If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

friedsalami

Downloaded and extracted the game today.  Never before played it on this system.  It loads and I can see the main menu.  I leave everything at default values, choose Create World, then click Generate.  I see "Generating world.." and a few minutes later I alt-tab to find a window titled "Oops the game crashed" and some logs have been created.  I can repeat this every time.  The first post of this thread says to delete old configs and game data but this is the first time I've attempted to run it.  Where can I send these logs?

I've tried in windowed mode, full screen, changed the resolution but still it crashes almost immediately.  I changed the map size to the smallest and then to the largest but still it crashes.

most recent error.log contains:
Unity Player [version: Unity 4.6.3f1_4753d8b6ef2b]

d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module d3d9.dll at 001b:4fe58572.

and most recent output_log.txt contains a bunch of harmless messages then:
========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

(0x4FE58572) (d3d9): (filename not available): Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 + 0x28bc2
(0x4FE64C16) (d3d9): (filename not available): Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 + 0x35266
(0x4FE58904) (d3d9): (filename not available): Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 + 0x28f54
(0x007FFC69) (RimWorld1135Win): (filename not available): ??$Transfer@V?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@AnimationEvent@@QAEXAAV?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@Z + 0xb43c9
(0x008465F7) (RimWorld1135Win): (filename not available): ??$Transfer@V?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@AnimationEvent@@QAEXAAV?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@Z + 0xfad57
(0x008476A2) (RimWorld1135Win): (filename not available): ??$Transfer@V?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@AnimationEvent@@QAEXAAV?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@Z + 0xfbe02
(0x005F01ED) (RimWorld1135Win): (filename not available): ??$Transfer@V?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@Behaviour@@QAEXAAV?$StreamedBinaryRead@$00@@@Z + 0x1026ad
(0x7C80B729) (kernel32): (filename not available): GetModuleFileNameA + 0x1ba

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****

Tynan

"d3d9.dll caused an Access Violation" means your video card driver is crashing. Please consider updating your video card driver.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

friedsalami

I just upgraded to the latest driver but it still crashes.  On the main menu I have no image of a planet, just a black background.  Does it not work in XP maybe?  I have a Quadro FX1000.

Works fine on a newer computer, I should mention.  If it's just that this is an older computer then don't waste your time trying to figure it out, I'll just use a different computer.  I was hoping this was an issue with a known fix but if not that's fine.

Tynan

That card is 13 years old so I'm not surprised it might have an issue.

Unity supports a lot of cards quite well but, well, there's a limit. And I suspect the drivers aren't really updated much either. So you may need to use a newer machine.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fat_Unicorn

I have to manually type the pathway:

C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/

I could not find the folder by clicking.  I literally had to type it in.  For some reason the properties of this folder were set to show hidden.  Once I disabled that, I was able to run the game.

milon

Correct. Windows hides the appdata folder by default. But you should be able to run the game regardless. I'm glad it's working though.

loc978

So I've been playing RimWorld under Linux Mint like a command line illiterate monkey since Alpha 3. I extract it into a folder on my desktop, double-click the RimWorldXXXX.x86_64 file, click "make executable and run", and play.
Alpha 14 is the first time this hasn't worked for me. I tried it in bash, and got myself an error that makes no sense to my semi-trained lazy eyes:
~/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux $ ./RimWorld1234Linux.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux
Found path: /home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
client has 2 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(DVI-I-1): 1280 x 1024
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Aborted

This looks to me like it's complaining about multiple monitors (I only have the one 12 year old SXGA VGA LCD, hooked up to DVI with an adapter)... and trying to initialize a gamepad/joystick that I don't have plugged in. If anyone has time during this hectic launch window... help?

milon

I'm no Linux guru, but try disconnecting one screen and see if that works.  I'm on Windows, and my crappy PC has an overheating issue when I run RimWorld with both screens on (I suspect it's really a Unity issue).  So I wrote a script to turn one off, run RimWorld, and then re-enable the second screen.

SrSalem

Quote from: loc978 on July 15, 2016, 03:26:20 PM
So I've been playing RimWorld under Linux Mint like a command line illiterate monkey since Alpha 3. I extract it into a folder on my desktop, double-click the RimWorldXXXX.x86_64 file, click "make executable and run", and play.
Alpha 14 is the first time this hasn't worked for me. I tried it in bash, and got myself an error that makes no sense to my semi-trained lazy eyes:
~/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux $ ./RimWorld1234Linux.x86_64
Set current directory to /home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux
Found path: /home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/locke/Desktop/Rimworld/RimWorld1234Linux/RimWorld1234Linux_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.4
client has 2 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(DVI-I-1): 1280 x 1024
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Aborted

This looks to me like it's complaining about multiple monitors (I only have the one 12 year old SXGA VGA LCD, hooked up to DVI with an adapter)... and trying to initialize a gamepad/joystick that I don't have plugged in. If anyone has time during this hectic launch window... help?

I have exactly the same problem on my laptop (one screen, no controller).

milon

What's your screen resolution?  What's your System Language?  Sometimes those are factors too.

SrSalem

Resolution: 1366x768
System language: I tried Es-Sp and Eng

milon

There's another several users who can't run it under Linux (posted in Bugs)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21450.0

I don't think I can help any further, but I've sent notice up the chain.  Hang tight!  :)

loc978

Quote from: milon on July 15, 2016, 03:54:13 PM
There's another several users who can't run it under Linux (posted in Bugs)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21450.0

I don't think I can help any further, but I've sent notice up the chain.  Hang tight!  :)

Thanks bundles. Formulating a post for the other thread now.

deboute

@loc978

it's the ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/Rimworld/prefs file that causes the crash.

just remove the line with the "UnityGraphicsQuality" setting from the file and everything will work fine.

alternatively you can backup your ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/Rimworld, delete the Rimworld folder and launch the game , it will generate an empty configuration with a working prefs file that you can put in your original folder but you really have to be allergic to editing a simple text file : )

SrSalem

In my case the directory ~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/Rimworld is empty. I tried to delete and start again the game but still empty.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]