Started by Natedoggy222, February 27, 2019, 07:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natedoggy222

Yes this is a tiny feature but i think it would be awesome to have

togfox

Canute

Quote from: Natedoggy222 on February 27, 2019, 07:20:12 PM
Yes this is a tiny feature but i think it would be awesome to have
Instead just before and behind the turbine, you would need a whole area around the turbine to be free.

And do you watched comercial wind park closer ? Normaly the strong wind allways come from the same direction (west to east). So turbine's at the big park are planned to reflect that.

Cimm0

But it serves absolutely no purpose and adds nothing?

Mehni

It adds a bit of realism and some constraints on how you can build your base. Those constraints can be fun, as they add some depth/challenge to the game.

It would be a nice addition.

Canute

I rather would say to add a windoverlay to the map, so you get area's with different wind output's.
Then the turbines get multiplied with the wind 0.5 to 1.5.

Kirby23590

Well, it's something that will help me build more power and relining more in wind power turbines, this something that i will do for Cities Skylines before jumping into more better power solutions or those advanced wind turbines in that game...

But i'm not sure how to make that a mod or make use of it in Rimworld...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Shurp

How do you know wind direction isn't *already* implemented, and the reason your turbines stopped is because they're facing the wrong way?    ;)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

I would hate this.  Fitting wind turbines into a base AND protecting them from raids is already incredibly space-intensive.  It would negatively impact my enjoyment of the game to have an already space intensive power source made even worse in that regards.

Additionally, the space that wind turbines take up has ALREADY been reduced over the last few alpha updates to where it is now, so the Devs have already at some point in the game's recent past decided that the wind turbines took up TOO MUCH space, and reduced their space requirement.  It seems unlikely and backwards to reverse that decision.

Finally...this really belongs in the suggestions forum.

Kirby23590

Yea i was thinking about that, since if you want where there is the best wind in that location, it has to be far away...

Meaning raiders will set it on fire and you will be late to protect it and not to mention building longer wires for it costing more steel or iron to make eating up resources for it...

I would prefer how XND's Watermill's tweak did it. I mean windmills produce more power in rains depending on the weather, and in XND's watermills tweak mod, it added an incident exclusive for the watermills where they produce more power and electricity for the colony in the rivers, but get the watermills damaged thanks to the Turbulent waters and the debris coming out, where the watermills start requiring repairs...

How about something like a very strong winds incident where it functions similarly to the Turbulent waters rather than adding wind directions?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Mehni

Quote from: Limdood on February 28, 2019, 06:01:43 PM
Additionally, the space that wind turbines take up has ALREADY been reduced over the last few alpha updates to where it is now, so the Devs have already at some point in the game's recent past decided that the wind turbines took up TOO MUCH space, and reduced their space requirement.  It seems unlikely and backwards to reverse that decision.

If anything, they increased in size. They were 5x2, now they're 7x2.

Limdood

Quote from: Mehni on March 01, 2019, 07:05:02 AM
Quote from: Limdood on February 28, 2019, 06:01:43 PM

If anything, they increased in size. They were 5x2, now they're 7x2.
They significantly reduced the length they need clear.  Whether the total square area is greater or less, I personally find them significantly easier to fit into areas now than I did before where i never seemed to have enough length of space in any direction