[Mod request] Harvesting from Raspberry bushes is now a melee skill

Started by ilikerimworld, February 14, 2019, 07:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikerimworld

Looking for a mod that will change harvesting from Raspberry bushes (only) from a plant skill to a melee skill. The speed, success rate and gameplay should remain unchanged.

Why?

1. Melee skill sucks. 2. This change follows the same model used for the ranged skill, both skills can now be used to fight and gather food from the wildness. 3. Plant skill is op.

Any insight, help, link is appreciated.

Canute

New Kung Fu training method, go and harvest berries with monkey style ! :-)

Maybe you should get some training mods, to train up some skills.

Kirby23590

I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I mean we do cut them up by using machetes or knives or even using some of our martial arts of taekwondo and kung-fu to get some berries and fruits out of the plants or bushes...

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ilikerimworld

You use your hands, good enough.

Anyway, this mod is too much work and ain't gonna happen.

1. This would require some recoding of various other things, like work priority, incapable of violent trait etc.

2. This possibly makes non violent starts non-viable, not an intended change.

A good alternative is the melee hunting mod, which already exists, but I haven't tested it.

LWM

I suppose I already go melee hunting, by drafting a pawn and sending them out after rabbits and such.  Repeat until badly wounded...

--LWM

Kirby23590

Or i could tell them to punch some random object or wall to train their melee skill if i wanted to... :P

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ilikerimworld

Attacking and hunting aren't the same thing. If you melee attack an animal, you start a normal fight and he is going to attack back and you are going to get injured and die. Hunting or stealth hunting however it is called only has a small chance to trigger retaliation.

The idea behind the melee hunting mod or the harvesting idea is to buff the melee skill to make it a more useful and desirable stat since it's currently the worst stat in the game. It also increases the number of strategies available.

LWM

Small animals will usually run from the attack, in my experience.  I can usually fight quite a few of them before I need to step back and pick up corpses.

Also, I have found that if the animal is asleep when I kill it, then the melee stat doesn't go up.  So the risk is required to get the reward.  OTOH, it's very possible to get to 10 melee without too much trouble?

--LWM

ilikerimworld

> --LWM

Why do you keep talking about increasing your stats? It's not about increasing your stats, it's about balancing the game and making the melee skill more useful. Currently, melee skill only has one purpose, to fight raiders, and it's not even good at it, regardless of how many points you have in it.

For example, the plant skill allows you to get food from bushes and plantations, medical herbs, crafting materials for clothes, weapons, drugs, construction materials etc... It's not only very versatile but also very useful since all those materials are indispensable to do anything. In a similar vein, the shooting skill allows you to fight raiders and also hunt animals to get food unscathed. It's not as useful as the plant skill, but food is indispensable and in some biomes hunting is the only source of food.

The post is about buffing the melee skill to be at least on par with the ranged skill in terms of versatility and usefulness.

Btw, the melee hunting mod available on steam doesn't work. It simply makes the pawn attack animals instead hunting them, it's useless.

Canute

What do you think is the different between hunting and attacking ?
Do you want that the mellee hunter sneak behind the animal and use a finishing move and got many mellee xp ?
Yeah, ok compared to range hunting, a mellee hunter mosttime geting attacked back after the first strike.
But at this way you can train up your doctor's too.

At all my playthrough i allways got 1-2 mellee (they need to be brawler) each 5 colonist, and never got problems to reach a skill above 10. Ok skill 20 never but i allways was pleased with their performance.
If you got  tough brawler you got a jackpot.

And what do you think about mining, shouldn't the mining skill when you use a mining laser increase that ranged skill too. Argl damn no mining laser. :-)

LWM

Quote from: ilikerimworld on February 22, 2019, 08:04:01 AM
> --LWM

Why do you keep talking about increasing your stats? It's not about increasing your stats, it's about balancing the game and making the melee skill more useful.

To be honest, I was more replying to others' comments than to the point of the OP.

On the points you've raised, yes, melee is only useful for one thing (I suppose mining is too?).  But for *me*, well, I don't really care much about "balance" in a lot of ways - people with only the melee skill will just be less useful to some players.  Like pyromaniacs; there's no balance to it; it just sucks.  Also, I find that once I get shields, I'd much rather be bashing things with a stick than be getting shot at...

So I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot constructive to add to your conversation; I can just go off on slight tangents ;p

As far as such a mod goes, it would ...probably? require a Harmony patch to plant harvesting.  It wouldn't be too complicated as such things go, but then again, I consider some Transpiler operations "simple," so I recognize "not too complicated" is very relative.

--LWM

ilikerimworld

> And what do you think about mining

Mining allows you to gather crafting material, construction material and build walls (as a byproduct of mining around it) and thus acts as a substitute for construction in some biomes/terrains. It's definitely a mid tier skill, ranging from useful to indispensable.

A tier list would look like this:

Plants (super op) > construction (traps are super op) > cooking (food poisoning = death) > medical ( can't self tend / infection = death) > crafting / mining / intellectual (always useful) > animal / social / artistic (situationally useful later on) > shooting (only useful when hunting is the only source of food) > melee (never useful).

There will be some small variations depending on the biome and terrain used, but that's where RimWorld's balance is is atm. Overall, shooting and melee need a serious buff, but this thread is only about melee.

ilikerimworld

> Like pyromaniacs; there's no balance to it; it just sucks.

Pyromaniac isn't a skill, it's a trait. There are positive traits and negative traits and they both balance each other out since you'll generally get both on the same pawn.

Skills determine how everything is played and how you are going to overcome every situation. The more varied and balanced skills are, the more options you have to overcome a challenge, and the more interesting the game is as a result.

You can use the plants skill to harvest wild berries, or you can use the plants skill to plant rice (plants skill op), or you can use the shooting skill to hunt animals. All those options share the same goal, to get food, but the methods used to accomplish that goal are different and offer different ways to experience the game.