Siege Mortar Friendly Fire

Started by Halinder, July 16, 2014, 09:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halinder

Whilst playing around in developer mode, I decided to activate two sieges from factions that were at war with one another. It took me a few tries to get them at opposite ends of the map, so what happened was that some raiders took control of outlander mortars after murdering them, whilst the outlanders did the same for any raider mortars around. What happened was that the mortars seemed to have been preset to fire at one faction, or something of the like, as raiders would fire on themselves as close as possible and vice versa for the outlanders.

Rahjital

I had the same happen, except with my colonists. I managed to capture an intact mortar battery just after the raiders managed to build it (a story of incredible luck in itself), and now I've got a ship part landed near my town. I had the bright idea of using the raider mortar battery to support the rest of my colonists who hid in the town, but unfortunately the mortars had a different idea and demolished the colony instead.

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Halinder

I don't think it's forced fire. I didn't experience it with manual control of the mortars, but it wasn't targeting just one person/area, it was shooting the closest thing to itself as if it was still a pirate mortar.

Rahjital

Indeed, pirate mortars cannot even be controlled at all, but they can still be manned by drafted colonists. If you do that, the mortar will start shooting the closest thing that is hostile to it, which most often happens to be your own colonists.