Portable Emergency Rations

Started by bjo0rn, July 16, 2014, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjo0rn

Problem: The new siege feature requires colonists to walk across the map to fight the enemy and then walk back. I find that for larger maps (e.g. 300x300) hunger and exhaustion kicks in before I've had a fair chance of taking down the enemy.

Solution: An extra inventory slot (i.e. a backpack) for a portable emergency food ration (etc.).

Discussion: A portable emergency food ration solution can also come handy in other situations, such as in food crises or when colonists are working on the other side of the map. Yes, I know what you're thinking, it kinda takes away the thrill not having to worry about food crises. For the sake of gameplay and balance, measures should of course be taken to ensure it really is the last resort. It could for example be a high crafting cost, a movement speed penalty for carrying it, or a mood penalty for eating it (that is lower than hunger but higher than the worst food (raw?)).

Let me know what you think!

Evul

I think that's nice ^^ Especially when you have extremely large maps.

mrofa

Keep in mind that there are also other effects that are working on your colonist mood so having only food rations will make your colonist last only a bit longer, and taking your point on large maps it wont help much if at all, especialy if he will move slower.
All i do is clutter all around.

bjo0rn

Quote from: mrofa on July 16, 2014, 06:20:18 PM
Keep in mind that there are also other effects that are working on your colonist mood so having only food rations will make your colonist last only a bit longer, and taking your point on large maps it wont help much if at all, especially if he will move slower.

As far as I know, only two effects are time dependent (hunger, sleepiness). Curing one of them would provide valuable extra time. You have a very valid point about the movement speed penalty though, I obviously didn't think it through haha. However, high crafting cost and mood penalty for eating it could be enough to make it balanced.

mrofa

Envoirment beauty is also generated in this let you pawn stay near few rocks or next to desert area and you will that its kick in.
Also you get - mood when your pawn is hurt.
As much as i agree that there could be some way to be able to run long range operations i dont think this would be a way.
Unless you could just shoot food rations from your base with mortars which i could actually do and test:D
And there is prapobly some unseen mood factor, this is only from my observation thrugh so im not 100%, but it seems that some colonist got more max mood than others so they last longer, or i got just most resiliant body haulers :D

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

mrofa

Tested mortars with food and it dont help much, thers to much -mood, my colonist lasted whole 2 mins longer

bjo0rn

Quote from: mrofa on July 17, 2014, 10:40:50 AM
Tested mortars with food and it dont help much, thers to much -mood, my colonist lasted whole 2 mins longer
Thanks for testing! Was there any mood penalty in particular that finally triggered the mental breakdown?

BetaSpectre

Two minutes irl is a lifetime if you know what to do
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

bjo0rn

Maybe the emergency ration could include Red Bull or two for better effect? ;)

Lancer447

This is a really good idea! I'd like to see it in-game so that my colonists don't die when they could've put up a fight at the enemy encampment, but their food gave them too much of a penalty. That would be so much more helpful.
Outdated mods: Lancer's Mods Bundle.
Shamless advertising mods and stories... Penana.

Sion

When you are working a long time far away from the collony you can solve the solution like this:

1. First disable every food type higher than raw food everywhere on the map.
2. Choose a berrie bush or an agave plant near the hungry colonist and designate it for harvesting.
3. Order the hungry colonist to cut the plant.
4. The hungry colonist will immediately grab the food and eat it.
5. Re-enable the higher food sources again for the other colonists.

But I guess a backpack would work too :P
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.