[1.2] Xenohumans - Gen-spliced Xenos on the Rim

Started by Albion, February 07, 2019, 10:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Gen-spliced Xenohumans

This mod adds 4 new Xenohuman races to your game.
They can randomly appear as your starting colonists or later during the game as members of the vanilla factions.
This mod is CE compatible!

Savegame compatible You can add this mod to an existing savegame.

Needs the AlienRaces framework and JecTools to function. Please load AFTER AlienRaces and JecTools.

If you encounter any bugs please report them. I will fix them as soon as possible.

Download links
Steam Link
Nexus mods (manual download)

If you enjoy the mod please consider to buy me a coffee:

The Xenohuman races are:

Soldiermorphs - Genetically engineered humans breed for combat. The are tougher but have difficulty learning new things.

Designer mates - Engineered to be perfect mates these Xenohumans are pleasant to look at and are able to get better trading prices or recruit prisoners.

Wolfmen - Furry wolf-like creatures with retractable claws that deal more damage than normal hands. They enjoy a cold climate but are quick to anger and tend to fight socially.

Scalemen - Perfectly adapted to hot biomes. Their leathery skin provides a natural armor and they survive high temperatures without problems. They need less food but tire more quickly and move slightly slower than average humans.

You can get the Xenohuman races as starting colonists.
However they also show up as refugees, wanderers or visitors/raiders from other vanilla factions.

Mod compatibility
I'm not aware of any conflicts with other mods.
If you run into any errors or want to check specific compatibilities feel free to post or pm me.

Credits
Created by Albion
Thanks to Rebelrot for providing the textures for the Xenohumans and to Saebbi for helping with CE compatibility.
Preview created by Chickenplucker.

License
This mod is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

You can therefore adapt, transform, and build upon this mod but I want credit and a short pm if you publish it.
However do not re-upload this mod without my consent and don't publish any translated version.
If you want to translate my mod please contact me and I can send you the necessary files. I'll incorporate any translations and credit the translator.

Erthie

are these xenohumans going to spawn in human factions like pirates or they have their own factions?

Albion

They spawn with normal vanilla factions as raiders, traders or slaves.
Additionally they can appear as wanderers, refugees or as starting colonists.

Ibrahym

To be honest, i was little disappointed because i thought i could engineer my colonist.
anyway nice mood

Call me Arty

Nice to see this finally come out before I got around to learning how to code sometime in the next three decades or so, and I'm more than a tad excited to check it out. I'd recommend putting a couple pictures of the xenos by themselves though, so people can get a better first impression. I'll dive into it tonight and see if I can't find any bugs or suggestions.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Albion

Glad you guys like the mod.
I'm currently working on a spin-off that lets you convert a normal human into one of those Xenohumans. Stay tuned.

Call me Arty

Been playing around with the new xenos a bit, and I think they're pretty solid. There are two main categories of concern for this mod, however. Be aware that I am treating this as criticisms of the portrayal as xenohumans, which the mod page and mod itself back-up. If the mod were to instead add a bunch of pawns with anything between a xeno parent or great^4 grandparent, then almost all of it could be disregarded as genetic and cultural drift.

Appearances:
Simultaneously, it's the biggest and pettiest problem at the moment, at least for me. The Wolfmen and Scalemen are fairly distinct, though the Designer Mates and Soldiermorphs blend in far more with the standard humans.

I think Rebel did a great job at making the Wolfmen look like humans with wolfish attributes. If anything, it makes the DMs and SMs a bit lacking in comparison. Here is a human, who's had the same opportunities and sort of upbringing that you and I have had. Here is a designer mate (or one of their descendants) made to look like someone with deep pocket's perfect beauty, something unattainable with whatever the future uses like Tinder. Finally, here is someone designed by all the genetics we had access to for the purpose of killing its fellow humans. When you've got between six to twenty of these guys running around a colony or wearing tuques and parkas at the top of your screen, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between them.

I think there are simple solutions you wouldn't even need an artist for that could fix that. Going off of the lore we have, even the distant descendants of the designer mates "occasionally express . . . traits like . . . streaks of multicolored hair, or artistic patterns on the skin." I've not gotten into the guts of race-making for Rimworld, but you could give the Designer Mates a lot more pop in the colony by restricting them to brighter unnatural hair colors, and Ben Day dots could be a simple way to make them look a tad different. Soldiermorphs meanwhile? It's safe to say that they were inspired by Warhammer 40k's Space Marines, just read the Marine Armor's description, "imperial" and "space marine" aren't in the same sentence by coincidence. I personally believe the design should reflect this heritage a bit more to differentiate them from other pawns. "Typically, they have large muscles. . ." meaning that it would be a safe bet you keep them as "hulk" body types. Bred for battle? Long hair would get in the way of gas masks and helmets, and would probably be a pain to keep clean if you crawled through muddy trenches for a living. Have they lived their whole lives pumped full of drugs or in the shadows of a training facility, cryptosleep casket, or power armor? Keep their skin to either an enraged pinkish-red, or palish gray. Altogether, you'd have either this fine fellow or this gentleman, both looking far different from your average joe. I think I noticed a bit of this on the Designer Mates, though it's minor enough that it could just be my monitor and I am mistaken.

Also, Scalemen with hair is a bit weird. Rather than just being bald, lizards have a nice variety of crests and such that look pretty cool, if I do say so myself. [1] [2] [3]

Flavor:
I personally think this lady is a a tad problematic.

• "Needs a really impressive bedroom" (Greedy perk. Bleeding heart is from Psychology and I wouldn't expect your initial release to be made with other mods in minds).
  • Incapable of violent acts.
  • Stated as living upto thirty years in lore, has only five left when we get her (lifespan set to 26).
  • Began by writing stories, grew up to be a charismatic con artist. Shapely and pretty. Soldiermorph.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on Soldiermorphs, I just didn't want to go and nit-pick every one of the races, and these are the ones who logically have the most restrictions.

Logically, xenohumans wouldn't stay where they were meant to stay, due to the fact that we have asteroid miners and medieval peasants on the same Rimworld. However, one would figure that even by shedding their natural habitat and expectations, there are still some things that the xenos simply wouldn't do. If the mod is intended to add these xenohumans, a great deal of backstories make little to no sense for the species they represent. Con Artist, for example is an obvious contestant for removal from soldiermorphs, as it's all about social skill and removes violent capabilities, meaning you now have a pawn character who excels at combat with detriments to everything else who can't use those skills. (As there are a helluva lot of backstories, I'd be willing to help weed out the ones that don't fit the xenos, same for traits).
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Albion

I get were you're coming from and I would love to implement all the stuff you mention but there are limitations.
With another 3-6 months I might deliver on an even better mod but to be honest, I went with the minimal viable product and hit release.

It's not because I'm lazy or anything but because there is only so much time I wanted to invest into fine-tuning before I release. Time is a precious resource, especially since my wife is pregnant and we're moving because I got a more demanding (and better paying) job.

Basically I had the option to continue on for a decently long time, improving and perfecting the mod or I just crunch through the rest and release what I got. I obviously chose the latter.
There probably won't be many more improvements done by me for the same reason.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants to improve the mod though. So if you want to go through all the backstories and give them tags like wolfmen, designermate, etc. feel free to do so. There is a description in the Alien Race wiki on how to do it. I'll happily include it in the mod.

Long story short:
I don't have as much time as I used to have and even though the proposed changes are interesting, I probably won't have time to implement them.

Call me Arty

Huh, alright. Well, can't help but feel immensely disappointed with your choice to prioritize your family over some alien-shaped code for a bunch of morally deficient dictator wannabes, but I hope you and yours are doing well. I'll see if I can't look through some backstories.

Kirby23590

Hey. Family Stuff is important, but let me see i can try some new backstories for those soldiermorphs and designer mates i got for em'

I got some knowledge from the AlienRaces Wiki with some basics from it, so could make some backstories out of them... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Kirby23590

Sorry for the double post...

But if you use the Mech Healer Serum in vanilla or by sending one of them to the Mystical Shaman from More faction interaction.

You can accidentally remove the bonuses and some of the weakness of the xenohumans. Like the Soldiermorph's accuracy bonus and their social fight chance from the wolfmen and the soldiermorphs, including the designer mate's trade and social bonuses...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Albion

Yes, I'm aware of the issue and already know of a solution to fix it. Unfortunately I didn't have time yet to actually implement it. I'll try to do so by Sunday.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Albion

I uploaded a new and improved version of the mod, both on Steam and Nexusmods.

Xenohuman spawnrate was reduced so they become more rare.
Fixed various issues. Healer mech serum won't remove the race HeDiffs anymore.

bobisz

I really like this mod, great job!

Could you please clear up something for me tho:

I just recruited a Wolfman, but he seemingly always have the following two debuffs:
-ate without a table
- slept in the heat

I know they are inherently like cold biomes better, so I dressed him up in equipment that pushes his comfortable temperature up, and lowered his room temperataure quite a bit (around 10-ish celsius), still gets the debuff. What gives?

For the table I have zero clue.. I know pawns are extra stupid with eating and tables, but there is a LOT of them in my colony and all the other pawns get this debuff much less.

Albion

The ate without a table can depend on his job.
The search radius for a nearby table is rather small and if he works far enough away he'll usually just eat the meal he brought with him on the floor.
I personally build a few extra small tables with just a chair or two exactly to mitigate this issue.

The cold on the other hand is another issue. Check the Gear tab. It should show the current comfortable for the pawn. Remember that various apperals lower the maximum comfortable temperature. You should equip him with a duster and maybe a cowboy hat which both increase the max comfortable temperature.
Just check the gear tab and try to keep him in a temperature range that is within those limits.