If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoranjoza

Without Hardcore SK mod, just with core folder in mods, game starts ok.
But with this mod and everything installed, game wont start.
I did same on my computer, but on my second pc it wont even start...
Here are pic and output_log

Edit: just to say that i left it in "not responding" phase and somehow after ~20 min it enter into game. then when i went to mods i had to wait ~3min. After adding one mod to list of selected mods, then i went close and then i had to wait more then 5min... After that i created map , but it wont show biomes,temperature etc. After that i exit game, now i cant enter it again... Even if i waited 20min.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Asgardus

I played RimWorld a while back and wanted to play current version 0.12.914 rev777 but it shows only a black screen.
Tried solutions from first post but nothing helped.
Then i tried Version 0.10.785 rev1116 (saved on google drive) which works.

Windows 10

Asgardus

Any tips?
Rimworld task stays at 1-4% CPU Usage and exact 85,8MB ram usage.
After half a hour nothing changed.
Is there a debug mode?

Specs:
i5-4460
R9 390
16Gb

Asgardus

Ok i tried it on a friends pc and it didnt work too.
He download a new .zip from sendowl and it worked.
I tried the last download and it worked too.

I found one difference old files have 75,1 MB (78.809.336 Bytes) the new one has 75,2 MB (78.876.410 Bytes).
The first 5 downloads had all blackscreen for me.

StorymasterQ

Weird. That sounds like a corrupted download. One corrupted download is not unusual, but five?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Sounds like you've got a shoddy internet connection, that sounds very lossy
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Goltec

I am having the same problem last night i did a fresh install of windows and have been re installing the essentials downloaded the game from my last email but just getting a black screen i have tried downloading it again thinking it was a corrupted DL but its exactly the same... anyone got any idea why it would all of a sudden be like that?

Asgardus

Quote from: Coenmcj on February 28, 2016, 11:33:11 PM
Sounds like you've got a shoddy internet connection, that sounds very lossy
Over several days?
My location is Germany. Maybe it is something with the rooting to that Download Server.
A ping test to www.sendowl.com today is ok, 0% packet loss.

@Goltec
Can you post the size of the .zip file?

Goltec

Yeah sure the size of the download each of the 3 times i have tried it has been 75.2mb i know from your post you said you had a smaller one several times then got that size but no change on mine

richnsanders

After running one time and quitting the game, the game does not start, screen stays black and only my mouse cursor is visible.  Deleting the files in the app data folder (windows 7), reloading and rerunning fixes.  The happens repeatedly.  Runs fine once, quit game, won't run, deleted, reload (lather, rinse, repeat....)  April 6th, 2016, version build Alpha13win.  Never had this problem with other builds.

c2theanyon

So, I've tried all above and tried all day to get the new update to work but every time i run it, it doesn't pop up, nothing happens. In my task manager it says its running but there's no window. I'm on 64 bit win 10 OS and have it saves exactly like the "hot how install rimworld" topic says to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ROD

I think we have a bad compiled file. It doesn't run although it appears in the Task manager.
Alpha 13 - Win 10
Reg cleaned - Local cleaned - No Anti Virus running

ROD

Quote from: ROD on April 11, 2016, 03:20:33 AM
I think we have a bad compiled file. It doesn't run although it appears in the Task manager.
Alpha 13 - Win 10
Reg cleaned - Local cleaned - No Anti Virus running

Just got the solution  :o
My AVG was running the first time that I tried to play and it has sent the EXE to the vault. Even after I had a clean start with it not running, the game didn't work.

It was not a bad compiled file. It was a bad user  ;D

CHECK IF THE FILE IS IN YOUR ANTI-VIRUS ALREADY.
give it the right to run.
Good gamming :)

dareddevil7

The game loads up it says loading defs in a horrifically messed up font, then it says initializing interface in an even worse font, and then I get a black screen with only the cursor

EDIT: Ok, I clicked on core under mods, there wasn't any defs, only language, I go into language, I back out of it and defs appear

milon

@Goltec - my RimWorld A13 .zip file is 82.6MB (specifically 86,634,354 bytes) and contains a folder called RimWorld1135Win (the latest build).  You've still got a broken download.  Download from somewhere else.

@richnsanders - sounds like a permissions issue.  I've got Win7 too, never seen this before.  Wipe the LocalLow\Ludeon\ folder, run RimWorld, exit, then go check permissions in Windows Explorer.  Make sure it's not read only.  If it still doesn't work, run it as admin and see if that makes a difference.  Admin rights should only be a temporary fix, FYI, and it just means you've got a permissions issue going on.  Let me know how it goes.

@c2theanyon - How long do you let it run?  It takes longer to load now than it used to.  If it's been more than 5min and still hasn't shown up, then I'd suspect either an antivirus problem (whitelist RimWorld - there's no viruses in it) or else a permissions problem (try running as admin).  Please post if that helps or not.

@dareddevil7 - Weird.  Is it working now, or are your defs still missing?