If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Interesting. Sounds like a Steam issue. A clean reinstall "should" have fixed that.

Are you running any mods? Did you run mods before the game broke?

That's a crazy log file. It looks like the game can't find any of its normal Thing definitions (or something like that). I notice it's using DX9. Was this when you were trying to force DX9? What OS are you running?

Slashdiablo

Quote from: milon on July 26, 2017, 09:40:50 AM
Interesting. Sounds like a Steam issue. A clean reinstall "should" have fixed that.

Are you running any mods? Did you run mods before the game broke?

That's a crazy log file. It looks like the game can't find any of its normal Thing definitions (or something like that). I notice it's using DX9. Was this when you were trying to force DX9? What OS are you running?

Yeah I accidentally gave you the log from my dx9 force attempt. I could get you the regular one when I'm home. That's what I'm thinking too, some steam issue. I've had all my mods unsubscribed and deleted since my first restart. I'm running Windows 7. I haven't played the game in a couple years, saw all the new stuff and was pumped to give it another go!

milon

Try a Steam clean install this way:
1. Turn off Steam Sync for RimWorld
2. Uninstall RimWorld
3. Manually go into your Steamapps\ folder and make sure the RimWorld folder is deleted
4. Restart your computer
5. Install RimWorld and cross your fingers

I can't find the exact "clean install" steps right now, so this may be very similar, but I think it's different enough that it's worth a shot.

Don't worry about the log file unless the above doesn't work.

Slashdiablo

Quote from: milon on July 26, 2017, 12:08:33 PM
Try a Steam clean install this way:
1. Turn off Steam Sync for RimWorld
2. Uninstall RimWorld
3. Manually go into your Steamapps\ folder and make sure the RimWorld folder is deleted
4. Restart your computer
5. Install RimWorld and cross your fingers

I can't find the exact "clean install" steps right now, so this may be very similar, but I think it's different enough that it's worth a shot.

Don't worry about the log file unless the above doesn't work.

Unfortunately I've tried the 'steam clean reinstall' steps multiple times, even installing on a different drive. I'll get you the regular output log without dx9 forced.

/e Also, I do have this problem whether steam is open or not.

Slashdiablo

Here's my regular output log! I noticed it still says d3d9. My DXDIAG say I've got D11 installed though.

/e I just saw that you weren't asking me to clean install again, but to install in your specific way. I will most certainly try those steps exactly. Be back with the update soon.

/e2 I followed the steps you provided, and am still faced with the black screen issue after initilization. I've attached this log

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Slashdiablo

Aha! I've found something. Upon clean steam reinstalling the 16a steam beta version I got past the black screen, and was shown a new error. But I could see the art still. It might also explain the v17 black screen issue.

When I first started looking for resolutions to this problem people recomended the uninstal + delete steamapp files + delete appdata files. I could never find the appdata files and didnt think anything of it. But maybe I'm missing them, or the game can't access them. Check out the screenshot I took of the ingame error. I've linked this steam 16 beta attempts output log too. It looks much nicer!

/e I've tried running steam, and rimworld in adminstrator but still get the same error.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

milon

Oh, good find!

AppData is a hidden folder, so it's not easy to find. The easiest way is to open File Explorer and type the following into the address bar:
%AppData%

When you hit enter, you'll be inside the hidden folder. You'll need to follow down a branch or two to find Ludeon (I forget if it's in Local Low or Roaming) and you can wipe it from there.

About the DirectX thing - if you've got higher than 9, but RimWorld only uses DX9, then you may have an old graphics driver. It's used as a fallback in case a newer version can't initialize.

Slashdiablo

I checked and I do have the most current recommended drivers from my gpu. Thats how I've previously checked appdata info, but when I do that I can't find any pertaining to Ludeon or Rimworld. It's not in Roaming with my other games, nor is it in 'LocalLow' the only folder in there is 'Microsoft' and within that is nonsense.

Also, my concern here is that the game needs to access this folder to save something, and can't. Isn't that what the screenshot error says? Maybe the permissions are messed up on my computer?

nccvoyager

The %APPDATA% path variable usually leads directly to:
%USERPROFILE%/AppData\roaming
Whereas the Ludeon Studios folder (on my computer at least) is lcoated in:
%USERPROFILE%/AppData\LocalLow

(The AppData variable tends to change behaviour from OS to OS. Different locations in XP, Vista/7, and 10 IIRC.)

milon

Thanks nccvoyager! I was at work when I posted that and couldn't confirm it.

Slashdiablo, about the screenshot - sorry I didn't notice that before. It *is* showing the correct path and stating that access to it it's denied.  That may be a permissions issue, or else another process is using the file. Any idea if another program was using it? Do you know how to investigate & correct permissions?

Slashdiablo

Quote from: milon on July 27, 2017, 06:54:51 AM
Thanks nccvoyager! I was at work when I posted that and couldn't confirm it.

Slashdiablo, about the screenshot - sorry I didn't notice that before. It *is* showing the correct path and stating that access to it it's denied.  That may be a permissions issue, or else another process is using the file. Any idea if another program was using it? Do you know how to investigate & correct permissions?

I unfortunately don't know how to investiage and correct permisions. I had all my other programs turned off as well. I understand where the Ludeon file should be found in %appdata% then clicking back to locallow.

The other problem for me is, my locallow folder literally has nothing in it other than something labled 'microsoft' which has many unhelpful files in it. I have all the file types unhidden, theres just nothing about rimworld or any other game there! Am I being denied access? I am the only user on my computer. I'm NOT looking under %appdata% roaming, I am looking under %appdata% local low and NOTHING is there! Can I get whats needed and place it there?

/e when using the path variable %USERPROFILE%/AppData\LocalLow it also brings me to the same locallow folder with only one folder in it labled 'microsoft'.
/e2 I also tried to path to the windows explorer file %USERPROFILE%/AppData\LocalLow\LudeonStudios but my computer gave me an error saying that file didn't exist. Is it possible the access denied error is the being triggered because the file simply doesn't exist?

nccvoyager

Just a note that the folder is "Ludeon Studios" and not "LudeonStudios" as per your post.

For the moment, is the account you are using the "Administrator" account, an "administrator" account, or a "user" account?
Additionally, if you are using a "user" account, do you have access to an "administrator" account?

(It has been a while admittedly, but IIRC, the "Administrator" account is most easily acquired as it is the default account created in most Windows iterations from Win98 through 7. If you do not choose to "create an account" during the OS setup, then you would usually automatically be logged into the "Administrator" account. Slightly different default permissions, though still not as powerful as the system or technician accounts which are usually completely inaccessible.)

Slashdiablo

Quote from: nccvoyager on July 27, 2017, 12:49:12 PM
Just a note that the folder is "Ludeon Studios" and not "LudeonStudios" as per your post.

For the moment, is the account you are using the "Administrator" account, an "administrator" account, or a "user" account?
Additionally, if you are using a "user" account, do you have access to an "administrator" account?

(It has been a while admittedly, but IIRC, the "Administrator" account is most easily acquired as it is the default account created in most Windows iterations from Win98 through 7. If you do not choose to "create an account" during the OS setup, then you would usually automatically be logged into the "Administrator" account. Slightly different default permissions, though still not as powerful as the system or technician accounts which are usually completely inaccessible.)

When I path to %USERPROFILE%/AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios with the space it takes me to an empty folder with that path name. Not sure what I could do from there, why its empty, or why I couldn't see it otherwise.

When looking at user accounts in the control panel, my account is labled as 'administrator'. I'm not sure if it's 'The Administrator', but it is the only account on my computer other than guest which is turned off.

/e Is there a way someone here could send me the ludeon studious folder? Or are you guys thinking I have it and just can't access it?

nccvoyager

Unfortunately, the "Ludeon Studios" folder, as well as the subfolders and files within, are need to be accessible for read/write by RimWorld in order for RimWorld to function properly, so simply creating the files or using a set from another computer may not work properly or at all.

The fact that manually navigating there worked and didn't give you an error around "windows cannot find the path specified" means that the folder exists, though you could not see it or the files within.
Normally, the subfolders of the "AppData" folder are not hidden unless some changes have been made to the folder structure, but...

Just to make sure, in your "Folder Options" "View" tab, "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" is selected, yes?
(You can access the "Folder Options" prompt by typing "Folder Options" into the "Search" bar in the start menu in Windows Vista and newer.)

I'm hoping that the folders are actually there and accessible, and that something else is the problem.
Mainly because beyond this, we start getting into more complex, and terrifying, territory regarding permissions, file ownership, and corrupt directory lists.
(That last one is extremely unlikely, admittedly.)

Slashdiablo

Huh, alright thanks for this help nccvoyager, hopefuly we are getting somewhere! When I go to the properties for the Ludeon Studios folder, I can uncheck hidden. This showed me the folder and its contents. I also have set up the "show hidden files" option you described.

/e MWAHAHAHAHHAHA I done did it! The error is gone. I had to uncheck the "read only" option which was applied to the ludeon studios folder. Now the game can access and write to it!

SO i've got the 'beta version 16a' running with full functionality on steam. I will now uninstall v16, and attempt to reinstall the generic version of rimworld on steam (v17). I'll update here if it works!

/E2 BOOM BABY IT WORKKSSSSS v17 UP N' RUNNIN!

/e3 If you, or anyone you run into recieves the black screen immedietly after an 'initilization' window, and you've tried everything else, try this; Go into the folder %appdata%/LocalLow\Ludeon Studios and uncheck the 'read only' box. This fixed the issue for me.