Black screen on launch

Started by IsilthTerhroth, February 23, 2019, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsilthTerhroth

I followed the steps listed to a T. Deleted app data, uninstalled, moved rimworld steam folders and workshop folder, unsubscribed to mods, reinstalled graphic driver, no anti virus and windows defender off.

No idea why it won't allow me to play.

Canute

Hi,
could you maybe post the logfile, maybe that give a hint about it.
To locate the logfile read
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
to attach the logfile to your answer you need to press on Reply, then you got the option to attach files to your answer.

IsilthTerhroth

Here is the logfile.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Canute

Critical error in root Start(): System.ArgumentException: An empty file name is not valid.
  at System.IO.FileSystemInfo.CheckPath (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo..ctor (System.String path, Boolean simpleOriginalPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.DirectoryInfo..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.DirectoryInfo:.ctor (string)
  at Verse.GenFilePaths.get_SaveDataFolderPath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GenFilePaths.FolderUnderSaveData (System.String folderName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GenFilePaths.get_ConfigFolderPath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GenFilePaths.get_PrefsFilePath () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Prefs.Init () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Root.CheckGlobalInit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Root.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This is the 1. error.
I am totaly unsure how it interpret that, since i am not an expert into that.
But maybe i got a clue.
Did you change the arguments at the desktop shortcut to change some paths or such kind ?
Maybe these path show at some location rimworld can't access anymore (Appdata ...) and can't create new SavedData,Config folders.

IsilthTerhroth

I tried launching the game through the steamapp launcher and it still doesnt work. I have noticed that deleting the folders in appdata and reinstalling the game that they are still missing. Verified files, reinstalled. I don't know what the issue is.

I should note I did try moving my appdata to my HDD to save room and then switch it back. I don't know how to get rimworld to install to appdata if it needs though

Canute

Read the readme.txt at the rimworld installation.
Then try to use the command line arguments to set a different savedatafolder.
Maybe at the Rimworld installation.

IsilthTerhroth

Okay I got it to work by setting a different launch command line through steam properties. Although it doesn't recognize that its on steam. Progress! I am trying to get it to recognize steam api  through F:\Programs Files\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin64.exe-savedatafolder=F:\My Documents\Rim World with this and save the data to my HDD (F:). I don't like how games save all over the place, appdata, my documents ect.

Canute

When a folder path contain space, you should put the whole path into ""
so F:\My Documents\Rim World
into "F:\My Documents\Rim World"

Sorry i can't help you with the steam thing.