[1.0] Better Loading Mod

Started by Samboy063, January 28, 2019, 06:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Quote from: Samboy063 on January 29, 2019, 06:17:16 AM
Quote from: Canute on January 29, 2019, 03:51:47 AM
Excellent idea and work ! ! !
A few idea's
- can you keep the progress (x / y) after the step is finished ?
- it is possible to minimize/move the window ? Or an alternate view with just 1 progress bar ?

- between "Waiting for defs..." and "Waiting for database..." is still alot of HD activity, any way to monitor that too ?

Between those two steps is a bit of misc initialization, I didn't put it in because in all my tests it was under a second in length, but I'll look at adding it.
I wouldn't ask if that would just be a few secs.
But currently it take time before "Waiting for database..." get a progress.

A smaller window might be doable but I don't want to mess with too many things as the game is a little fragile during initial load. I'll look into it. Keeping the progress I can do.
At last a minimize function would be nice, so we can see the beautiful RW background ! :-) I don't need to watch the progress all the time.

And maybe for the V2 a tetris or similar game, you know some people got 30 min loading times ! :-)
Nah forget it, they can play something else !

Samboy063

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 29, 2019, 07:44:20 AM
Nice mod! However, I do suggest perhaps implementing a Manifest.xml for Fluffy's Mod Manager, since Mod Manager currently says that Better Loading should be loaded after Core.

Edit: This also seems to be incompatible with Zeltrith's Multiplayer since the map will fail to render upon hosting. Reproducible when this is loaded...
* Before Core
* After Core but before Multiplayer
* After Multiplayer

Huh. Can you upload a log? I'd like to fix that if I can as this should be a non destructive mod. I'll also look at that manifest.xml

Samboy063

Following discussions with XND in discord I've published v1.1.1 which adds a workaround for an issue in Zetrith's Multiplayer that was making the game unplayable.

Quote from: Samboy063 on January 29, 2019, 06:29:17 AM
Quote from: temple_wing on January 29, 2019, 06:14:27 AM
restarted.
Ok, thanks for this. Can confirm it's SeedsPlease's fault - the way that is written is really bizarre, and, I hesitate to say, dodgy. I can add a workaround but it'll mean there's a big delay between Creating Defs and Reloading Databases (because SeedsPlease repeats the whole build tree-patch-register-create thing multiple times for some reason).
[...]

Maybe you should contact Charlotte/notfood (the mod author) about it. In my experience, she is very responsive and helpful!

Quote from: Canute on January 29, 2019, 07:53:04 AM
[...]
And maybe for the V2 a tetris or similar game, you know some people got 30 min loading times ! :-)
Nah forget it, they can play something else !

Not if Rimworld hogs all of your memory...  :( I can't even have Firefox open when I start Rimworld up, because when RW is done loading, there is pretty much no free memory left, and certainly not enough for a proper browser or game.

Sixdd

@2.71828
How much RAM you got in that thing, a potato? More importantly how many mods are you using, I use around 200 and I've never seen Rimworld take more than 2GB total.

temple_wing

Totally stop functioning after upgrading to 1.1.1
I'll try 1.1 when next I start rw.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tried, still no loading screen. So it's not 1.1.1 problem.
My mod list:

<li>BetterLoading</li>
    <li>Core</li>
    <li>HugsLib</li>
    <li>JecsTools-1.1.0.9</li>
    <li>ModManager</li>
    <li>A_Dog_Said_1.0</li>
    <li>Vegetable Garden</li>
    <li>VGP_Canning</li>
    <li>VGP_Garden_Drinks</li>
    <li>VGP_Fabric</li>
    <li>VGP_Garden_Gourmet</li>
    <li>VGP_Medicine</li>
    <li>VGP_Tools</li>
    <li>VGP_Trees_Flowers</li>
    <li>GeneticRim-master</li>
    <li>AlphaAnimals-1.091</li>
    <li>Apparello</li>
    <li>SYR_Blueberries</li>
    <li>CentralizedClimateControl</li>
    <li>SYR_CoffeeAndTea</li>
    <li>Rimfire 2.5</li>
    <li>HandAndFootwear</li>
    <li>OmniCoreDrill</li>
    <li>Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion 2.0</li>
    <li>CombatExtended</li>
    <li>CombatExtendedGuns</li>
    <li>ExtendedStorage</li>
    <li>Genetic-Rim-CE-Patch-master</li>
    <li>Alpha-Animals-CE-Patch-master</li>
    <li>ConsolidatedTraits</li>
    <li>DoorsExpanded</li>
    <li>Dubs Bad Hygiene</li>
    <li>ExpandedWoodworking-master</li>
    <li>ExpandedWoodworkingVGP</li>
    <li>FishIndustry</li>
    <li>FluffyBreakdowns</li>
    <li>GiddyUpCore-1.1.2</li>
    <li>battlemounts-1.1.2</li>
    <li>GiddyUpCaravan-1.1.1</li>
    <li>GiddyUpMechanoids-1.1.1</li>
    <li>GiddyUpRideAndRoll-1.1.1</li>
    <li>Megafauna_v1.4_RW1.0</li>
    <li>Megafauna (CE compatibility patch)</li>
    <li>GeneticRimMegafaunaPatch-1.0</li>
    <li>SYR_HarvestYieldPatch</li>
    <li>IdlePowerConsumption</li>
    <li>SYR_Individuality</li>
    <li>Bubbles</li>
    <li>LED_TECH_1.0.2059</li>
    <li>PickUpAndHaul-1.0.5</li>
    <li>RealFoW</li>
    <li>1571623829[RF] Realistic Planets [1.0]</li>
    <li>RimFridge</li>
    <li>RIMkea_1.0</li>
    <li>RimWriter-1.20.0.2</li>
    <li>RT_PowerSwitch-1.0-1.0.13</li>
    <li>RimWorld-SeedsPlease-master</li>
    <li>SYR_SetUpCamp</li>
    <li>SimpleSidearms</li>
    <li>Nandonalts-Snowy-Trees-0.21.0</li>
    <li>SurvivalTools</li>
    <li>RimworldTerrainZoneSelect-master</li>
    <li>ShipChunks-1.1.0</li>
    <li>WeaponStorage</li>
    <li>DefensiveMachineGunTurretPack</li>
    <li>WhatTheHack-1.1.5</li>
    <li>MoreFactionInteraction-roadworks</li>
    <li>1599065806 Blood Pack</li>
    <li>MoreMechanoids</li>

===================================================
This log file is not "clean", I'm inside the game, some error is generate after game started.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

temple_wing,
don't forget to add the logfile too.

Samboy063

Yeah, without the log I can do nothing. 1.1.1 shouldn't break anything at all.

Canute

It works for me, so i think it is one for temple's mod .
I would blame Combat Extended, since it do alot of detour action (i think).

Quote from: Sixdd on January 30, 2019, 08:51:35 PM
@2.71828
How much RAM you got in that thing, a potato? More importantly how many mods are you using, I use around 200 and I've never seen Rimworld take more than 2GB total.

8GB of pure potato, at about exactly 290 mods. For me, memory usage increases rapidly and dramatically (up to more than 90%, where the rest of my sytem, including Steam, uses about 10%) just before Rimworld enters the last "loading stage". And then it continues to climb rather slowly during play, over the course of 2–3 hours, until pretty much all of my memory is gobbled up, and my OS pulls the emergency brake, i.e. it's killed by the OOM killer. I have no idea what the cause of that is, exactly. I know that Linux likes to use as much memory as possible, which makes sense after all (more stuff in memory 🠒 less stuff has to be loaded from the HDD 🠒 the system is faster), but still...

Sixdd

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Rimworld take that much memory. Are you running RuntimeGC, that can clear up memory issues quite well.

Bluntflame

Cool mod! Could be used to make debug MUCH easier!

LWM

Quote from: 2.71828 on January 31, 2019, 05:32:10 PM
Quote from: Sixdd on January 30, 2019, 08:51:35 PM
@2.71828

8GB of pure potato, at about exactly 290 mods. For me, memory usage increases rapidly and dramatically (up to more than 90%, where the rest of my sytem, including Steam, uses about 10%) just before Rimworld enters the last "loading stage". And then it continues to climb rather slowly during play, over the course of 2–3 hours, until pretty much all of my memory is gobbled up, and my OS pulls the emergency brake, i.e. it's killed by the OOM killer. I have no idea what the cause of that is, exactly. I know that Linux likes to use as much memory as possible, which makes sense after all (more stuff in memory 🠒 less stuff has to be loaded from the HDD 🠒 the system is faster), but still...

Oh wow.  That's almost certainly a memory leak in one (or more) of the mods...I regularly leave RimWorld open for days at a time in the background - not running, but still open - and haven't had any such problems.  Which is more than I can say for Firefox :p

--LWM

Quote from: Sixdd on February 01, 2019, 04:35:43 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Rimworld take that much memory. Are you running RuntimeGC, that can clear up memory issues quite well.

Yeah, I'm already using RuntimeGC, although it doesn't seem to free up any/much memory. It still seems to increase game performance for a while every time I use it, though.

And the funny thing is that Rimworld doesn't even use that much memory, only a bit under 4 GB according to the "xfce4-taskmanager", although, to be honest, the terms that are used for memory usage in the Linux world still confuse me somewhat (free memory vs. available memory, and whatnot)...

Quote from: LWM on February 02, 2019, 03:27:57 AM
[...]

Oh wow.  That's almost certainly a memory leak in one (or more) of the mods...I regularly leave RimWorld open for days at a time in the background - not running, but still open - and haven't had any such problems.  Which is more than I can say for Firefox :p

--LWM

Yeah, I suspect that, as well, although I don't really know how to find out which mod is responsible. Maybe I should actually try this mod (i.e. "Better Loading") out and watch the loading process like a hawk...  ;D Currently I hope for a Workshop release, though.

I actually tried to graphically log memory usage during loading twice now, but both times the program I wanted to use failed to log anything (and didn't tell me about it, i.e. give me an error message of some kind, like it's supposed to be doing in that case). Maybe I'll manage to log it someday after all...

Ziehn

Love this mod, but there seems to be some scaling issues. 1440p with 1.5x UI scale

[attachment deleted due to age]