Weird camera movement without game mode Windows 10 1809

Started by Snowy86, February 16, 2019, 12:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowy86

Hi! First of all, english is not my language, but ill try to do my best here.

I have two systems, one old laptop and a desktop bough in last july. Laptop has windows 7, and low spec (i7 3610 and 650m gt) but Rimworld works flawless, only take fps drops in late game.

Desktop specs are i5 8400 and Nvidia 1060. Of course the game works better there, except the camera movement. I dont know if i can call it stutter, because fps counter never drops, but the movement is a bit choppy, not as smooth like laptop.
And now the most weird thing. If I turn on game mode from Settings/gaming, camera movement/scroll is perfect again and run smooth as a silk.

Why is this happening? I dont want to depends of this Windows feature, and I try to look for a fix. I tried cpu priority, affinity, change gpu power manager and didnt work. Only game mode do the job.

Thanks!!

Canute

Hi,
when Rimworld basicly run's "better" on the old laptop then the modern desktop you can exclude the hardware. So "cpu priority, affinity, change gpu power manager " wouldn't affect this at all.
So it is more a question about driver and other other background apps/services you run.

Snowy86

Drivers are up to date. The game is not running bad, I mean, is only that choppy camera movement. If i dont move it, the game runs fine.

About apps, and with the fact that game mode fix it, Ill try to investigate it. Only running in the background Logitech gaming software for mouse and asus gpu tweak.

Other games run fine, only Rimworld has this problem. What exactly game mode do? Because if it turn on fix the problem, I can try to replicate the effect.

Snowy86

I reinstalled all drivers again, closed apps...etc, nothing worked. Only Game mode fix it. Only thing left will be Bios update, but I dont want to do it if not is really needed. Some tips? Im starting to hate Windows 10.

Edit: Console debug is not showing errors.

Snowy86

Ok, I fixed it. Game mode prevents cpu to lower clocks, like High Performance plan in energy settings. I changed Balance power plan to high perfomance, and works like a charm.

Canute

Glad you solved it.
But it was nothing we could help you from our side.
I never thought at the energy settings.