[1.0]Smarty Storyteller. A storyteller that tracks your boredom

Started by meowmeow, February 04, 2019, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Thats... one interesting way to track your boredom, i guess xD You go AFK, you get instarekt, marvelous

TheSurvivor64

Challenge: use god mode to build a base as fast as possible before you get thousands of raids and then see how many you can live through.

RadGH

I thought the storyteller would be a good idea, more adaptive than the existing storytellers which have just way too much space in between. But after installing and activating the storyteller I've had four raids in the first day. Each one an equal amount of raiders to match my colonists, but most are equipped with firearms.

It's not a matter of boredom, I can't fight one of these groups let alone back to back. I had to quickload and hope they weren't armed with guns. I wasn't even able to carry a prisoner back before the next raid of another 5 soldiers appeared.

Sorry, this storyteller just isn't usable. Maybe it's just not designed for someone who uses hotkeys for everything, I don't know.

Maybe it's more fun late game if you have an automated killbox, but it's absolutely not viable if you play without killboxes or turrets. I don't know what people are saying that it's difficult "if you go afk", it's difficult if you are actively playing and building/microing in 1x speed.

EDIT: FYI this is a colony which has only researched batteries, very low tech with only a few of the starting medicine available. It was not even winter yet.

togfox

Sounds like it needs a bit of tuning. I hope a balance can be found.  :)

RadGH

Yeah it is still a good idea and I hope my message wasn't discouraging! I think at the very least it needs some time to learn what the player's normal play style is before it can decide if you are "bored". It also seems that unlike other storytellers, it doesn't care if you are currently facing a challenge or not. I think that is still a necessary piece, even if the storyteller is based on player behavior.

meowmeow

The purpose of releasing V0.1.0 version is to gain feedback, as I wasn't sure what level of 'engage-ness' Rimworld players have. From the feedback I get, I think we can safely say there's no overlap between Starcraft players and Rimworld players. I'll tune the numbers to let Smarty better understand what's the correct level of player input required.

At the moment, it tracks how fast you're playing the game (pause, 2X speed, etc) and how much you're interacting with the game (though input such as clicks). Unfortunately, it seemed I grossly underestimate how casual the game is. Do people eat cereal while keeping the game running at max speed? Maybe a few click to adjust his colony every few minute?

Quote from: Canute on February 06, 2019, 03:27:14 PM
A storyteller who got access to your webcam, micro and keyboard analyse your mimic and noises and then made incidents depend on that ? :-)

Also, just FYI, I don't think modders are even allowed to access the cam. That's privacy violation on so many levels that not even deeprim can handle.

Canute

QuoteI'll tune the numbers to let Smarty better understand what's the correct level of player input required.
Fixed numbers is a bad idea, IMO.
Some people micromanage alot, other don't but that don't say anything about their current boredom.

You should made an analysis of that current colony. How much does he move the mouse and use the keyboard.
And when the current activity is below 50% (adjustable by mod settings) of the overall average, the storyteller can throw in more stuff.

Erthie

Quote from: meowmeow on February 15, 2019, 08:01:42 AM
At the moment, it tracks how fast you're playing the game (pause, 2X speed, etc) and how much you're interacting with the game (though input such as clicks). Unfortunately, it seemed I grossly underestimate how casual the game is. Do people eat cereal while keeping the game running at max speed? Maybe a few click to adjust his colony every few minute?

I play with work tab mod and set all the pawns to do only the jobs i want, and often i have people doing things for 3-4 days in the right way without micromanaging. Especially in the beginning of a colony when skill lvl is low and jobs are slow.
Also i only play at 3x speed and pause the game when i need to do something and slow the game when i got raided.

Maybe a better way to track pawns inactivity is to check if they are skipping a lot of works and doing those with less priority

togfox

I guess for me, when I get bored I'll use time acceleration and do a lot of panning with the keyboard (or rarely, the mouse/screen borders). But I would still use the mouse to click and examine things or just watch an awesome wall go up (Trump is jealous). I think it's fair to say that mouse clicks are considerably more when there are things to do (like construct something or deal with a raid/fire/plague/event). I just don't know how to quantify "more".   ???

whyareuhere

I commented earlier on the issue with the raids on the Sometimes Raids go Wrong mod. What I think would fix this is to keep the raid difficulty, but to dictate how and when to send a limited amount of raids. Manhunter pack? Smarty should try to delay the raid for a few days (if the manhunter pack isn't dead), or when raids fail, only send a certain amount of raids (a cap of around 2 to 3 raid events) and to send then a few hours apart to spook the player.

Jan2607

Quote from: meowmeow on February 15, 2019, 08:01:42 AM

Do people eat cereal while keeping the game running at max speed?

Yes, that actually IS, what I'm doing :D