If the game won't start properly

Started by Tynan, July 16, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagelislol4

Hi. My name is Vagelis, I just bought RimWorld and it won't open. Something about Unity pops up. What do I do?

I was told to add some more information. And here it is:

1. What the circumstances were: I buyed the game from Steam. Downloaded and tried to open it but it never opened. My OS I think is 64-bit of Windows 10 Processor x64. And here is my system's specs I think: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz RAM 3,00 GB.

2. What happened: Every time I tried to open the game instead of it running a message about Unity came up, loaded and closed immediately after loading.

3. What you expected to happen: I expected for the game to start. I just downloaded it.

I was told to get the logfire. I did copy and paste what you told me to, but it turns out I don't have a logfire at all. I only have the following folders: Config, Saves (completely empty), Scenarios (completely empty), Player (15KB), Player-prev (15KB), steam-autocloud.vdf (1KB).

Vagelislol4

I was told to get the logfire. I did copy and paste what you told me to, but it turns out I don't have a logfire at all. I only have the following folders: Config, Saves (completely empty), Scenarios (completely empty), Player (15KB), Player-prev (15KB), steam-autocloud.vdf (1KB).

Canute

Quote from: Vagelislol4 on June 27, 2021, 11:41:12 AM

To attach a file to your answer, you need to use Reply button first, then you see file attachment options.

Vagelislol4

Hello. This is the player. I really hope that helps.

Ark

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz RAM 3,00 GB.
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (ID=0x116)

You don't meet the minimum requirements to run RimWorld. You have HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics processor, RimWorld barely runs on HD Graphics 4000. Yours is one generation too old. It has reached end-of-life. The RAM is another point -- there isn't enough of it.
It's propably a 10-year old budget laptop. You need a new(er) computer for RimWorld. If you want a laptop, I suggest that you look into new-ish used T-series ThinkPads.

Vagelislol4

Ok ty for your your time good people. Sorry for being such a noob on pc stuff. Bye bye.

RadioMan

Hello,

My game won't start either, luckily I know the problem as I got the exact same problem with airport ceo, another game that uses the unity engine.  Unfortunately the latest Unity client makes my games crash and this is super annoying, it probably has to do with 2 monitors where my gaming monitor (4K) is not my primary monitor, for reasons I can't adjust this, because I will run into more hardware problems if I do.
Now with this I am not able to run the game anymore since yesterdays update, I feel lucky I didn't purchase the new dlc, but I feel sad that I only got the game for about a month now and now that it's updated I am not able to run it anymore, well I can if I go to the beta's tab and select the latest 1.12 version, but that probably won't run the latest dlc either.
Anyways, I complained about this to unity already and I hope they fix this soon, I'm just hoping that you would get this fix in the game, as I won't notice if it's fixed or not as I can't upgrade unity myself.

Canute

RadioMan,
yes you need to use 1.3 for the latest DLC.
Many people reported back that the remove of the windows registry entries (remover at the 1. posting of this topic) helped but i am unsure if that help with the 2.monitor problem (someone else reported too).

RadioMan

Thanks Canute,
But I doubt that my issue will get solved with removing the registry entries, as the older version still works fine.  I don't think I should touch this.  Because I already had this problem in another game, exactly the same problem that is, I almost know 100% sure it's a problem with the new unity update, unless I'm told here, that the unity version didn't get updated with the last update.

Canute

Since it is a suggested thing by the main developer of this game (Tynan) i think you should try it out.
Since RW is a portable game (you can put it on a USB stick and play it from any other mashine) i don't think the registry are that important or get recreated with a RW start.
And like i allready said, many allready used it with success, but i don't know if they used a 2.monitor or not.

You know the DRM version of that game comes with a zip-file and don't even use an installer, that's why i think the regestry entries get created with each start like when you don't have config files.

RadioMan

Yes, well it is going just as expected as I have the exact same in another game, like I said.
After deleting those registry settings I can run the game, need to set it up again so it will run on my gaming monitor in the correct resolution and settings.  After I press quit to OS and restart the game, it crashes again.  I agree I can run the game this way, but it's a workaround, not the solution, because I need to do this every single time I start the game.

By the way, congrats on 10000 posts.

Canute

Ok, but i don't think the developer can made a quick solution for it and prolly need to update the unity engine again which mean's you need to wait for an update.

But could you please made a new posting at the Bug section.
Describe the problem, your hardware maybe dxdiag.txt and the player.log after a "crash". When it is a real crash the error.log/txt too from the crash folder but i just think Rimworld just stoped working and didn't crash.

And include what you have done, like the temp. fix with the regestry remover.

Alternativ, you can visit the developer Discrod and describe your problem there, maybe you will get a faster responce.
https://discord.gg/FYBsdNX

RadioMan

I got a quick fix for now, same with airport ceo, that I can live with..... that reg file or better said deleting the key in the registry gave me an idea, starting the game on my 1080p monitor in 1080p change it to windowed mode and move it to the 4K monitor.  Here I can press that square on the upper right so the game comes up in somewhat fullscreen, after a restart I only need to move it to the 4K monitor again and press that rectangle.
I don't want to make it run in fullscreen as it would crash again the next time I want to play the game.  But maximize the windowed mode is something I can live with now.
And once again, I don't think it's fair to make a bug report about this, as the problem is not caused by the game, but by the 3rd party engine and it's up to them to come up with a solution, as I don't want that all my unity games will stop working after they get updated to the current unity version

Kargle18446

Hi new to the forum so sorry if I format this incorrectly. I'm having a problem since the 1.3/ideology update where my game loads fine without any mods loaded but once I add some it just starts crashing on the loading screen. I've tried the first two solutions already and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game with no improvements. Just to clarify this is the same mod list I've been using in 1.2 without any problem (smaller list actually considering the mods that aren't 1.3 compatible yet). Anyone have any other suggestions.

Canute

Does i understood it right ?
Rimworld 1.3 + Ideology start and works fine.
Adding Mods, don't work anymore.
Sorry, but then the fixed you mention can't work because they are only for the plain Rimworld can't start isue.

Only use mods that are made for 1.3 looks like 1.2 mods mosttimes don't work at 1.3
Don't activate all mod's at once then you notice early when a mod made problems.
But when a mod let RW crash, you should contact the mod author.