Dealing with ship launch since 1.0 and base defence

Started by Asket, March 11, 2019, 05:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asket

Hello there!

So far I've been looking for some examples of successful attempts to launch the ship with "new" 15-day raids, and found almost none.
In my current base I am relying on:
- High skilled shooting colonist with good guns
- Marine and flak armor (almost of all them are tainted/looted)
- Several traps (~10) in entrance to my "shooting range"
- Double/triple layer walls with doors to look for opening into sappers
- Several turrets (~8) inside "shooting range" to provide additional firepower (damn mechas!)
- Just a few of turrets scattered around the base, to buy some time vs airdrops/infestations
- A bit of trained husky assigned to key colonist to provide melee distractions (I was un(?)lucky to find only 1 melee pawn, so almost of them are ranged)
- A few traps (~8) in front of colonists in the end of shooting range
- A few explosive IED and a roof on wooden wall on top of shooting range

My colonists are wearing everyday clothes by default, in case of raid we rush toward armor and jump into it.

So far so good, even a rush of damn 18 melee scythers can be handled with few legs/hands cutted around and some blood spent.

The problem is - my defense requires some tome to:
- Heal wounds
- Rearm traps (+craft bricks)
- Repair, reinstall walls inside shooting range (+bricks)
- Rebuild walls, roofs
- Reinstall IEDs

And it takes like, ahem, from 3 to 7 days to get everything done (depending on the amount of new builds inside my base).

So my question is - how the hell am I supposed to beat the 15 day non-stop assault without loosing ship/most of the pawns?

Seems like one can stockpile lots of traps, steel, bricks, bionics in order to minimize time repairing the whole thing, but still looks like I am missing something.

As I get it you have 4 allied factions with +100 rep each which gives you 100/25 = 4*4 = 16 calls for assist.

Yet 15 days of 3-5 raids per day seems like a bit off for me.

Am I missing something? How do we win this?

inb4 just build more dacka-dackas

Current game: Extreme desert / randy rough / ship crush / vanilla
Parallel game: Taiga / randy merciless / naked brutality / vanilla

P.S. Multiplayer mod is great, do recommend :3

Kirby23590

What is your weapons that your guys are equipped with?

Do you have Charge Rifles? Charge Lances? Saved some doomsday launchers and have some Frags and EMP grenades?

I mean seriously EMP Greandes including EMP IEDs and EMP Mortars will help you out against Mechanoid attacks and Raids by stunning them for a while and getting free hits on em' before they adapt shoot out their charge lances or their inferno cannons...

And also how many turrets do you have? i mean types like not just mini-turrets but Autocannons and Uranium Slug Turrets? Autocannons and Uranium Slug Turrets have a better chance fighting against centipedes while mini-turrets not so much with their low hitpoints... Also Autocannons and Slug turrets can also instantly kill human raiders or some curtain manhunting animals that's the power with those turrets...

Flak Armor? Do you mean? Flak vests? Or Flak Jackets? I mostly deck out my conscripts and militia with full flak jackets with combat helmets and save the best ones for the highly skilled fighters with Full decked Marine Armor...

You might wanted consider making your guys and using drugs... And when i mean drugs i mean Go-Juice and Yayo... Go-Juice makes them go faster while making them take more hits to go down before the effect wears off along with other benefits and Yayo is good for keeping your guys from being unhappy or going in stupid mental breaks especially in firefights, don't use both of them or otherwise your guys will overdose very easily and will hurt their fighting abilities!

Since you didn't say you have any dope, yayo or go-juice in your post...

However since you can get wounds, avoid unnecessary damages and it's mostly okay to use trained animals as sacrifices to those mechanoids as they will buy you time and also prevent them using their deadlier ranged weapons such as inferno cannons and charge lances...

You can also lock down a lone lancer in melee even though your guy is ranged, their punches are less worse then their charge lances, trust me it's better than losing a limb from a charge lance and getting punched by a lancer, since bruises are more easier to heal than cuts or bullet holes...

Also you didn't say anything about mortars, they are a nice support despite being super inaccurate, but a hit against a group of raiders will get heavily damaged or kill some of them or even damage one of those slow centipedes.

Also keep wearing your armor don't ditch it! Wearing and rewearing them hurts especially if it's flak armor or marine armor especially if a raid drops into your base inside! Just keep wearing it since the equipping delay might waste your precious time when the raiders jump into the gates or drop in your base! But since the armor you have is tainted and looted from dead raiders, your guys will be unhappy unless you keep em' happy...

BTW You can uninstall and reinstall mini-turrets and IEDs including Spike traps, Mini-turrets can stay in important locations inside your base while the big turrets like autocannons and uranium slug turrets stay outside or in your shooting ranges... So build them in a safe room or where the resources are nearby and uninstall them and put them to a location where you needed them in... like say in a corner or a place where the raiders always go to...

If you are allied to an industrial faction like the outlanders, you can call them in the comms console at a cost of goodwill for back up and they can be a good distraction to those mechanoids or those raiders... When one of them dies they will drop free weapons and stuff or even call their caravans for supplies as well such as food and weapons or armor and resources such metal and components.

Your Walls depend on how strong the Material is, For example the Granite is the best stone for defenses and Plasteel has the highest hitpoints at the cost of being flammable...

I don't know if you are really missing go-juice or yayo and those drugs to help you out in those raids or the equipment your guys are using...

Good luck out there Soldier, and Godspeed, I will see you in the Glitterworld if you can make it!
-K

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Limdood

@Kirby:  I would skip flak jackets entirely.  Flak vests or nothing at all is the way to go.  Check the damage resistances.  Flak jacket damage resistance to sharp is so low that even weak weapons will reduce the armor value to under 30% before that random100 roll.  Flak vests don't protect the arms, but have MUCH higher sharp resistance, so while you're more likely to take bleeding, higher damage hits on the arms, you're also MUCH more likely to negate or halve dangerous hits on the torso and organs.

Also, steel plate armor, while it comes with a significant movement speed reduction, has very nice damage resistances and coverage for it's value, so might be a good option to make some high quality sets of it for melee and short ranged shooters for the spaceship raid countdown.

@OP:
Do you have trapped approaches?  Like, an open-door path straight into your base with traps, while your colonists use a different entrance?  If not, I highly recommend one...but in this case, i highly recommend TWO.  Put a door on the end of each, and have one of them open.  After a raid comes and springs all the traps, close the sprung side door, and hold the fresh side door open while your people rebuild the spring traps in relative safety.

Also, right before starting the spaceship sequence, make sure that both outlander factions are at 100 relationship, and the tribal factions are ENEMIES.  This will increase the pool of potential raiding factions from 2 to 4, which drops your chance of mech raids from 50 to 25%.  Additionally, the 100 relationship outlanders can be called in for support on raids that are badly timed (need to heal up, repair, etc.) while you micromanage getting defenses in place for when the outlanders die or the next raid.

And use mortars.  Several mortars.  It makes any "prepare and attack" raid into a no-casualty win in a lot of cases.

If you're managing wealth, remember that each raid will substantially increase your wealth, by leaving weapons and apparel all over.  Incendiary mortars, or a molotov wielder on cleanup duty can generally handle that quickly, removing that wealth before the next raid hits.  To that end, you also have the option of packing all the gear you don't need onto a caravan, and ditching it one hex out from your base.  Keep only weapons, armor, food for 17 days, medicine, resources to rebuild defenses, and a few drugs for mood issues, and ditch ALL your other wealth, and that will also reduce raid size considerably.  It's not like having 5500 silver will help you launch the ship after all.

Kirby23590

@Limdood

Well i kinda prefer using Flak Jackets, For protection since i mostly use them for Caravaning or just prefer flak vests only with helmets and also since i use mods, i used Simple Sidearms since Marine Armor or Plate Armor is to heavy for my guys who use a Grenade Launcher and needing to keep a Good Backup weapon...

But Plate Armor is also good, In Steel or with Plasteel... My guys easily die without armor or go down unless there's a charge lance lancer... So what could you do...

Just keep my words about them Go-Juices since the effects almost negates the movement penalty of the Marine Armor and Plate Armor while making them kinda beat some nakeds in a foot race... So grab a Go-Juice! Go-go Juice! Grab one now!

Golden

Get rid of anything you won't need for those 15 days.  Keep just enough materials to feed your colonists/animals and fix your defenses and replace/repair weapons and armor.

Asket

So raids still scale with wealth of your colony during that 15-days period?
Hmmm, seems like migrating to a new base or stripping everything away is a viable tactic, thanks.

@Kirby - I have 3 charge rifles at this moment, 1 charge lance (it s too weak in terms of DPS actually), 1 masterwork bolt-action rifle and an uranium mace. The rest are assault rifles - they do win the DPS race overall. I do have drugs, but I am afraid of getting pawns addicted. Also there is not enough space in my shooting range to kite melee enemies. Yes, I do have a pack of EMP grenades vs mechas. Probably I should mark a storage of EMP IEDs near my shooting range and install them if mecha raid is coming.

Here is my current defense setup:
Halp, how do I insert an image as preview? It is attached to this post.

I am not fond of idea to wear armor 24/7 because it get damaged quickly and you need tons of resources to keep that marine armor coming.

Actually I do love the idea of "slow armor wearing" nerf, seems balanced and reasonable - you simply do not wear armor 24/7 IRL. Probably marking a dedicated pawn or two inside your base who is "on duty" to buy some time is legit. Thanks about idea of preparing IED and traps in advance - seems legit.

So have anyone of you guys actually managed to launch a ship these days? Last time i saw ingame credits was in Alpha 15.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Kirby23590

Looks good, but i'm sure about the roof tactic against them mechanoids since they have the armor to resist it especially against those centipedes...

And i realized those stone traps aren't gonna do enough damage against them robotic tin cans, plasteel is expensive but steel spike traps can help you, but will eat your ammunition for your turrets.

I would prefer autocannons since the uranium slug turrets have low DPS, and will only accept uranium for ammo replenishment compared to the autocannon turrets where it prefers steel...

Also them mechnoids lancers and centipedes don't care about cover and prefer in the open where they stay like sitting giant ducks.

And i were you with those dead rotting corpses of those fallen enemies from those pirates or those ooga booga tribes and that rough outlanders... I will leave their corpses to rot and leave them outside, though throwing in a Molotov to remove the corpses in a roofed area can make them go away, so that your colonists won't freak out or get grossed out from the sight of it.

Well don't be afraid of your colonists are going to get addicted to go-juice, give it to someone who needs a huge boost in combat, and if he or she gets addicted to it. Just be sure you have more of it and if you have a ton it, don't use them if you don't have it all or they will suffer a withdraw... ;)

Well if you want to insert your image, check out imgur my friend, that's how we post screenshots in here or if you have steam and if you uploaded it to your steam profile, you can use it as well... ;)

zizard

BLACK_FR

First of all. Before activating reactor prepare all you need (bricks and so on) for 15-day siege and get rid of all unneeded stuff. That's crucial. No stockpile of bionics.
Secondly, always wear you armor. It can survive 15 days of use.
Thirdly, have a good stockpile of go-juice. It really helps. Don't be afraid of addiction, just be ready for heart attack.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

tsmt1001

I build 10+ automatic mortars and missile turrets in my inner courtyard.  I keep them on 'hold fire' most of the time, so that they don't go off for animal revenge. Before I turn on the reactor, I make sure all animals and colonists are safely within the walls and turn the turrets on. The raiders take a lot of beating from them before they reach the entrance. I didn't try this on difficulty above medium, though.