that time i really lost faith in this game

Started by mightyhuhn, February 27, 2019, 01:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on February 28, 2019, 05:50:15 PM
Drugs, drugs, drugs, and wooden logs.  Do not forget that many of your mood management situations can be solved by bludgeoning misbehaving pawns.  Very important when you have a pawn walking around insulting other pawns and driving *them* to break...

...but yes, the OP is correct that "barely surviving" a horrific raid really means you lost, because the mood penalties will ensure that the survivors eat each other.  The answer is that you really do need to load a prior save even though it seems like the 5 pawns still standing have a chance to put things back together.  Besides, you're forgetting that Cassandra will drop a dozen scythers / lancers on you in 12 hours.  You're dead anyway.

Psh....the solution there is clearly to make a caravan, grab all the food you can carry, and move 2 hexes over and resettle the healthy pawns in a new base.  You could abandon the other base, or you could keep it running in the background and occasionally send a pawn or two over to grab a few more resources while those scythers slowly demolish every single wall piece. 

Either way, the new colony will have garbage for colony wealth...easy raids!  yay!

I dunno...I've had way too many colony-exterminating events...but the ones i barely survive, losing half my pawns, etc...they always seem frustrating, but also kinda cool as it's like a new beginning...a new game started up out of the ashes of the old one, but now you have more backstory and connection than ever to those pawns who survived the first catastrophe.

kclace

I've been through this before. The moods will eventually stabilize and then you can start rebuilding.

Remember. It's not over until the last pawn is dead

avilmask

I have smokeleafs just for situations like this. Instant restoration of recreation and +15 on top of that and reduced pain. You could use some extra time to make fake operations on most whiny ones to place them under effect of anesthesia. Cleaning hospital in this case actually would be top 1 priority (dirty room, awful interior, two debuffs at time, + chance of infection). I even had some patients with their legs removed so they could not mess up their own healing (bionics are quite convenient, huh). If storyteller is merciful, after a couple of days you should be fine. As I know, storytellers count your loses from events, so it should be likely (except when it's Rendy).
Cases like that actually quite educational. They're not only allow you to analyze, how you could deal with an event better, but also how you should deal with consequences.

RicRider

I have some unsolicited advice, take it as you will!

I almost quit this game after an experience like yours. A week later I came back because I suddenly remembered that option that lets you build more than one colony. Ever since then I've been building 2-3 colonies and running them at the same time. You can have 40 pawns spread across 4 different maps and caravanning back and forth between them or whatever without the difficulty curve of having all that wealth on one map. I can't imagine playing this game any other way now and there's no more of the craziness that happens once you start getting in the 20+ pawn range when it comes to raids.

I've never built the ship and I never intend to; it's just not the way I play this game. For me it's a sandbox. I make my own goals like wiping out a faction or whatever or I use mods like the one that lets you build roads on the world map to link up with my allies.
##Coding Scrub##

Kirby23590

Actually smokeleaf is kinda bad, compared to Yayo... Since the withdraw is worse and when someone is stoned in smokeleaf, they are less efficient in working and also for fighting, i would only sell them unless there is a smokeleaf addict who is married to one of my best colonists or a cousin or relative so i don't want to you know...

No no i know what you're thinking, i banished them instead, unless they are a raider who killed my best person in the colony... :P

Don't give up! This game is not something where you want to beat it! You beat it by doing your own achievements or personal goals like what RicRider Said... I personally find otherways and learn from my mistakes from each playthrough and learn new stuff by accident or by !SCIENCE! with the help of dev mode...

The Escaping the ship ending can kinda get old, unless i wanna do a personal challenge to throw a cat out into space or when i get bored of course...

There are mods out there that change the game too... Some make it easier, while others make the game harder or even change it completely... This game is a sandbox, and your personal playground where you can play god... I prefer playing the merchant type instead of building a colony, play a nomad play through instead, those are the types of challenges that you will see... :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.