Raid types

Started by Snownova, July 16, 2014, 07:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

Based on this thread: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4756.0

I'd like to suggest some new types of attacks:

Food raids: Tribe X is suffering from a famine and in their desperation they are attacking you in the hopes of stealing your food stores. Attackers will proceed to your granaries, fill their pockets and withdraw.

Thieves: The attackers will go straight for your silver stores, take all the booty they can find and shoot their way out.

Mech raid: The local mechanoid hive requires metal to expand, mechanoids assault your colony to gain access to your metal stores (perhaps loading it aboard a special cargo mech) and withdraw with their loot.

Prison bust: If you have prisoners an attack will come to try and free them. (especially if it was a previously friendly tribe who you angered by capturing one of them). Once they have busted out their colonist they will retreat.

You can see the theme here is that attacks don't always have to be about wiping out your colony, they could also just try and damage your economy.

EscapeZeppelin

I like this a lot. I always thought it would be nice to occasionally give the raiders motivations besides "kill everyone and break stuff." It also gives you the option of tribute to appease them by leaving your supplies outside for them to take. The hostile faction comes and collects increasing amounts of resources every x days but if they don't get it then they attack. It would also give you some more interesting diplomatic options. I suppose it's similar to the kidnapping mechanic that was added so I hope we see more of things like this.

Lancer447

This would be a great addition to the game. I mean, you would not only have to worry about attacks on your colony that kill your colonists but also attacks on your colony that deplete your resources, food, n' such. Devs, y u no add this?
Outdated mods: Lancer's Mods Bundle.
Shamless advertising mods and stories... Penana.

Darth Fool

PsychoticLime

I though about this just today, but I focused more on friendly visitors: currently there's just the "visitors from x are visiting the colony" event, and it involves a (usually) gigantic group of people that come, talk to each other for a while and then leave. I understand that the intent of this event is to give help if there are enemies around, but why don't take it further?

Example, let's say you just had a fire and quite a lot of your structures is damaged: in this case, with a chance proportional to the goodwill you have with the faction visiting, you could have a window popping out and saying something like "The visitors from [visiting faction] notice the bad shape of your colony. They offer to help you repair some of your structures." and you could either accept or deny.

Another time, maybe, the message could be "The visitors from [visiting colony] look pretty worn down. They tell you about the famine in their lands and ask if you have any food to spare with them". In this case, accepting would increase the goodwill with the faction.

And so on: there is really an endless list of sub-events like these, if you think about it.

bjo0rn

I like all your ideas. There is currently no motivation for raids, they just want to kill and damage buildings. Adding background and objectives to the raid would open up both for new ways to build the story line and a new raid dynamics.

Quote from: PsychoticLime on July 16, 2014, 03:50:13 PM
I though about this just today, but I focused more on friendly visitors: currently there's just the "visitors from x are visiting the colony" event, and it involves a (usually) gigantic group of people that come, talk to each other for a while and then leave. I understand that the intent of this event is to give help if there are enemies around, but why don't take it further?

Example, let's say you just had a fire and quite a lot of your structures is damaged: in this case, with a chance proportional to the goodwill you have with the faction visiting, you could have a window popping out and saying something like "The visitors from [visiting faction] notice the bad shape of your colony. They offer to help you repair some of your structures." and you could either accept or deny.

Another time, maybe, the message could be "The visitors from [visiting colony] look pretty worn down. They tell you about the famine in their lands and ask if you have any food to spare with them". In this case, accepting would increase the goodwill with the faction.

And so on: there is really an endless list of sub-events like these, if you think about it.

A bit off topic, but I agree. New ways to interact with visitors are very welcome.

PsychoticLime

Yeah I know I were quite off topic there, sorry, it was just an idea that came to my mind.

About the raids, I think it is a great idea, especially if you think that raiders are from other settlements on the planet: it is logical to suppose that they don't attack you for fun (well, maybe a little) but because they need resources and such

Luroshard

Quote from: Snownova on July 16, 2014, 07:57:09 AM
Food raids: Tribe X is suffering from a famine and in their desperation they are attacking you in the hopes of stealing your food stores. Attackers will proceed to your granaries, fill their pockets and withdraw.
Thieves: The attackers will go straight for your silver stores, take all the booty they can find and shoot their way out.
Mech raid: The local mechanoid hive requires metal to expand, mechanoids assault your colony to gain access to your metal stores (perhaps loading it aboard a special cargo mech) and withdraw with their loot.
Prison bust: If you have prisoners an attack will come to try and free them. (especially if it was a previously friendly tribe who you angered by capturing one of them). Once they have busted out their colonist they will retreat.

Very good suggestions, these would greatly increase the variety of stories given to players. I'd also like to see lategame Cassandra Classic sending out two different raid types from two different factions (or the same)

"The Knuckledraggers (faction name) have sent out two squads from the east and west both with different motives!"

And clicking the raiders in each squad would tell you what they are doing just like the current alpha where it shows "Igniting wood wall" but instead on some raids it will show "attempting to break (name) out of prison"
and "stealing silver reserves"

A few raiders will be set to attack and once they feel that they can conquer in numbers they converge on your resources etc.

Snownova

Also, looking at Alpha 5, it might not take too much time to implement most of these raid types. I mean the code for raiders suddenly deciding to "take everybody who is unconscious and run" can't be too different from "take all the silver/metal/food and run".

Bog

Some more raid type ideas:

Technophobia: Tribal raiders will try to specifically destroy technological things, such as power generators and turrets.

Weapons raid: Raiders will try to steal your guns.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

BetaSpectre

Support, man we need raiders that can do this and not be dumb about it.

I personally think that raiders when they do try this drop pods on the resource that they want, if they can't drop a pod on the resource chances are its too well guarded to make the attempt worth it.

Of course there should be more to it then that but that's for the future.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO