Cryosleep Fear

Started by PineappleSmacker, February 01, 2019, 10:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineappleSmacker

Okay. So I'm using Temperate Forests, have 10 colonists, and in the room there's 7 Cryptosleep Caskets, a Psychic Tuning Fork, and some (awful) drugs.

How do I play this? Do all caskets open at once if one is activated? I'm kinda scared, primarily because all I have is Hunting Rifles and Pump-Actions.

What would y'all do?

AileTheAlien

Caskets in ancient ruins do all open at once. You could wait until you have better pawns or guns, or make some sandbags inside the ruins to hide behind, and put torches so the enemy is in light (gives a bit of a bonus to hit, IIRC). Or build some turrets to help you kill the enemy when you wake them up.

Canute

You can't say what you get when you open the casket.
They can be
- dead
- downed
- neutral
- hostile
- small insect bugs

And all of them got cyrosleep sickness, which let them vormit sometimes.
But since you got 10 pawn's vs. max. 7 of them you should handle it without problems.
But maybe you should made some recurved bow's for all the other pawn's or steel mace/club's.

Yoshida Keiji

Use stone blocks and divide the Ancient Shrine into small rooms, then you can handle the occupants individually, if there's someone you would like to recruit, go with punches and not melee weapons or you may accidentally cut off an arm or leg.

Kirby23590

Put in some turrets in the corners, and if i were you, i will need to get better weapons like chain shotguns and charge rifles or frag grenades.

Just set up your traps and get those frag grenades or incendiary launchers or molotovs for that!

However they can all be just all injured innocents or just nope just friendly don't mind me walking out...

Ancient Soldiers in other hand they will start attacking and they have Power Armor or Marine Armor as the game calls them... They aren't bad they mostly have the weapons that your colonists can handle like Assault Rifles and LMGs... And some are idiots who will attack you with bare fists...

BTW Brawlers with shield belts going to help out here... Just put some doors or holes in the ruins so you can flank em' ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Canute

Kirby23590,
he just got a rifle and shotgun, don't you think if he could build turrets he could build more weapons first ? :-)

But the idea with traps are good (but expensive), build some traps at your homearea and then replace them next to the casket.
Open the closest casket and then head outside and let them walk into the traps.

The other idea to build rooms around each casket is excellent too.
At this way you just have to fight against one vs many of yours. You can even bare hands fight them, but careful with the ones with Marine armor.

Kirby23590

@Canute

Well luckily...

You can wait it out until you get those components and the research for turrets...

You don't have to rush opening those cryosleep caskets if you know what you are doing, you have a lot of time for planning of how they are dangerous if there are all mostly ancient soldiers inside them...

Traps are expensive but i prefer the Deadfall traps rather than IEDs here... ;)

Shurp

Dealing with the occupants of the crypt is fairly easy.  The only hard part is the poor guy you send in to pop them open.  He usually gets downed right away.  If you have someone with the Wimp attribute this is a perfect time to use him.  He'll go down without too much injury and you can save him later.

I miss the days when crypts were stuffed with mechanoids that you had to fight off first... what happened to them?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on February 03, 2019, 06:04:37 PM
Dealing with the occupants of the crypt is fairly easy.  The only hard part is the poor guy you send in to pop them open.  He usually gets downed right away.  If you have someone with the Wimp attribute this is a perfect time to use him.  He'll go down without too much injury and you can save him later.

I miss the days when crypts were stuffed with mechanoids that you had to fight off first... what happened to them?

You can shoot them and they will activate.  As such, the safe play is to replace a wall section with a door, open that door, shoot the casket, and back off if anything is stronger than you can handle.

Hostiles will break out and attack you like a basic raid, but you'll have more than enough time to get back to usual base defenses for that.  The only potential issue is that in some cases the hostile spacers are well-armed and armored, so opening too early might force you off the map.

Shurp

Oh, I never knew shooting the pods would do the trick.  Well that makes it much easier!  Thanks!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kirby23590

Yea been doing that all the time with my guy with an Assault rifle or any other ranged weapon...

It's safer but when you shoot it and it doesn't come out... It means that the pod contains a friendly refugee inside or a dead person in there...

But if it's an ancient soldier... They all come out at once! ;D

Ukas

Just arm everyone with wooden maces, and have your best armor on. Put two guys beside every casket, then open one. Cryosleeper are always armed with ranged, and often have no armor. It will be one hell of a melee fight, but I never had any major casualties, sometimes but very rarely a pawn can loose his toe or finger. With this gimmick you get a higher chance of recruits or prisoners to be sold later, than by shooting at them, which makes them more dangerous as opponents too.