<TradeCommand>b__0 () <0x00123>
at Verse.Command_Action.ProcessInput (UnityEngine.Event) <0x00038>
at Verse.GizmoGridDrawer.DrawGizmoGrid (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<Verse.Gizmo>,single,Verse.Gizmo&) <0x00c75>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) RimWorld.InspectGizmoGrid.DrawInspectGizmoGridFor_Patch0 (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<object>,Verse.Gizmo&) <0x007aa>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.Log:ErrorOnce(String, Int32, Boolean)
RimWorld.InspectGizmoGrid:DrawInspectGizmoGridFor_Patch0(IEnumerable`1, Gizmo&)
RimWorld.Planet.WorldInspectPane:DrawInspectGizmos()
RimWorld.InspectPaneUtility:ExtraOnGUI(IInspectPane)
RimWorld.Planet.WorldInspectPane:ExtraOnGUI()
Verse.WindowStack:WindowStackOnGUI()
RimWorld.UIRoot_Play:UIRootOnGUI()
Verse.Root:OnGUI()

Subsequent tries just have no effect at all. I'm going to look into this tomorrow but I'm not very confident I can fix this myself.

firestrock

It's definitely the 'Adds owned slaves to sellable things' patch. I "fixed" the issue by removing the patch. Wasn't selling my slaves anyway ;D

swaggeringcuban

You get mood penalties to your other colonists when slaves die.   And I'm guessing you would get a penalty if you sold them too since I didn't try yet....

There's actually very little to this mod.  Its just forced recruitment with mood penalty and escape mechanic.  I mean that's it. 

If you really hate waiting for recruitment, and you're getting frustrated with 99% resistance prisoners, the mod will sidestep that.  But there's nothing else to it unless I'm missing something.

JT

Slave collars in leather, metal, high-security, shock, and explosive varieties; purchase slaves rather than automatically freeing them; take slaves from prisoners instead of only befriending and recruiting voluntary colonists; a chance that slaves escape which diminishes as their indoctrination increases; choosing whether to shackle, for harder escapes, or not, for greater productivity; some negative and positive thoughts for living on the avails of slavery; and uprisings if the helot population starts to overwhelm the citizen population.  That's basically it, yep.  It is called Simple Slavery.

Simple Slavery is more of a "fix" than a "feature".  The idea is more to give you the freedom to do something that was arbitrarily or negligently restricted.  In vanilla, you are forced to play the good guy by emancipating anyone you "purchase", or forced to grant prisoners sovereignty to be recruited only by their own free will.  Simple Slavery changes that to let you be the bad guy, if you want.  It's especially relevant for self-imposed challenges, like trying to make a tribal civilisation that is founded on slavery, rather than as a core feature that every colony would want or need.

For the giant morality play that is RimWorld, oversights and design decisions like those on Ludeon's part tend to bother me.  I can see why they defaulted to no-condoning-of-slavery, of course, given the social-justice crusade against Tynan's various design decisions that weren't actually important parts of the game in the first place.  It's mods like this that fix those oversights, and the best part is that they fix it without going overboard.  More advanced mods could certainly delve into the squickier territories like forced castration, punishments and whippings, threats and applications of force, deliberate crippling to prevent escape, etc., which would all be quite realistic.  However, anyone who did such a mod would probably be trying more to live out their fantasies or racisms rather than trying to satisfy the conceptual need that there are slaves on the world that you couldn't be involved with before.

swaggeringcuban

I don't care that much about the ethics of it.  How many games are there where you can indiscriminately kill people for no reason?  Tons, and in terms of morality, murder has to be worse than slavery.  I don't care about those either, because they are just games.
I'm not blind, Americans are sensitive about slavery, I get it.  I just don't really care because I'm not American.

Getting back to the mod.  I think there has to be a bigger difference between pawns and slaves to make this worthwhile.   I like the idea of having cheaper labour anywhere on the map, unlike prison mods where they need to be enclosed.  But I don't think there should be mood checks for selling them, or for when they die at least among the pawns, it's better in almost any scenario to just recruit them.
I don't expect modders to cater to what I want, I'm just offering some feedback for others who might want to try this.  Prison labor at this stage has more to offer.

Ziehn

Quote from: swaggeringcuban on June 26, 2019, 01:16:40 PM
should be mood checks;;; or for when they die at least among the pawns

Already a feature

Canaris

I seem to be missing the make slave collar option from crafting spot.. ( cant tell about smithy since i started as tribals ).

Anyone experienced that ? Is there a potential conflict woth Tribal Reborn mod ( only mod from my 120 mods that i can think off that would interact with craftong spot) ?

Disregard, im blind... Comes with age.
Phoneposter - typos will happen.

ts.vassilev

When a slave is escaping I get a notification but I can't "jump to problem" on it. I have a search mod that takes care of that, but it sucks that I get alerted where exactly all other things are happening, while I can't pinpoint where a prisoner wearing an electric remote collar is. Is there something that I'm missing or is it an intentional feature?