[1.0] Better Loading Mod

Started by Samboy063, January 28, 2019, 06:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently managed to log my memory usage properly (I had a typo in an argument for my programme that should really have elicited some kind of error message, but didn't...), and attached it. Memory gets filled to the brim during the last bit of loading ("Waiting for databases to finish reload"), and then basically stays there, until I start playing and sometimes memory gets to about 99% full, which is when RW gets killed (which happened just a few minutes ago).

What I did to get this curve was to let RW load up, then let it sit 5–10 min in the main menu, load my current save (paused), and wait for another 5–10 minutes. I stopped recording memory usage before I unpaused.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Ronburgundy

My game with mods loads fine till this point then it sits here for 10 to 20 minutes does anyone have any idea what this could be ? i have tried deactivating the 94th mod down but that doesn't help.

Samboy063

Quote from: Ziehn on February 08, 2019, 12:15:18 PM
Love this mod, but there seems to be some scaling issues. 1440p with 1.5x UI scale
Now that's really odd. I play at 1440p and it works fine, and there SHOULD be no reason it wouldn't work. Can you try with just BetterLoading?

Quote from: Ronburgundy on February 14, 2019, 07:04:26 AM
My game with mods loads fine till this point then it sits here for 10 to 20 minutes does anyone have any idea what this could be ? i have tried deactivating the 94th mod down but that doesn't help.

The 94/208 is the database it's reloading, not the mod number, so I'm not surprised that didn't help. Could you open the Rimworld Data folder (it'll be in the same place as the game executable and the mods folder) and upload the output_log.txt to hastebin/pastebin/etc?

Samboy063

Quote from: 2.71828 on February 08, 2019, 04:25:39 PM
I recently managed to log my memory usage properly (I had a typo in an argument for my programme that should really have elicited some kind of error message, but didn't...), and attached it. Memory gets filled to the brim during the last bit of loading ("Waiting for databases to finish reload"), and then basically stays there, until I start playing and sometimes memory gets to about 99% full, which is when RW gets killed (which happened just a few minutes ago).

What I did to get this curve was to let RW load up, then let it sit 5–10 min in the main menu, load my current save (paused), and wait for another 5–10 minutes. I stopped recording memory usage before I unpaused.

I can't really say what's causing that, except that if you could look at specifically WHICH database is reloading when the memory usage spikes, we could narrow it down, but without better profiling (which is really quite hard to achieve with unity games) it'll be difficult to find a culprit.

Ronburgundy

Quote from: Samboy063 on February 14, 2019, 10:22:24 AM
Love this mod, but there seems to be some scaling issues. 1440p with 1.5x UI scale
Now that's really odd. I play at 1440p and it works fine, and there SHOULD be no reason it wouldn't work. Can you try with just BetterLoading?

The 94/208 is the database it's reloading, not the mod number, so I'm not surprised that didn't help. Could you open the Rimworld Data folder (it'll be in the same place as the game executable and the mods folder) and upload the output_log.txt to hastebin/pastebin/etc?
Pastebin of output.
https://pastebin.com/HAnMwSAc

Ziehn

It's centered if i turn scaling down to 1x but doesn't scale up and sits in the corner if I use 1.5x UI scaling. Text is a bit too small at 1x :P

Samboy063

Quote from: Ziehn on February 14, 2019, 11:47:41 AM
It's centered if i turn scaling down to 1x but doesn't scale up and sits in the corner if I use 1.5x UI scaling. Text is a bit too small at 1x :P

Alright so it's scaling and Rimworld not providing proper screen resolution. Good to know.

Quote from: Ronburgundy on February 14, 2019, 10:52:10 AM

Pastebin of output.
https://pastebin.com/HAnMwSAc

That's not the correct file, that's a game crash. BetterLoading wasn't even in your mod list.

aemeyer

One of the worst parts about Rimworld is waiting for the loading to get done with aaalllll the mods.
Thank you very much.

f0xhunt

Very fun mod for people with way too many mods (ie most people here).

I noticed there is an issue where the last bit "freezes" on whatever the last mod was. I thought I found a loading bug on one of the mods but it turns out the loading screen was "freezing" on the last mod.

Maybe the game is actually taking forever on the last mod due to how it loads mod or not.

Canute

Quoteout the loading screen was "freezing" on the last mod.
I mention a similar thing.
This mod don't freeze, it is just Rimworld what is doing something but that don't get displayed through this mod.
But if it realy freeze, so Rimworld don't finish the loading process, you should post a logfile + modlist. Then the author can investigate the problem.

Samboy063

Unfortunately, the last bit of the loading process - the last bar - is run on the UI thread, so it lags the entire game's UI out meaning it can't display what's going on. The code exists to show it, it's just freezing until it's all done.

vel10

I seem to have the exact same problem as Ronburgundy. My game loads just fine, only takes a couple minutes, then sits there for about 26 minutes on 'Reloading DefDatabase: RecipeDef.' It's also database number 94.

Here's my output log: http://pasted.co/e4d98454

I've also run Startup Impact, which informs me that my time was 1952.4s, and 1592.4s of that time is 'Not directly related to mods' if that helps.

Canute

vel10,
just a hint you should adjust your modlist so you don't got erros, and you got alot of them.

account13123

Excellent! The first time I loaded RimWorld I muttered to myself that I wished it had something like this instead of just 'loading...'

MechanoidHater

I enjoy this mod. There is just one issue though. I'm at 4K screen resolution and when using 1.25x or 1.5x scailing and the new loading screen dosen't scale up right

[attachment deleted due to age]