[1.0] Trait Transfer Mechanites

Started by TolSatha, February 17, 2019, 06:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TolSatha

Trait Transfer Mechanites
This mod adds new craftable mechanites that can modify the traits of your colonists.

Trait Wiping Mechanites
Single Use. Removes one random trait from the host.
Craftable at the Fabrication Bench for 10 Luciferium and 1 Advanced Component. Needs 10+ crafting.
Causes a Confusion debuff for 12 to 24 ingame hours (0.7 Consciousness)

Trait Scanning Mechanites
Single Use. Picks one random trait from the host and creates one Trait Injector Mechanites for that trait. Kills the host.
Craftable at the Fabrication Bench for 10 Luciferium and 1 Advanced Component. Needs 10+ crafting.

Trait Injector Mechanites
Single Use. Applies a new trait to the host.
Not Craftable. Created by Trait Scanning Mechanites upon use.
Causes a Confusion debuff for 12 to 24 ingame hours (0.7 Consciousness)

Download:

Wait, so how does this work again?

Let's say you have a colonist with one or more undesirable traits.
If you have all the prerequisites listed above, you can craft a couple Trait Wiping Mechanites and use / administer them to your colonist.
Each use will remove one randomly selected trait. These can also be administered to prisoners or unconscious colonists.

But if your goal is creating God-like machines of productivity, simply removing negative traits isn't enough. We can take things further.
If you happen to have a prisoner with a useful trait, you can craft Trait Scanning Mechanites and administer them to the prisoner.
These will pick one random trait from the prisoner (cross your fingers), and create Trait Injector Mechanites for that trait, killing the prisoner in the process.
Trait Injector Mechanites can now be used on one of your colonists to grant them the extracted trait.

Known Issues
None at the moment. Please report any issues you find.

FAQ

Q: Can this be safely added mid-playthrough?
A: Yes.

Q: Will this work with non-human colonists added by other mods (aliens, androids..)?
A: No, only humans at the moment. I will add support for other species in a future update.

Q: Will this work with new traits added by mods?
A: It should, tho in all honesty I haven't tested it. If you use any other trait mods, please post the results here.

Q: Isn't this overpowered?
A: I guess that's a matter of opinion but I think it's fairly well balanced, for several reasons:

1.The crafting recipes require mid/late game items, a fabrication bench, and a colonist with 10+ crafting skill.
2.In order to get an injector for a useful trait, you first need to capture someone with that trait.
3.Even when you capture the right person, you have a ~1/3 chance of getting the right trait (as the trait is selected randomly)
In summary, you need to be lucky enough to have a raider with a desired trait attack, lucky enough to have him survive, and then lucky again to get the right trait when administering the scanning mechanites.
All this should mean that even in late game you probably won't have some Industrious/Psychopatch/Too Smart combo on half of your colonists.

Q: Why is my colonist confused? How long will this last??
A: They've just had their brain restructured. Give them a day and they'll come to their senses.

Change Log:

First Upload

Added custom art for injectors.
Fixed a bug where a Trait Injector for a trait with multiple variants (neurotic, very neurotic..) would have the wrong variant after the game is saved and loaded.

All content contained in this mod is licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Licence (CC BY-NC 4.0)

Kirby23590

Hmmmm, Fascinating...

I can't wait to try this out...

Just one question,
Do they appear in the hands of Merchants for sale, if i can't or don't want buy lucifierium or just want to get a Trait Injector from the Merchant selling it that it comes with the trait i want?

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

TolSatha

Quote from: Kirby23590 on February 18, 2019, 09:55:25 PM
Do they appear in the hands of Merchants for sale, if i can't or don't want buy lucifierium or just want to get a Trait Injector from the Merchant selling it that it comes with the trait i want?

Yes, they do. Wiping Mechanites, Scanning Mechanites, as well as Injector Mechanites for various traits (modded and vanilla) all appear on merchants (exotic merchants to be specific).
Scanning and Injector go for roughly 1500, while Wiping are cheaper at ~750. I'm not sure about how balanced these prices are, so I'd be happy to hear input on that.
All 3 can also appear as quest rewards.

AileTheAlien

Is there any limit on how many traits can be given to someone with these? If not, I can totally see myself farming slaves, until all of my colonists have full bionic bodies, plus every positive trait in the game... :D

EggLord

Cool,now i can make the perfect carbon-based lifeforms in rimworld,and it's all thanks to this very single mod.

Canute

Quote from: EggLord on February 19, 2019, 01:25:28 PM
Cool,now i can make the perfect carbon-based lifeforms in rimworld,and it's all thanks to this very single mod.
They can't be perfect, because of their moral indeficent ! :-)
Even when you buy the mechanites, someone needed to die to made them (so far i know).

notfood

Do you plan to upload it on the steam workshop in the future?

TolSatha

Quote from: AileTheAlien on February 19, 2019, 12:18:13 PM
Is there any limit on how many traits can be given to someone with these?

Well.. No. Not at the moment. Which I guess is kinda broken.
Think I should add one?

Quote from: Canute on February 19, 2019, 01:46:30 PM
Even when you buy the mechanites, someone needed to die to made them (so far i know).

Yup, that's how it works. Tho I've been thinking that maybe instead of killing them, it'd be better if the mechanites left the person in an unconsciouss, "Braindead" state, with all their traits wiped so you can't use scanning mechanites on them again.
That way you'd still get to harvest some organs from your prisoners before they gracelessly expire!

Canute

Quote from: TolSatha on February 20, 2019, 03:59:23 AM
Quote from: Canute on February 19, 2019, 01:46:30 PM

Yup, that's how it works. Tho I've been thinking that maybe instead of killing them, it'd be better if the mechanites left the person in an unconsciouss, "Braindead" state, with all their traits wiped so you can't use scanning mechanites on them again.
That way you'd still get to harvest some organs from your prisoners before they gracelessly expire!
Depend how you want it.
Currently you it only made sense to transfer good traits, since the target you extract is dead after.
That is ok.

But with some more expensive research, you could add another non-lethal methode.
The extract target is just geting a very bad trait like burned out that give -50% consciousness. And an extractillness for a week that prevent another non-lethal extraction together with another -10% consciousness.

And with some further research, you even can extract without Burned out trait. Then you even can remove bad traits from your own colonist without consequence.

And yes i think there should be a limit how many traits can be added.
At first the normal display only show 8 traits (you can see more over the information).
Then i think each trait a pawn got, should decrease a succesful transfer chance, with a chance of death.

mcduff

AileTheAlien

Quote from: TolSatha on February 20, 2019, 03:59:23 AM
Quote from: AileTheAlien on February 19, 2019, 12:18:13 PM
Is there any limit on how many traits can be given to someone with these?

Well.. No. Not at the moment. Which I guess is kinda broken.
Think I should add one?
I'd actually prefer not to have any limit, actually. The whole point of things like these injectors, and bionics, is to make very powerful colonists. :)

TolSatha

Quote from: mcduff on February 20, 2019, 07:58:15 AM
Do you have a github?

I don't but if you're interested in the source code, the .dll file can very easily be decompiled. There are many free tools you can use, like dotPeek.
I use it as an aid while modding, to browse Rimworld's source code and figure out how things work. The file structure, variable names etc. are all preserved. The only thing lost are the comments (they are excluded when the code is compiled, so it's impossible to get them back)

togfox

I think the balance described in the OP is fine. I wouldn't put a limit and I would NOT 'down' them. They should die - to allow organ harvesting AS WELL as a trait seems too much. But that's just me. If you change the mod to 'down' them then I'll just extract and then melee them to death for the same outcome.   ;D

The prices seem a bit low. I don't know about other players, but silver seems cheap in the rim. Especially mid/late game which is the target for this mod. I routinely have over 5000 silver. Removing/adding a trait is a pretty powerful thing and needs to come at a steeper price. I'm guessing, for comparison, look at the cost of the different mech serums available.

Just checking - you can extract (not wipe) a negative trait by accident/by design and then give that negative trait to a pawn?

TolSatha

Quote from: togfox on February 20, 2019, 10:52:37 PM
The prices seem a bit low. I don't know about other players, but silver seems cheap in the rim. Especially mid/late game which is the target for this mod. I routinely have over 5000 silver. Removing/adding a trait is a pretty powerful thing and needs to come at a steeper price. I'm guessing, for comparison, look at the cost of the different mech serums available.

I kinda feel the same way, they should cost a bit more. I originally did base most of the stats on the Healer Mech Serum, which is why the price ended up a bit lower then it should. For comparison, the Healer Mech Serum has a base cost of 1300, the Resurrector Serum is 1700 and the Neurotrainers cost 750.
Currently the Wiping Mechanites cost 750, and the Scanning and Injector Mechanites are 1500 (this is of course modified by your pawn's social skill). What do you think a more balanced price would be? Something in the ballpark of 2500-3000?

Quote from: togfox on February 20, 2019, 10:52:37 PM
Just checking - you can extract (not wipe) a negative trait by accident/by design and then give that negative trait to a pawn?

Of course. Scanning and then injecting a trait works the same way regardless of what trait it is - there are no checks in the code for whether the trait is considered good or bad.
Not quite sure why you'd want to do that tho, but the option is there  ;D

togfox

I'd price it in the $2000 -> $2500 but everyone will have a different opinion.

Why would I collect negative traits? I'd want to make a cyborg with a really bad attitude and unleash him on some mechanoids.  8)

My reason for asking was to check if I could accidentally draw a negative buff and essentially waste that time and money.