If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassidoo

At the time of the crashes it generally uses less than 1gb ram, I have default map size, only 1 colony with 1 colonist on an ice sheet map with no mobs or anything so very little happening. But regardless, I doubt there is anything I can do with a software issue.. As said by  ison : "Access Violation errors mean that it's a Unity's bug, so we can't do anything else other than hoping that updating Unity will fix it. Thanks for reporting though." in the thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36129.0

Austynrox

Hi, I have tried all the steps I have uninstalled the game I have turned off windows defender. I have done everything I can to try and fix this black screen it looks like its playing but it isn't. It lets me go into steam overlay and it shows my FPS but i am still at a black screen. This isn't the only issue I have had. I have been having a issue with Dying light also. And I don't know what I can do to fix these games. These are my favorite games and I can't play. Ever since July I have been having issues

Soptik

Good morning/afternoon/evening.

I have issues with running RimWorld. I use Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS - fresh install, two days old. Everything is updated, ubuntu updater couldn't find any additional drivers. There is no black screen, something just flickers - and nothing. Terraria works without problems. GPU: `Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 12)`

I tried the local reset, which didn't work. I tried the -force-opengl, which didn't work. Here's output when I run it directly:

```
Set current directory to /home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld
Found path: /home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Preloaded 'libCSteamworks.so'
Preloaded 'libsteam_api.so'
Unable to preload the following plugins:
   ScreenSelector.so
   libCSteamworks.so
   libsteam_api.so
Player data archive not found at `/home/petr/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem
```

I tried to run the two fix files that came with install - it didn't work. I verified file integrity with steam - it didn't work.

I don't know what to do. There are no config files, there are no logs. I dual-boot with Windows 10, where it works flawlessly. It would be great if someone could help me.

I'm on Linux (Arch Linux), and I also can't launch Rimworld anymore since yesterday. I've never had this problem before, played B19 without any problems (even with more than 200 mods active), and I could start 1.0 before without any problems, as well.

What happened is the following: Yesterday I browsed my modlist again to see whether all my mods were already ported to 1.0 from B19, then, for some reason, Steam crashed, and Rimworld followed suit a couple of minutes later (I don't know why, maybe because of Steam DRM?). I then started Steam up again, and all of my previously installed games weren't installed anymore (at least according to Steam, because they were all still there, and 'reinstalling' mostly meant that Steam found the old files again...). I then tried the following:

1. Reinstalling Rimworld, without any cleanup beforehand: Trying to start Rimworld via Steam has no effect, trying to start it directly by using any of the provided scripts or 'RimWorldLinux.86_64' directly gives:

Set current directory to /home/[username]/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld
Found path: /home/[username]/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/RimWorld/RimWorldLinux.x86_64
There is no data folder

2. Doing a clean reinstall, as described in the first post of this topic: The same as above. I even turned off 'Cloud Syncing' and unsubscribed from more than 300 mods. Currently, my Rimworld should be as vanilla as possible, but it still doesn't start up.

Is this some kind of Unity issue? I read somewhere that this might be related to Linux filenames being case sensitive, in contrast to how Windows (mis)handles this. Is it possible that sometime between Rimworld versions, a file with incorrect capitalisation was added, and because Steam is stupid, this change was not reflected correctly on updating and only came to light, when I had to reinstall Rimworld completely?

Sergovan

Hi guys, new Rimworld person here and I just bought the game for my Mac after watching my wife have so much fun on her version in Windows. I bought it and installed it but it wouldn't run. Crashed right away. Not the first time I've had this happen with a new game so I verify the integrity of the game files and its good. Try restart - crash. Restart PC and try again - crash. Check support area - get link to here. Posting here to see if I can get a resolution for this as I've never had a new game be this hard to launch.

Mac Specs:

Version: Yosemity 10.10.5 (14F2511)
Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

If anyone can direct me to how I can get the game to launch and run that would be most appreciated.

*EDIT: So I found the local .exe file and it launched the game there. It's doing it offline so I don't get any steam perks from playing, but it plays now.

camilords1996

Pls kindly take a look at my post regarding this.
I had some issues that may be connected
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=47180.0

Pasziplayer

Hi there!

When I first launched Rimworld (via Steam, laptop, win 10) a crash error message showed up then seconds later a black screen and the game freezed. After I ran an integrity check on steam and restarted the game the crash message showed again and only the cursor changed without black screen but it crashed so much I couldn't even exit with task manager. I tried every suggestion I found in the forum but nothing's changed. :'( Could you please help me? I' attaching the last error logs below.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Pasziplayer,
when did you update your grafic driver the latest time ?
Since the crash is lated to the NVidia 3d driver you should do that.

Pasziplayer

Thank you for the answer. My laptop doesn't let me update or delete the nvidia driver and I can only have it fixed after the Christmas holidays. However, it works fine on my mother's laptop (which she rearly uses), so no worries. :)

ZenopelexLS

Hay Tynan, the Ludeon Studios Folder is entirely gone. Rimworld won't start and I think this might be the problem. I've already tried uninstalling it and reinstalling the game. I even removed all the mods and even removed the files Manually but the game still sends the message: Rimworld by Ludeon Studios has quit unexpectedly. Alternatively, In the report log it says this: Application Specific Information:
validateTextureDimensions:758: failed assertion `MTLTextureDescriptor has width of zero.'

I don't know if either of these are the reason and I don't know how to attach the report log.

Also, Rimworld is an amazing game. It must have been difficult to balance it so well.

Edit: Okay, turns out my mouse is invisible. Does anyone know where the programming is located?

Tailsworth

I have Windows 10 and Steam.

I've tried all the prescribed steps pinned on this topic.  I've also tried the following:https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/
and also
https://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/1489992713701469592/
The game starts, but as soon as it says "InitializingInterface" the screen goes totally black and does not recover.
I have also tried launching the game as administrator and installing on a different hard drive (creating a new Steam library)
I have attached my output_log.txt but I could not find any error.log.

My specs are:
Computer Information:
    Manufacturer:  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Model:  B85M-HD3
    Form Factor: Desktop
    Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    CPU Brand:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU Family:  0x6
    CPU Model:  0x3c
    CPU Stepping:  0x3
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  3392 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    4 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported
    AES:  Supported
    AVX:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Unsupported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    DirectX Driver Name:  nvldumd.dll
    Driver Version:  25.21.14.1735
    DirectX Driver Version:  25.21.14.1735
    Driver Date: 12 11 2018
    OpenGL Version: 4.6
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0x1c03
    Revision:  0xa1
    Number of Monitors:  2
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  2
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 3600 x 1087
    Primary Display Size: 18.74" x 10.55" (21.50" diag)
                                            47.6cm x 26.8cm (54.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 6143 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definiti

Memory:
    RAM:  16328 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    UI Language:  English
    Media Type:  DVD
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  16411062 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  6194144 Mb
    OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
    Game Controller: None detected
    VR Headset: Oculus Rift detected

UPDATE:
I tried installing a clean copy of the game from a zip file (I re-purchased the game from the website) and I seem to get the same errors.  See output_log_new.txt also.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

QuoteException from asynchronous event: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "F:\Games\RimWorld\Mods\Core\Languages\Finnish\FriendlyName.txt" is denied.

I think there is a problem with your translations.
Since you can't change the language ingame you need to edit or delete the prefs.xml
AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config/Prefs.xml

Try if the game starts with english.

Tailsworth

Quoteyou need to edit or delete the prefs.xml
AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config/Prefs.xml

I just double-checked and I don't have an AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config/Prefs.xml file.

I did follow the pinned solution also, which includes

Quote1. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows          C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread

I also tried removing the whole C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios folder and the problem persists.

As an added troubleshooting step, I made sure that my graphics driver was the most current version and uninstalled and reinstalled it.

I also noticed that besides the "problem with [my] translations", I'm getting the following error repeatedly:

Could not execute post-long-event action. Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.GraphicData.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GraphicData.get_Graphic () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.ThingDef.<PostLoad>m__3 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LongEventHandler.ExecuteToExecuteWhenFinished () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

That lead me to this post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/2828702372999297609/
however none of that helped because I'm not running any mods and I did a completely clean install.

Thank you again for any help.

k2ymg

The exception indicate the program (RimWorld or you) haven't (read) access permission to the file. Can you open FriendlyName.txt with any text editor like Notepad? I'm not sure Windows security system, but maybe the file (or its parent folders, or root drive) haven't allow normal users. Or someone locks those. Some people says, if the drive bring from other PC like as USB storage, or the OS was upgraded, it would be break permission occasionally.

Tailsworth

I just wanted to let you know what I found out...
It looks like IOBit Anti-Malware was blocking something, and turning the protection off temporarily didn't help (and even adding an exception for FriendlyName.txt didn't help).  So I had to completely uninstall IOBit Anti-Malware and THEN do a clean install of Rimworld, now Rimworld seems to work fine.  Reinstalling IOBit Anti-Malware after Rimworld doesn't seem to affect it, it still works.
So I don't know what the deal was exactly, it's a really strange problem.

Thank everyone for their help.