Game Uninstalling Itself on Steam

Started by doubt, February 14, 2019, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubt

Sometimes when I turn off my computer and turn it back on (after playing Rimworld) I come back to play Rimworld to find it uninstalled.  When I install it and try to access my previous games it complains about an error accessing the map. I have not been able to get a game past 1.5 years so far, and it is getting pretty annoying.

Kirby23590

Do you have an Anti-Virus Program?

I do remember some of those anti-viruses programs will delete some steam games, even if they are non-malicious or are just mostly games or harmless software bought from there...

Norton is infamous for deleting some games or programs that are harmless... Which why you might look if your Firewall or your Anti-virus software might be responsible for deleting your game...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

BoogieMan

Kirby is probably on to something there. What anti virus program are you running? It probably has a log of actions taken, you may be able to see if it recorded nuking your Rimworld folder.

I've twice had games suddenly appear as if uninstalled, the entry on the list faded out like an uninstalled game but the files are still there and if I manually navigate to the folder I can still launch the game. Both your and my problem doesn't seem entirely uncommon.

Kirby23590

@BoogieMan
I'm just asking about what Anti-Virus Program that he has since used to have Norton AntiVirus and that i found out that it was the one that kept on deleting my games by quarantining them or deleting the .exe file when i just wanted to play Dwarf Fortress back in those days...

There is a good reason why Norton AntiVirus is pretty much hated nowadays since it would delete some files and games that are harmless that aren't even Trojans or Viruses...

You might want to look at this Post from the Steam Forums in Dead Cells game post when the OP had the Norton as his AV that kept deleting the game's exe.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.