Speedrun Challenge!

Started by Rhadamant, February 25, 2019, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhadamant

Hey Everyone!

Every now and then I cobble together ideas for community challenges (Like the Sea Ice one you might be familiar with) and now I've created a speedrun challenge that should allow you to flex your efficiency/min-max muscles.

Here's a video on the summary of the challenge:
https://youtu.be/OKrtwx_kpoY

If you'd prefer the text details, here they are.
THE CHALLENGE:
A Planet killing asteroid will hit Alderaan in just 120 days (2 years in RimWorld) and the challenge is to evacuate your doomsday cultists to safety. There is only two additional rules, you may not recruit anyone to your cult to help you escape and you may not settle other colonies or more your starting colony.

You start with an AI Persona Core.

SAVE FILE:
https://bit.ly/2Tf8yGP

SAVE FILE INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS:
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Save_file

SCENARIO INFORMATION:
The Doomsday scenario has the following incidents disabled to mitigate 'luck' in this challenge:

• No Caravan Meetings
  • No Resource Pod Crashes
  • No Self-Tame
  • No Farm Animals Wandering In
  • No Wanderers Join
  • No Transport Pod Crashes
  • No Chased Refugees
  • No Meteorite Impacts (Except for the planetkiller, hah!)
  • No Wildman wandering in
  • No Ship Chunk Drop
  • No Orbital Trader Arrivals
  • No Trade Caravan Arrivals
  • No Visitor Groups
  • No Traveler Groups
  • No Man in Black
  • No Ship Part Crash (Psychic)
  • No Ship Part Crash (Poison)
  • No Trade Requests
  • No Bandit Camp Requests
  • No Item Stash Requests
  • No Item Stash Requests (AI Core)
  • No Incapacitated Refugee Requests
  • No Prisoner Rescue Requests
  • No Peace Talks Quest
  • No Escape Ship Quest

Additionally some buildings have been disabled:

• No Transport Pods
  • No Comms Consoles

I hope you all like the idea enough to try the challenge out for yourselves! Just two years to get off the planet with no opportunity for trade or quests, you'll have to be completely self reliant! Good luck!

BRAOUG

Kinda not a speedrun when you have disabled all of the incidents :\ But looks like something I could try  to do sometime. With all of the incidents enabled I highly doubt it would have been possible without more time.

Rhadamant

The incidents were disabled to prevent luck from becoming a significant factor in completion time. Imagine an attempt where a person continually gets Plasteel cargo pod drops, for instance.

Other incidents disable your ability to trade so that you can't rely on fortunate trades to fuel your escape either.

Limdood

eh, the sea ice challenge was awesome.  I've started plenty of my own games like that since trying it...it opened my eyes to a new type of challenge.

This on the other hand...removing the randomness removes the "rimworld" from the game...its just a "do this thing in this way as efficiently as you can."  There's no sense of euphoria or frustration when an event gives an unexpected windfall or shortcoming (like a cargo pod drop or an infection in the sea ice challenge).

Honestly, some folks might like this, but for me it would be taking rimworld and removing the exciting and interesting bits.

TheMeInTeam

^Rimworld is a lot less random than you might think if you know all the events and prepare/invest properly.  For the purposes of comparing finish times or completing a narrow objective minimizing RNG is the correct choice.

120 days is a short timeframe for research and especially for gathering uranium.  Is the AI ship disabled (presumably the "escape ship" means that)?  If so this is certainly an optimization challenge, though I expect resources to bottleneck worse than tech if this isn't tribal.

Rhadamant

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 26, 2019, 03:12:58 PM
^Rimworld is a lot less random than you might think if you know all the events and prepare/invest properly.  For the purposes of comparing finish times or completing a narrow objective minimizing RNG is the correct choice.

120 days is a short timeframe for research and especially for gathering uranium.  Is the AI ship disabled (presumably the "escape ship" means that)?  If so this is certainly an optimization challenge, though I expect resources to bottleneck worse than tech if this isn't tribal.

There's no escape ship and you start off on an island with no other colonies on the island, so there's nobody to trade with at all. It's not tribal, but it ought to be plenty tough regardless.