If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nccvoyager

Well, glad that it worked.
Strange that the folder was set as read-only, but at least you figured that out.
Enjoy the digital suffering! :D

Shakur86

Cant get the Game running (tried every step) Playing on steam.
The game is started but i cant see any menu or something. Just the Music from the menu...

Anyone could help?

Calahan

@ Shakur86 - Can you please confirm that you have tried performing a clean reinstall as per the step by step instructions in the OP of this thread.

If the game is still giving you a black screen then, if using Windows, please can you check that the following folder is not marked to read only (if it is then please uncheck the "Read-only" option under the right-click folder properties menu).

c:\users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios

Please note that the AppData folder is usually hidden so you will need to enable the option to view hidden items / hidden files and folders.

If none of the above works then please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0 . Along with stating what Operating System you are using, as well as confirming that your O/S and graphic drivers are fully up-to-date.

Shakur86

Quote from: Calahan on September 30, 2017, 08:38:23 AM
@ Shakur86 - Can you please confirm that you have tried performing a clean reinstall as per the step by step instructions in the OP of this thread.

If the game is still giving you a black screen then, if using Windows, please can you check that the following folder is not marked to read only (if it is then please uncheck the "Read-only" option under the right-click folder properties menu).

c:\users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios

Please note that the AppData folder is usually hidden so you will need to enable the option to view hidden items / hidden files and folders.

If none of the above works then please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0 . Along with stating what Operating System you are using, as well as confirming that your O/S and graphic drivers are fully up-to-date.

Tried everthing i found in the forum yet.
Using Win7 64Bit. Also tried the non steam version (Didnt work)
Checked my logfile and saw that this is spamming:

HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore
HandleD3DDeviceLost
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore
HandleD3DDeviceLost

Anyone got any clue what to do?

Edit: I also deleted all Mods and the mod config file.
Tried to install on another harddrive (Same error)
Graphics are up to date

Calahan

@ Shakur86 - ...please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
Your log file contains more info than just the extract you posted.

Shakur86

Quote from: Calahan on September 30, 2017, 09:00:50 AM
@ Shakur86 - ...please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
Your log file contains more info than just the extract you posted.

There is the full Log

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Thank you for the log file. A few more questions:

1 - Are you using a laptop or desktop computer? (I assume desktop based on your GPU, but asking for confirmation just to make sure)

2 - Are you playing the game in fullscreen or windowed mode?

2a - If fullscreen, do you use alt-tab to switch between active windows, and/or use the Windows key to switch to the desktop?

2b - If fullscreen, try starting the game in windowed mode. (you can force it to run in a borderless window by adding a command line switch, -popupwindow . So edit/create the desktop shortcut and add -popupwindow to the end of the target address so that it ends ... RimWorld1557Win.exe -popupwindow. I think you can add command line switches directly through Steam, details here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26517.msg268395#msg268395)

2c - Try forcing the game to run in exclusive fullscreen by adding a -window-mode exclusive switch. (so same as above but replace -popupwindow with -window-mode exclusive). More details and links here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34607.0

3 - Has the current version (A17b) worked for you at all? Or was it working before and is only now giving you a black screen? (and if A17b has never worked for you, has any previous version worked for you? And if so which one?).

4 - Can you please check that the Nvidia Share option is not enabled (as this has been known to cause errors with RimWorld). Details on how to check/disable it are as follows:(these steps are taken from the following Steam post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/221380/discussions/2/348292957936027015/#c348293161792228704 )

1 - Open Geforce Experience app
2 - Click on Settings icon on the top right
3 - Disable the share setting

5 - Can you please check your power management settings for both your computer and GPU, and check that everything is set to maximum power or maximum performance.

6 - Are you using more than one monitor?

Basically, this HandleD3DDeviceLost log error is a problem with Unity, which based on a Google search, seems to have existed since ~2012. It can apparently be triggered by a number of things, such as the game window losing focus (ie. alt-tabbing), or power management settings placing the GPU on standby. Two previous users have reported it causing a black screen issue before, but unfortunately one of them was never able to solve this problem, while the other never reported back with a final update as to whether they solved this problem or not (and if so, how).
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26517.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30118.0

Other options include trying other various switches to force the game to run in certain ways, such as -force-d3d11 and -force-opengl . Also try updating your DirectX (Windows7 64bit should be DirectX11 IIRC). There is a lot of info and various possible solution given in the first inked thread just above.

It might also be worth you trying an older graphics driver as sometimes this error can (for whatever reason) be triggered by a newer one. Especially try this if A17b was working for you previously.

Shakur86

Quote from: Calahan on September 30, 2017, 09:53:54 AM
Thank you for the log file. A few more questions:

1 - Are you using a laptop or desktop computer? (I assume desktop based on your GPU, but asking for confirmation just to make sure)

2 - Are you playing the game in fullscreen or windowed mode?

2a - If fullscreen, do you use alt-tab to switch between active windows, and/or use the Windows key to switch to the desktop?

2b - If fullscreen, try starting the game in windowed mode. (you can force it to run in a borderless window by adding a command line switch, -popupwindow . So edit/create the desktop shortcut and add -popupwindow to the end of the target address so that it ends ... RimWorld1557Win.exe -popupwindow. I think you can add command line switches directly through Steam, details here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26517.msg268395#msg268395)

2c - Try forcing the game to run in exclusive fullscreen by adding a -window-mode exclusive switch. (so same as above but replace -popupwindow with -window-mode exclusive). More details and links here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34607.0

3 - Has the current version (A17b) worked for you at all? Or was it working before and is only now giving you a black screen? (and if A17b has never worked for you, has any previous version worked for you? And if so which one?).

4 - Can you please check that the Nvidia Share option is not enabled (as this has been known to cause errors with RimWorld). Details on how to check/disable it are as follows:(these steps are taken from the following Steam post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/221380/discussions/2/348292957936027015/#c348293161792228704 )

1 - Open Geforce Experience app
2 - Click on Settings icon on the top right
3 - Disable the share setting

5 - Can you please check your power management settings for both your computer and GPU, and check that everything is set to maximum power or maximum performance.

6 - Are you using more than one monitor?

Basically, this HandleD3DDeviceLost log error is a problem with Unity, which based on a Google search, seems to have existed since ~2012. It can apparently be triggered by a number of things, such as the game window losing focus (ie. alt-tabbing), or power management settings placing the GPU on standby. Two previous users have reported it causing a black screen issue before, but unfortunately one of them was never able to solve this problem, while the other never reported back with a final update as to whether they solved this problem or not (and if so, how).
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26517.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30118.0

Other options include trying other various switches to force the game to run in certain ways, such as -force-d3d11 and -force-opengl . Also try updating your DirectX (Windows7 64bit should be DirectX11 IIRC). There is a lot of info and various possible solution given in the first inked thread just above.

It might also be worth you trying an older graphics driver as sometimes this error can (for whatever reason) be triggered by a newer one. Especially try this if A17b was working for you previously.

1. Im playing on a desktop Computer.
2. Tried Fullscreen and Windowed
3. I played the game on ver 16 i guess
4. Its disabled cause it lowers FPS in some other games.
5. Everything is to Maximum Power
6. Im playing just at one Monitor

Im trying the launch options now.

Edit1: With "-force-opengl" Im getting a Pink Window
Edit2: Same with "-force-d3d11"
Edit3: No difference between fullscreen or windowed

Edit4: I got it to work again! Its so simple...
         Open NVIDIA control panel, go to 3D Settings and hit  "Let the 3D-Application decide"
         Should work then again!

Calahan

@ Shakur86 - Great to hear you got the game working again. Given that the game worked for you before (with A16) then it was likely going to be something like a driver, hardware, or a setting change that had occurred since then that was preventing it working this time.

And it's really appreciated that took the time to (edit your) post again with an update, and to share how you resolved this issue. I can't recall seeing anything regarding a "HandleD3DDeviceLost" issue being resolved this way before, but I'll certainly make a note of it for the future! So thanks in advance for those users you might be helping further down the road.

Rei-No

I found that after I got to the last page of mods on steam, then go to the libarary and then back to workshop i still had a bunch of mods subscriged. So once is not enough I infact had to repeat this a number of times before steam  just said no more mods..  in fact steam queued me in that they were still there, when I did a clean download  of Rimworld it also did a workshop download and put back many of the ones I just unsub'd too..  so be sure to check workshop once you redown load the game, dont' just blindly restart it!

Kiame

Just ran into this problem. I was developing a new mod and I had in my About folder an empty PublishedFileId.txt - ie the file was there but no text in it. (that file is used to tag a steam game mod)

As soon as the game would open and start to load the screen would go black. Deleting the txt file solved the issue.

Silvanti

I have tried all the steps listed above and when I try to launch RimWorld Beta 18 from steam the icon for RimWorld shows on my task bar but the game does not appear.  If I hover over the icon, the thumbnail shows is a black thin line.  It was working yesterday.  I had been putting off the most recent Windows 10 update and finally decided to install it this morning.  I have attached the output log, if that will help anyone try to figure out why I am not able to load the game.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

mpango

Hello,

I keep getting a black screen where I can hear the sounds of the game, but the game essentially freezes and I have to shut down my computer and restart it. It seems to do this randomly as sometimes I've played for hours at a time vs. a minute or a couple seconds. Below is my output log. I've tried all the initial steps for windows (running windows 10 64 bit) listed at the beginning of the thread, same issue. Can anyone help?

OUTPUT LOG:
Initialize engine version: 5.6.3p1 (9c92e827232b)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 21.21.13.4201]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     871 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1 BC4=1 BC5=1
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b11.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.373 seconds
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1200 59Hz; virtual: 1920x1200 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.222871 ms
RimWorld 0.18.1722 rev1198

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Platform assembly: E:\Games\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 1.666287 ms

Unloading 39 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 7737.
Total: 27.115795 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.331759 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.463392 ms MarkObjects: 26.260355 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.059573 ms)

Loading game from file Mer with mods Core

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 14823.
Total: 126.802696 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.855796 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.937487 ms MarkObjects: 124.962326 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.046374 ms)

Calahan

Did you update Windows recently? As a bunch of people have been having black screen issues after the recent Windows 10 update.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37343.msg383046#msg383046
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37385.0

IsaacTheKhajiit

I just got the windows update and I am having the same problem, but I can't figure out how to fix it.  I don't have the Intel Graphics Control Panel that these threads mention, or if I do I can't figure out how to open it.