queries with the price

Started by Oddie23110, March 23, 2019, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddie23110

I like the appearance of Rimworld, but why does it cost the same at BFV? It seems good, but I' not quite ready to see if I'm willing to pay the same as a AAA title to play in case i dont enjoy it. Why must it cost so much?

Nafensoriel

On a pure feature count Rimworld is probably more feature rich than BFV. The only real downsides to rimworld are its graphics(and some of us like the graphics).

On the other coin remember Rimworld is also one of the highest rated games on steam and has been its entire development cycle. I know it seems like a lot of money but it most certainly is worth it if the gameplay is in your interest. Go look at some youtube videos or twitch videos and see if you like the game before you buy it.

Also remember.. mods mods mods!

Canute

Not to forget you don't have GigaBytes of 0day downloads like the most AAA games.

Kirby23590

Despite the low graphics and that...

The Game has a lower cost in your computer in disk space... And also if you install it or reinstall it, it will take like something on 8 minutes or 12 minutes depending on how fast your internet download speed is...

Compared to Triple AAA where it's like 12 Hours or gonna cost you like 1 gigabyte...

And there is Mods... And don't forget there is also a Multiplayer Mod as well, if you want to play with your friends if they both have Rimworld regardless if they got it from Ludeon or from Steam... ;)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

BoogieMan

By BFV do you mean Battlefield V?

The question isn't why Rimworld costs the same as BFV, but why BFV costs the same as Rimworld.

Battlefield V is only in the same price range as Rimworld because of generally poor sales and reception. It's price dropped mere weeks after being released which is just insulting to everyone who paid full price. Also you'd be giving money to EA. Rimworld is that price because it's a small indie game, but of high quality and excellent reception which is why the price has stayed at that level.

Do with that info what you will.

Jibbles

okay those are completely different games so I'd recommend not to compare them.  Should almost be irrelevant if it's a AAA or an indie game when it comes to price these days.  I've seen plenty of good and bad from both sides out there.

The download size shouldn't be the selling point. The big feature is the modding support this game has.  Dev has made it easy for people to throw mods at it and there's a lot out there.  I will say that it's a bit difficult to find mods that are vanilla-like and balanced, but there are mods out there that can change the game completely or even small whacky mods if that is more of your taste.

As for the price I personally think it's too high for the games current state, but I've also heard players saying they'd pay $80+ for it.  It just kind of depends on what dev will do to change my opinion, but it is supposedly finish and no major content update are expected to be added. Players opinions what any game is worth is subjective so I'd recommend to keep watching videos and only wait til you feel comfortable purchasing it.  Maybe you can catch it on sale one day.

Nafensoriel

Just because someone might be curious I want to expand on something Jibbles said about game size.

Most games are actually pretty small "code" wise. What causes "AAA" titles to be gigabytes is sound and textures. If its an internationally released game any video or voice overs are duplicated for localization purposes and can balloon game sizes in a hurry.

Rimworld... has none of those issues graphically and as such it can be both technically very complex and feature-rich but also very small in file size.