A frustration.

Started by Kingmal, November 01, 2013, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmal

People who happen to have a youtube account can play the game simply by sending an email, but those of us who paid real money can't? Don't you think they can figure out a way to have us send us a picture of our email from Kick-Starter?
Proud member of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

Dragula

Just a YouTube account won't help. You need a solid following so you can help spread the word of rimworld.

Kickstarter just seems a bit slow on the supplying of backers, not sure how they work.

Kingmal

Quote from: Dragula on November 01, 2013, 10:38:26 PM
Just a YouTube account won't help. You need a solid following so you can help spread the word of rimworld.

Kickstarter just seems a bit slow on the supplying of backers, not sure how they work.

Something to do with the lists of backers. When you consider how many people use it for successful videogames and projects, you'd think they'd fix it. I still feel like there's another way we can show that we donated.

Augh! I can't wait for the game to come out, two weeks from now or even sooner if possible. Augh!

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

Spike

There's always red tape.  If you haven't learned that yet, just think of it as a handy life-lesson.   ;D

Kingmal

Quote from: Spike on November 01, 2013, 10:43:14 PM
There's always red tape.  If you haven't learned that yet, just think of it as a handy life-lesson.   ;D

I just wish it wasn't red tape that could be fixed. Bureaucracy, y u do dis?

Naddox

There were over 9000 backers for the kickstarter. Kickstarter has to charge each and every single one of those persons, and they can't try and charge all of them at the same time or it would cause a whole slew of issues for them, then they have to generate a list of the people who didn't follow through with their payment, and probably keep trying to get the money from them, my guess would be that they continue to try for 2 weeks and at the end of the 2 weeks they send out the list of all the people who did actually pay and not just say they were going to pay.

If all 9000+ people pay on time, my guess is Tynan will get the list faster. It has nothing to do with red-tape or any form of bureaucracy, this isn't politics. It's all about processing the load of 9498 people payments, pooling the money together, and sending it to Tynan.

So honestly, only people to be mad at are the people that backed, and then didn't pay.

Personally I think they should charge you the moment the project hits its goal and then any new backers after that get charged instantly, so there is no confusion and things can happen quicker.

But it is what it is.

Kingmal

Quote from: Naddox on November 01, 2013, 10:52:27 PM
There were over 9000 backers for the kickstarter. Kickstarter has to charge each and every single one of those persons, and they can't try and charge all of them at the same time or it would cause a whole slew of issues for them, then they have to generate a list of the people who didn't follow through with their payment, and probably keep trying to get the money from them, my guess would be that they continue to try for 2 weeks and at the end of the 2 weeks they send out the list of all the people who did actually pay and not just say they were going to pay.

If all 9000+ people pay on time, my guess is Tynan will get the list faster. It has nothing to do with red-tape or any form of bureaucracy, this isn't politics. It's all about processing the load of 9498 people payments, pooling the money together, and sending it to Tynan.

So honestly, only people to be mad at are the people that backed, and then didn't pay.

Personally I think they should charge you the moment the project hits its goal and then any new backers after that get charged instantly, so there is no confusion and things can happen quicker.

But it is what it is.

So you're saying we only get the game when every pays (or two weeks are up)?

Well balls. Out of 9000 people, chances are there's at least one idiot who doesn't know how to pay, undecided person who didn't pay, or troll who'll wait until the last minute.

MrRobSteel

Pretty sure it's all down to KS dragging their feet for whatever reason. I only backed in the last few days and they took my money in a few hours of it ending, so I don't see how it take two weeks to generate a list from data they already have. That said nothing that we or Ty can do about it so just wait patiently

TankaaKumawani

Oh, there's red tape alright, my credit card company does not like the transaction process for Kickstarter very much at all.  That's probably why it takes a week or two to get everything coordinated.  (This sounds indignant, but then again, better a false positive than a false negative.)

Bobthefarmer1

They took my payment 25 minutes after the kickstarter ended, its more or less just them working out payments, taking their cut, processing all the other kickstarters and more then likely legal fees, like querying the suspicious payments, incase a credit card was stolen or such.

Solemn

Kingmal, fretting over youtube jazz isn't going to win the day.  I complained about it in jest, but it just seems that this is the way it has to be.  If you want to work towards changing that, I'd get in touch with someone on Kickstarter's side of things, not a forum for an upstart game. 
QuoteYou people.

Greiger

I'm sure they contact anybody who payment failed to go through with and give them time to correct the issue.

Sometimes unexpected bills come up and there is suddenly not enough money to pay the bill.  Giving those people a few weeks to be contacted and correct the issue works out better for funding than immediately giving up and not collecting from them I'm sure.

air805ronin

Quote from: Greiger on November 01, 2013, 11:48:19 PM
I'm sure they contact anybody who payment failed to go through with and give them time to correct the issue.

This is actually exactly what they do and it has happened for every project I've backed.  Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland, the boardgame Zombicide...

If you look at the numbers almost 10,000 people backed this game.  The law of large numbers suggests that at least a few will not have their transactions go through via lack of credit, lack of funds, anti-fraud measures (valid or not).  Each one of these failures is kicked back in an email saying that the payment didn't go through and allows you to adjust your information.

They give these people a week to correct this information and then run the payments again with the  new info.  If they go past two weeks without a successful payment, they are removed from the backer list.

At the end of the payment time Kickstarter takes a percentage for their trouble, forwards the money and a list of backers for each level to the kickstarter.

There is really nothing to do but wait, I'm sorry.

City Builder

Honestly, I think it's a combination of things but primarily it's a waiting period to see which backers do a chargeback and which accounts get flagged and reported as a fraudulent charge on their credit cards more than anything else.

KS probably wants to minimize those events and those that do that or who have used a stolen or bogus cc info from getting their item/product/game etc.  Obviously KS doesn't want to give money to the seller and then find out that they're out the money themselves because of charge-backs and or stolen CC.

Turbo

Once the credit cards etc clear 3-5 days later they have the money. Then need to transfer with the list of backers to Tynan.

Kickstarter makes money by:
- Taking a percentage
- Investing the money prior to release

Actually it is very similar to how banks transfer money, did you know your delay in transfer from bank to bank is to do with brief investment?

Sad to see someone sign up to the forums the last day of the kickstarter to demand a release that the creator has no control over.
Whatever happens, happens.