Toxic fallout and other catestrophic events

Started by Demoulius, April 27, 2019, 01:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoulius

Hi all,

Last week I had a 10 day long toxic fallout. It happened at the worst of times, during the start of winter. Basicly all the animals dissapeared off the map. Either because they died and decayed or they just left. Luckily I tend to ensure that my freezer is full for winter so that in itself wasent a big issue. But I had no ways of regaining any meat to supplement my stores.

I had to coop all my live stock (about 10 Muffalo and 10 Alpacas) up inside my rec area which caused my colonists some annoyances and my people kept getting a high amount of toxic fallout build up in their system. I had about 3 colonists who kept falling over from the toxic build up. I lost a combat cougar and a colonist and a few puppies got Dementia from the toxic fallout as well.

Im an ingame year later and the landscape still hasent fully recovered from that. Trees and grass have regrown but it still a mere shadow of its former self.

Do you guys have any stories of an apocalypse strolling through your merry way?

Canute

Just type "Toxic fallout" at the search box at the top right side of the forum and you will find many stories and help how to surive them ! :-)

tsmt1001

Hydroponics are your friend. I push that research as well as geothermal and solar, because those sun lamps are energy hogs.

The Muffalo Man

I had one for a couple days and I just had my pawns stay inside. I had no problem with food as I have a room with a sun lamp and heaters that grows plants (my spot has a 10 day growing season).

Demoulius

My colony is on a very decent temporate forest. Aside from winter I can pretty much grow year round. Sadly my colony has precious little room for hydroponics and when the toxic fallout strolled by it was already to late to start with them  :-[

What kicked my arse the most was the length of the toxic fallout. 10 days is almost an entire season. Mind you it was winter so I couldnt grow plants anyway but the dissapearance of animals meant I couldnt grow my food supply in that way either...

Canute

QuoteMy colony is on a very decent temporate forest. Aside from winter I can pretty much grow year round. Sadly my colony has precious little room for hydroponics and when the toxic fallout strolled by it was already to late to start with them  :-[
You should imidatly roof that growing area to protect the plant from dieing.
You still can build a sunlamp + generator afterwards.
Believe me 10 days is a pretty short duration.
And on longterms even on perma summer maps, i got 1-2 protected sunlamp frields with valueable stuff like devilstrand. When raiders come and set this on fire, it hurt you more then when your rice is burning.

Xaviien

I just had Toxic Fallout that lasted an entire season.
In the end I took my most useful colonists out in a caravan to rescue prisoners and fulfil trade orders. Of course there was a raid at home on our way back, our herds were starving, and all in all it was a horrible experience.

10/10 would rather go camping as soon as the fallout begins, and let the defences take care of any raid.

Also grass takes way to long to regrow.

Demoulius

Yikes, a full season  :o

10 days is only 5 days short of an entire season but I think if I had gotten a full season people would have died...

When building this colony I sadly spread my growing zones around all over the place, forget to factor in space for hydroponics and overall went for story based colony rather then effeciency which kicked me in the arse this time.

I survived but damn did I learn from it  ;D